Starting a small business? Already own one and have questions? Ask the experts in AARP's small business roundtable discussion.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 17 Explosions Across 3 Different Mass Towns

Message 11 of 19

Emergency responders and fire officials will continue their sweep through neighborhoods in Lawrence, Andover, and North Andover today after more than 60 fires and at least three gas explosions left one person dead and at least 25 more injured on Thursday.

Crews worked throughout the night to inspect and shut off 8,000 gas meters across the three communities.

In a press conference at about 1 a.m., Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera asked residents to be patient with authorities' progress and not return to their homes until they are explicitly told it is safe to do so.

He warned that they may not be returning to their homes "anytime soon." Governor Charlie Baker said at the same press conference that the utility company, Columbia Gas, "must immediately bring in additional resources and develop a comprehensive safety inspection plan."

The man who died in Thursday's explosions was Leonel Rondon, an 18-year-old from Lawrence. Rondon was sitting in a car on Chickering Road in Lawrence when a house exploded, and the house's chimney fell onto the car. Rondon was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities will also continue their investigation into the cause of the explosions today.

It remained unclear Thursday night what had caused the massive series of leaks and explosions, though it was likely the result of excess amounts of natural gas in the region's old pipes.

Some of those pipes were being upgraded this week.

Those who work in the natural gas industry said there could have been an over pressurization of the gas lines. Officials from Columbia Gas said they will work on the pipes to add safety features.

Gas Explosions B.png

Gas Explosions C.png

Gas Explosions D.png

Gas Explosions F.png

( " “I don’t want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny — Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry, and Smear.”) Margaret Chase Smith

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 19

17 Explosions Across 3 Different Mass Towns

I suspect a underground gas leak, the gas followed pipes back to the buildings, gas infiltrated and accumulated in  the buildings, and some spark ignited the gas, light switch, water heater, anything with a contact.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 19
@mickstuder

How strange to watch the TV one minute with so much rain and water to devastate the South, then the next few minutes so much fire to destroy so many houses in the North.

Just so sad to watch either channel, hoping for safety for all.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 19

We had a huge gas explosion here a few years ago. One apartment complex. And it took a massive effort on the part of the fire department.

So I can’t even imagine what trying to fight this looks like. Smiley Sad 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 19

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Geez, I hope people are ok. 

So far 10 injured - 2 critical - no one still has a plausible explanation - a house here and there in  dozens of neighborhoods across three towns - 17 Explosions - 70 + Structures Damaged by Fire 

Strange Occurence - None of the Experts - Gas Company - Fire Dept. - Never seen anything like it 

( " “I don’t want to see the Republican Party ride to political victory on the Four Horsemen of Calumny — Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry, and Smear.”) Margaret Chase Smith

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 19

Geez, I hope people are ok. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 19

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Multiple Explosions And Fires Reported Across 3 Mass. Towns, At Least 3 Injured

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/13/647621382/multiple-explosions-and-fires-reported-across-3-massachuset...

Firefighters battle a house fire, in North Andover, Mass., one of a series of gas explosions and fires triggered Thursday by a problem with a gas line that feeds several communities north of Boston.
Mary Schwalm/AP
Updated at 8:03 p.m. ET

Massachusetts State Police have confirmed officials are responding to 70 house fires, explosions or reports of gas odors — possibly caused by gas leaks — around the towns of Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, on Thursday evening, warning that the "number will grow."

Officials urged all residents in the area who are Columbia Gas customers to evacuate, "as should anyone else who smells gas."

View image on Twitter

Is this what you were posting about?

Yes - I grew up in this area.......checking on my people

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 19
Multiple Explosions And Fires Reported Across 3 Mass. Towns, At Least 3 Injured

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/13/647621382/multiple-explosions-and-fires-reported-across-3-massachuset...

Firefighters battle a house fire, in North Andover, Mass., one of a series of gas explosions and fires triggered Thursday by a problem with a gas line that feeds several communities north of Boston.
Mary Schwalm/AP
Updated at 8:03 p.m. ET

Massachusetts State Police have confirmed officials are responding to 70 house fires, explosions or reports of gas odors — possibly caused by gas leaks — around the towns of Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, on Thursday evening, warning that the "number will grow."

Officials urged all residents in the area who are Columbia Gas customers to evacuate, "as should anyone else who smells gas."

View image on Twitter

Is this what you were posting about?
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

17 Explosions Across 3 Different Mass Towns

Message 19 of 19

Gas Explosions A.png

Source - https://twitter.com/MassStatePolice?lang=en

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies