From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 18 Months Into Me Too, Male Bosses Are Afraid To Meet With Female Employees

Message 81 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

Being friendly does not indicate a lack of maturity. Except to those who are so up tight that they are incapable of interacting with other people without first checking some series of arbitrary rules.

Exactly. Look what happened to innocent Joe Biden.  He was simply being friendly and the conservative media made a big deal out of "invading personal space" and  "touching without permission". Heck, Look at poor, misunderstood Don Trump. He grabbed a few women by the genitals in a simple  attempt to be friendly and the press made a big deal out of it. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 105

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

That is a good way of looking at it, but there are other situations. Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

And then there is the common, human action of consoling someone who has lost a loved one and there is often physicality involved. What a shame to lose such plain every-day humanity. If you really like a person you have worked with in the past and haven'r seen her for a while, "Oh, it is good to see you" with a hug just seems right - if she is not onboard with that, the message would have been delivered (and hopefully understood) before the "event".

Yes, there are lecherous  out there. But it is a shame for all people, men and women, to lose simple, human interaction acceptable to both over concerns created by the "looking for something to complain about" few.

Even many men do not appreciate someone invading their space. I go one do not appreciate a physical pat on the back or a hug at work for any reason.

And I am sure you convey that with your demeanor so it probably isn't an issue.

What is so difficult about just speaking politely and keeping your hands to yourself?

Absolutely nothing except for the loss of humanity. But, if you are wanting only "purely business" relationships with no friendliness involved, I, again,  assume your demeanor will assure that.

Since when has being polite equated to loss of humanity?

As you mentioned in another topic, lack of maturity harms reasonable discussion or doesn’t that apply when it is you showing the lack of maturity?

Being friendly does not indicate a lack of maturity. Except to those who are so up tight that they are incapable of interacting with other people without first checking some series of arbitrary rules.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 105

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

What is so difficult about just speaking politely and keeping your hands to yourself?

Absolutely nothing except for the loss of humanity. But, if you are wanting only "purely business" relationships with no friendliness involved, I, again,  assume your demeanor will assure that.

If you're the touchy-feely person, that behavior can evoke the "purely business" response. Not everyone, man or woman, wants a coworker clawing all over them all the dang time. And not everyone sees a clingy coworker as displaying humanity.

"Clawing all over them all the dang time' and "clingy" are your words, not mine.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

That is a good way of looking at it, but there are other situations. Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

And then there is the common, human action of consoling someone who has lost a loved one and there is often physicality involved. What a shame to lose such plain every-day humanity. If you really like a person you have worked with in the past and haven'r seen her for a while, "Oh, it is good to see you" with a hug just seems right - if she is not onboard with that, the message would have been delivered (and hopefully understood) before the "event".

Yes, there are lecherous  out there. But it is a shame for all people, men and women, to lose simple, human interaction acceptable to both over concerns created by the "looking for something to complain about" few.

Even many men do not appreciate someone invading their space. I go one do not appreciate a physical pat on the back or a hug at work for any reason.

Since when has being polite equated to loss of humanity?

As you mentioned in another topic, lack of maturity harms reasonable discussion or doesn’t that apply when it is you showing the lack of maturity?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 105

18 Months Into Me Too, Male Bosses Are Afraid To Meet With Female Employees

Whats the world coming to, you can't grab women by the bleep anymore and then become President or get appointed to the Supreme Court for life.

Oh wait.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

If you're the touchy-feely person, that behavior can evoke the "purely business" response. Not everyone, man or woman, wants a coworker clawing all over them all the dang time. And not everyone sees a clingy coworker as displaying humanity.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 105

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 105

@BigLib wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

I'll let you in on a little secret - we women know how to shake hands, too. And it's also customary to shake a man's hand as a gesture of congratulations. So try offering a handshake, instead of thinking a woman wants you beating on her back like she's a long-lost drinking buddy.

The back beating and drinking buddy are yours, not mine.

Often the hand-shake and the pat are a package - and that can be gender neutral. But, thanks for the little secret.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 105

Ooops!!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors