Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 18 Months Into Me Too, Male Bosses Are Afraid To Meet With Female Employees

Message 71 of 105

@BigLib wrote:

Wow. It really is astounding how people feel entitled to put their hands on other people, and will spew any excuse to defend it. It makes me doubly appreciate the professionals I was lucky enough to have worked with over the years.

Only when the established relationship has pointed to the acceptability of  a handshake including the other hand on the arm and, when called for, a pat on the back. This applies, BTW, gender neutral.

This is not the casting couch nor playing Santa as someone else suggested. It is just normal actions between friends who happen to work together. Let's not try to make it "hop in the sack for a promotion".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 105

Wow. It really is astounding how people feel entitled to put their hands on other people, and will spew any excuse to defend it. It makes me doubly appreciate the professionals I was lucky enough to have worked with over the years.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 105

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

That is a good way of looking at it, but there are other situations. Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

And then there is the common, human action of consoling someone who has lost a loved one and there is often physicality involved. What a shame to lose such plain every-day humanity. If you really like a person you have worked with in the past and haven'r seen her for a while, "Oh, it is good to see you" with a hug just seems right - if she is not onboard with that, the message would have been delivered (and hopefully understood) before the "event".

Yes, there are lecherous  out there. But it is a shame for all people, men and women, to lose simple, human interaction acceptable to both over concerns created by the "looking for something to complain about" few.

Even many men do not appreciate someone invading their space. I go one do not appreciate a physical pat on the back or a hug at work for any reason.

And I am sure you convey that with your demeanor so it probably isn't an issue.

What is so difficult about just speaking politely and keeping your hands to yourself?

Absolutely nothing except for the loss of humanity. But, if you are wanting only "purely business" relationships with no friendliness involved, I, again,  assume your demeanor will assure that.

Since when has being polite equated to loss of humanity?

As you mentioned in another topic, lack of maturity harms reasonable discussion or doesn’t that apply when it is you showing the lack of maturity?

Being friendly does not indicate a lack of maturity. Except to those who are so up tight that they are incapable of interacting with other people without first checking some series of arbitrary rules.

Apparently you seem to think that sexual harassment is alright as long as you feel good about it. Why do you spend so much energy defending the abuser and blaming the victim? Were you one of the abusers?

If you don’t know whether someone will see your hug as welcome or harassment you don’t know that person well enough to hug them.

I  do not think sexual harassment is O.K. Where have I defended an abuser or blamed a victim?

You are right about having to know the person. That was my point, knowing each other and acting accordingly. I just believe that it is possible to have a friendly relationship with a co-worker, certainly not with every co-worker, but a "one size fits all" approach is not needed either. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

That is a good way of looking at it, but there are other situations. Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

And then there is the common, human action of consoling someone who has lost a loved one and there is often physicality involved. What a shame to lose such plain every-day humanity. If you really like a person you have worked with in the past and haven'r seen her for a while, "Oh, it is good to see you" with a hug just seems right - if she is not onboard with that, the message would have been delivered (and hopefully understood) before the "event".

Yes, there are lecherous  out there. But it is a shame for all people, men and women, to lose simple, human interaction acceptable to both over concerns created by the "looking for something to complain about" few.

Even many men do not appreciate someone invading their space. I go one do not appreciate a physical pat on the back or a hug at work for any reason.

And I am sure you convey that with your demeanor so it probably isn't an issue.

What is so difficult about just speaking politely and keeping your hands to yourself?

Absolutely nothing except for the loss of humanity. But, if you are wanting only "purely business" relationships with no friendliness involved, I, again,  assume your demeanor will assure that.

Since when has being polite equated to loss of humanity?

As you mentioned in another topic, lack of maturity harms reasonable discussion or doesn’t that apply when it is you showing the lack of maturity?

Being friendly does not indicate a lack of maturity. Except to those who are so up tight that they are incapable of interacting with other people without first checking some series of arbitrary rules.

Apparently you seem to think that sexual harassment is alright as long as you feel good about it. Why do you spend so much energy defending the abuser and blaming the victim? Were you one of the abusers?

If you don’t know whether someone will see your hug as welcome or harassment you don’t know that person well enough to hug them.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 105

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/22/18-months-male-bosses-afraid-meet-female-employees/

It's THE FEDERALIST, folks...........

Remember, the rag is published by an admitted serial plagiarist who couldn't get a job anywhere else because of his repeated plagiarism.

This dude even published a story that one of the Supreme Court justices was gay. Of course, his source was no where to be found and he had to issue a public apology.

A rag that published an opinion that older men should "have relations" with underage girls in order to populate the United States.

Would you use a source like this, would you????????????

Does that mean that Ms. Jashinsky is wrong. If so, - no point commenting on this topic since it is based on her words.

BTW - I saw nothing about a gay Justice in her article so how is that a factor?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 105

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/22/18-months-male-bosses-afraid-meet-female-employees/

Remember, the rag is published by an admitted serial plagiarist who couldn't get a job anywhere else because of his repeated plagiarism.

This dude even published a story that one of the Supreme Court justices was gay. Of course, his source was no where to be found and he had to issue a public apology.

A rag that published an opinion that older men should "have relations" with underage girls in order to populate the United States.

Does that mean that Ms. Jashinsky is wrong. If so, - no point commenting on this topic since it is based on her words.

BTW - I saw nothng about a gay Justice in her article so how is that a factor?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 105

@Richva wrote:

I have worked in "friendly business environments" and I have worked in environments where the boss "offered" to let the ladies sit on his lap and tell them what they wanted for Xmas.  

At the end of the day, there is a code of professional conduct. It would be nice if it were unwritten but most places have a written one.  Don't touch when not specifically invited.  Don't make suggestive comments. Don't sleep with the staff. 

If you are afraid to be alone with your staff, you need to go to HR and discuss it with them. 

Another case of strange translation. In this case, simple normal interaction between adults in a friendly business environment becomes lap sitting and Christmas wish lists. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 105

@jimc91 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 105

I have worked in "friendly business environments" and I have worked in environments where the boss "offered" to let the ladies sit on his lap and tell them what they wanted for Xmas.  

At the end of the day, there is a code of professional conduct. It would be nice if it were unwritten but most places have a written one.  Don't touch when not specifically invited.  Don't make suggestive comments. Don't sleep with the staff. 

If you are afraid to be alone with your staff, you need to go to HR and discuss it with them. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 105

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Exactly. Look what happened to innocent JoeBidenn.  He was simply being friendly and the conservative media made a big deal out of "invading personal space" and  "touching without permission". Heck, Look at poor, misunderstood Don Trump. He grabbed a few women by the genitals in a simple  attempt to be friendly and the press made a big deal out of it. 

Going off the deep end as always.

Read what I posted and try to visualize yourself in a friendlyl business environment as I described it and see if you do not agree with the basic theory that is would be a shame - for all parties concerned - to sour it.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors