From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 18 Months Into Me Too, Male Bosses Are Afraid To Meet With Female Employees

Message 91 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

I'll let you in on a little secret - we women know how to shake hands, too. And it's also customary to shake a man's hand as a gesture of congratulations. So try offering a handshake, instead of thinking a woman wants you beating on her back like she's a long-lost drinking buddy.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 105

Just remember that the criteria for determining whether a set of policies are a failure  is NOT whether some of the people affected don't like them.  No matter what whack job excuses they offer.  

Just sayin'

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 105

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

That is a good way of looking at it, but there are other situations. Example, when congratulating a man a pat on the back is common, In our modern days a woman who wants to  e treated equally might complain about "Invading my space".

And then there is the common, human action of consoling someone who has lost a loved one and there is often physicality involved. What a shame to lose such plain every-day humanity. If you really like a person you have worked with in the past and haven'r seen her for a while, "Oh, it is good to see you" with a hug just seems right - if she is not onboard with that, the message would have been delivered (and hopefully understood) before the "event".

Yes, there are lecherous  out there. But it is a shame for all people, men and women, to lose simple, human interaction acceptable to both over concerns created by the "looking for something to complain about" few.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 105

@BigLib wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

For all the men apparently too stupid to figure it out, here's a good guideline:

If what you plan to say to a female coworker would get you a punch in the face if her husband was standing there, stop, and do not say it. The. End.

This. Except it puts it back on men caring only what other men think, and not what women themselves think. But I get it. Baby steps...

Many men think women are “vindictive” because the men see nothing wrong with their fellow men’s behavior. (Or their own). So they think women overreact.

The men that would abuse female coworkers only understand a few things anyhow, and violence is one of them (they should know, since they engage in it). Pretty soon, they'll start to see the pattern of lawsuits, job losses, and a record of abusing women stapled to their resumes, because this whole #MeToo thing just ain't going away. And that makes me smile. Smiley Very Happy

Yup. The way I answered sexual harassment and sexual assault (if that’s what you call a 60 year old man sticking his tongue in my ear when I was 21, because that’s what I call it), was with violence.  Police officer lifting my skirt with a broom? Slammed him on the head with a heavy object. The same with correctional officers, attorneys, and judges. And so on.

And they did stop. But why is that necessary? 

The only time time I actually said something about it was when my direct supervisor asked me what could I do with my tongue. And that he wanted to take me home to find out.  I used my tongue to tell his boss. I am POSITIVE he thought I was overreacting.   I am sure several people here do as well.

I applaud the women who take the complaint all the way. Who fight that predatory behavior with everything they’ve got. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 105

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

For all the men apparently too stupid to figure it out, here's a good guideline:

If what you plan to say to a female coworker would get you a punch in the face if her husband was standing there, stop, and do not say it. The. End.

This. Except it puts it back on men caring only what other men think, and not what women themselves think. But I get it. Baby steps...

Many men think women are “vindictive” because the men see nothing wrong with their fellow men’s behavior. (Or their own). So they think women overreact.

The men that would abuse female coworkers only understand a few things anyhow, and violence is one of them (they should know, since they engage in it). Pretty soon, they'll start to see the pattern of lawsuits, job losses, and a record of abusing women stapled to their resumes, because this whole #MeToo thing just ain't going away. And that makes me smile. Smiley Very Happy

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 105

@BigLib wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 105

@rk9152 wrote:

I'm sure glad I'm not out there today. All my working life I had the pleasure if interacting with delightful women as equals and as non-equals. I enjoyed it very much.

How it works today is a mystery - you really cannot write down a set of rules to cover every possibility that still allows for a pleasant and productive environment.

Simple rule - treat everyone politely and fairly. The same rule that was in effect my whole working career.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 105

Oh the poor men. So fragile. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 105

@oceanedge2 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

I spent 20 years working for a fortune 100 company.  There are plenty of vindictive women out there.

My question is, did your perception of "vindictive women" cause you, at any time during those 20 years, to be more aware of what is and what is not appropriate workplace interaction with your female coworkers?

The company I retired from had manatory training every year on diversity.  I retired in 2008 and even then managers made sure never to be alone with anyone of the oppisite sex.  The office doors were always open. 

Yes, there were plenty of women that were of a vindictive nature and most of us knew who they were.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 105

@jimc91 wrote:

I spent 20 years working for a fortune 100 company.  There are plenty of vindictive women out there.

My question is, did your perception of "vindictive women" cause you, at any time during those 20 years, to be more aware of what is and what is not appropriate workplace interaction with your female coworkers?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors