From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 2018 Social Security and other beneficiary COLA Announced

Message 1 of 21

I will post that All you were correct.  and I was misinformed.  I also did a lot of research and found out what you all have posted.

So. I was wrong/  Smiley Sad

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

I guess that I am not explaining my position correctly.

I do or have not questionedthefact that any non citizen that is a legal immigrant   have the right to SS benefits. Of course they do. theyfunction pretty much under the same rues that any citizen of the US.

What I am questioning is the immigration law that allows legal immigrants to bring elderly family members. and then those members after they comply with very lax laws that will provide those individuals  to have SS benefits.
They have if anything contributed to the SS about a year and a half and reported a yearly income of 1200. I know for a fact of many of those immigrants that have employed those elderly individuals so they say that they have for a year contributed & apply for SS benefits and I believe Medicare and Medicaid.

You are providing me with laws that I know.Again, I am not questioning the rights of non citizens receiving SS benefits. and all the laws surrounding them.

Hoping that perhaps now, You can all see the difference in what I am saying and what you are providing.

I read your link and it seems if you come to the U.S. and work for 1.5 years (your example) paying into the SS system, under the "Totalization System" (if the country has the agreement with the U.S.), if your total quarters (outside U.S. & inside U.S.) may make you eligible for collecting SS here. I've got to believe that in those cases, the foreign government is paying (hopefully) the U.S. their proportion of the the monthly SS payment.

NOTHAPPENING is exactly right, this provision of a legal immigrant, from a Totalization country, is only in place IF the person is lacking the number of work hours required based on their work history in the other country.

NOBODY gets benefits just working 1.5 year making a little over $5000 per year.

Yes, the other country pays us what the beneficiary is due from their system, the immigrant is vested and receives benefits based on their work record in the other country and here.

Did you read about all the unclaimed or unmatched funds that employers submit and our way of handling them.  

rker321, only those ADULT immigrants that have been in the country for 5-years get access to things like SSI and Medicaid and If they enter the country under the family rule, part of the sponsors income is counted towards any welfare benefit eligibility.

System sounds fine to me in regards to the family unity rules of immigration.

I'm still concerned about all that mismatched money probably coming from  illegals working here under phony SS numbers - gee they could at least use a number of some citizen that needs a bigger check !!!!!!!!!!

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@rker321 If I'm reading the posts correctly (esp the excellent one from Gail), the "elderly immigrant parent" must qualify for benefits same as anyone else, meaning NO SS-retirement payment because they haven't worked the minimum 40 quarters. They MIGHT qualify for a payment from the General Fund designed to aid the indigent elderly, but to qualify, they will have to include (a portion of??) the income of the person who sponsored their immigration as their income. Since that amount of "pledged support" from the sponsor has to be enough to support the immigrant, it seems any payment they got would be miniscule.As for Medicare/Medicaid, Medicare Part A, like SS, requires a minimum of 40 quarters of contributions, so the immigrant would NOT be able to receive Medicare part A, and without Part A, would not qualify for any other Medicare benefit. Medicaid is a "welfare" program and again the elderly immigrant MIGHT quailfy, but only if their income plus the "support amount" from their sponsor is below the threshold for Medicaid.

Does this help?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@rker321 wrote:

I do or have not questionedthefact that any non citizen that is a legal immigrant   have the right to SS benefits. Of course they do. theyfunction pretty much under the same rues that any citizen of the US.

What I am questioning is the immigration law that allows legal immigrants to bring elderly family members. and then those members after they comply with very lax laws that will provide those individuals  to have SS benefits.
They have if anything contributed to the SS about a year and a half and reported a yearly income of 1200. I know for a fact of many of those immigrants that have employed those elderly individuals so they say that they have for a year contributed & apply for SS benefits and I believe Medicare and Medicaid.

You are providing me with laws that I know.Again, I am not questioning the rights of non citizens receiving SS benefits. and all the laws surrounding them.

Hoping that perhaps now, You can all see the difference in what I am saying and what you are providing.

I read your link and it seems if you come to the U.S. and work for 1.5 years (your example) paying into the SS system, under the "Totalization System" (if the country has the agreement with the U.S.), if your total quarters (outside U.S. & inside U.S.) may make you eligible for collecting SS here. I've got to believe that in those cases, the foreign government is paying (hopefully) the U.S. their proportion of the the monthly SS payment.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@GailL1 wrote:

Here ya go,'rker321

Everything you always wanted to know from history to current day (2016)

I haven't read it yet but it is from a very reliable source -

(CRS) Congressional,Research Service

EveryCRSReport.com - Social,Security Benefits for NONcitizens

I have been waiting all month to get this really important report. Please will you read it and give us a full break down. This has to be the important thing that has happened today. So glad you did all the research to find it. I am sure everyone will want to read it and spend hours talking about it with you.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Here ya go,'rker321

Everything you always wanted to know from history to current day (2016)

I haven't read it yet but it is from a very reliable source -

(CRS) Congressional,Research Service

EveryCRSReport.com - Social,Security Benefits for NONcitizens

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

One of the things that President Trump is trying to do is to deal with new Immigration laws. and terminate the family chain type of immigration that we have had for years, and that has provided many new immigrants bring their families and elderly  into the US and the system.

Perhaps I am wrong. but, I don't agree that people that migrate into the US and take advantage of our laws in order to receive the benefits that we provide in this country.
If they pass this new law, that option will be terminated, and then anyone that needs to come into the US will have to apply separately from their family members.
Personally have encountered many green card holders of many nationalities, that have brought their parents and have taken care of the qualifications that they need to do in  order to have their parents on SS and Medicaid and Medicare when they have not put anything into the system.
I fully understand the international agreements with other countries, I am not speaking about those. I am speaking at the abuse that our very lax laws have provided many with benefits that they shouldn't have.
If I want to live in Mexico or Costa Rica or in another country, yes I can take my ss with me and will have to also deal with laws that will apply to me in that case.
If I had a full retirement in another country yes there are ways in which the laws will help you. 
Those are not the cases that I am speaking about. I am not going to name the nationalities of people that I am familiar with, because that could be construed as a racist comment. but I am tired of seeing things like this happening.
I feel that our SS and Medicare is our benefit and whether you are a citizen or not if you have contributed to those funds is fine. but, if you have not contributed to those funds, then I don't see as to why they should have those benefits.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@rker321 wrote:

Gail  one of your links is  providing you the information. Yes, you can collect SS benefits  if over 65  and they explain how.
If you immigrate to the United States when you’re 65 or older, can you draw Social Security benefits just like an American citizen? Under some circumstances the answer is yes. In other cases you can draw your home country’s equivalent of Social Security benefits even if you immigrate to the United States. And some immigrants qualify to draw benefits from both countries. Here’s an overview of how the rules work.

Read more: Immigrants Over 65 and Social Security Benefits | Investopedia http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/030816/immigrants-over-65-and-social-security-... 
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

I have seen many of the sponsors that act as employers in order to have their eledelly qualify for SS once they work over a year and a halp and make at least 1200 a year.
Look I don't know whether your post is agreeing with me or not.  but you have provided the rules in which you can see that under  different circumstances the elderly that arrives as a legal immigrant will be able to qualify for SS and perhaps is Medicaid but still they qualify for many of those programs.  such as welfare food stamps etc.

Some info for you. The SS rules on qualifying for benefits have been pretty much the same for years. When SS was created no one had paid anything into the system,  so there were rules set in place to get them into the system quickly. My grandmother worked for about 3 years in a High School Lunch room and then was eligible. (For me this was great All lunch ladies gave me big portion's). She had my Grandfathers RR retirement benefit to. She lived for a lot of years so got more out than she put in. They system is designed to be paid for by the current people paying in, not by what each person puts in. People from out side the US who are eligible as Gail pointed out have to meet the rules  the system is designed for that. We save money by having SS this way. It cuts costs in other areas that would be used to provide things to them.  We have a lot of people on SS who move to another country when they go on SS. Mexico has quite a number of places like this. There is one not far south of the border between my state and Mexico. Other countries have the same thing with their retires moving. When I was in Turkey we visited such a town. It was British. Everything was in English, and everything was the same as if they were still living GB except money, banking, flag (even though GB flag was flown). This is not a problem.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@rker321

All I am telling you is that an elderly parent who comes to the US has to meet certain (work) conditions to qualify for a Social Security benefit and Medicare and they maybe different for each depending on how long and for how much ($$$) they worked. 

The eligibility is based on their work record - and yes, if we have an international agreement with their country, they can get benefits here - paid for by their country via our Social Security office of International Affairs. 

I agree with this:  NOBODY gets the benefit of Social Security without working - there are others - children, spouses who can draw based on your own benefit.

SSA.gov - U.S. International Program

However, I do not see the countries of China, Pakisan, Latin America (Mexico)?, or India listed -

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors