Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 15,000 Migrant Children Now Held

Message 1 of 25

@ManicProgressive wrote:

That’s a lie. The 9th circuit held children must be released within 20 days. It never mandated separation. 

O.K. the parents are detained, the children can't be detained - does that not require separation? Before calling someone a liar it would be wise to look beyond the superficial. 

It’s the way Trump is enforcing immigration that causes family separation. A zero tolerance policy plus refusal to release the whole family into the community pending the adult’s court proceeding is what’s causing separation.  Nothing else. 

Yes - he is pushing zero tolerance. Do you want to be "tolerant" of people entering the country illegally if they bring a child? That is what has created the problem.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

@rk9152 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Daily cost and why:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/migrant-kids-tent-cities-cost-more-than-detaining-families-report.ht...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/us/migrant-children-detention.html

‘Tent cities’ for migrant children reportedly cost much more than detaining families together

No doubt. Now, if only the 9th Circuit had not mandated their separation, just imagine all we could be saving.

That’s a lie. The 9th circuit held children must be released within 20 days. It never mandated separation. 

It’s the way Trump is enforcing immigration that causes family separation. A zero tolerance policy plus refusal to release the whole family into the community pending the adult’s court proceeding is what’s causing separation.  Nothing else. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Daily cost and why:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/migrant-kids-tent-cities-cost-more-than-detaining-families-report.ht...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/us/migrant-children-detention.html

‘Tent cities’ for migrant children reportedly cost much more than detaining families together

No doubt. Now, if only the 9th Circuit had not mandated their separation, just imagine all we could be saving.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25
$790.00 a "day" for each child being held

----------------------------------------------------------

Were did that number come from? Seems like a high number.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25
LydiaN586309 posted..

My question is what are we going to do with these children? Are we going to keep them incarcerated indefinitely?

===============================================================

They are being processed...with that many it takes time and our taxpayers $.
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

Quoting--

Olderscout66 said,

The number of children being held captive in for-profit prisons will only grow because Trump's administration has agreed to pay $790 per day for each child held.....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So when I questioned who was profiting by holding these children indefinitely in custody,  the above is exactly what I was getting at.   At $790.00 a "day" for each child being held,  there's a whole lot of money (profit) being made right there!  And that is what I meant when I said that whatever Trump does ultimately involves somebody or some company/corporation making a profit.  So if 15,000 children are being incarcerated, I just don't believe it to be due to altruistic or even humanitarian motives.  I believe we're looking at the ugly face of greed as so-called "non-profit" organizations profit.

Let me more fully explain my concerns.  For it is NOT just the issue of the cost of providing care and housing for these children.  Nor is it simply the issue of who is profiting from all of this human suffering masquerading as humanitarian aide.  The most important question is this:

"What is the United States ultimately going to do with these 15,000 plus children who may or may not have any family here in America and who may have no way to reconnect with family back home in their native countries?"   Are we going to simply keep them indefinitely in these concentration camps or other forms of incarceration?  Or will we eventually allow these children to gain some kind of permanent status or citizenship?   Or will we keep them here until they reach minimal adult-age status (17 or 18 years old) and then ship them back to any south of the border country that will take them?  

All of these questions come to mind as well as the inordinate cost to care for just one child!  It is astronomical!  And I can see where this large pay out could be seen as a motivation for abuse of the system by those "for profit"  profiteers hiding under the guise of a non-profit declaration. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Almost 15,000 Migrant Children Now Held At Nearly Full Shelters 

The number of immigrant children being held in government custody has reached almost 15,000, putting a network of federally contracted shelters across the country near capacity. 

The national network of more than 100 shelters are 92 percent full, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. The situation is forcing the government to consider a range of options, possibly including releasing children more quickly to sponsors in the United States or expanding the already crowded shelter network.

My question is what are we going to do with these children?  Are we going to keep them incarcerated indefinitely?  Are we going to "raise" another permanent underclass who will serve as America's nuevo in-house migrant worker?  Afterall, once the borders are closed, "somebody's" gotta pick those apples and grapes, mow our lawns and do our yardwork, and work on construction sites for very low wages often paid "under the table" by unscrupulous employers!  (Please recognize snarky sarcasm here).  But the questions remain:   How many more children will be detained and housed in these "camps?" (I won't call them concentration camps just yet, even though that's what it seems they are).  Further, if there is no plan to return them to their families or their countries of origin, what is the longer term plan?  How much is this grand Trumpian plan going to cost the American taxpayer?  And who is profitting from all of this?  Because as with everything Trump,  "profit"  is always the bottomline!

I don't see any profit involved in those kids. As to the parents, I hope they are locked up for child abuse for putting their children in such dangerous conditions. 

So ......... a parent immigrating to the united States to enable him/her to better the lives of their children is "child abuse".   trump supporters seem to be so confused.

So ..... they opted for actions that resulted in the results describe - that sounds like child abuse.

Trump cult members seem more confused than I first thought.

Any details on that or are you just in a mood to insult fellow posters?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

How much is this grand Trumpian plan going to cost the American taxpayer?

It cost as much per day to keep each  child in custody as a room a Mar a lago

About $ 400

Is the issue holding the children in protective custody or the cost?

How many die before it is no longer considered "protective"?

I guess that depends on how many parents place their children in a situation that it is to late to save them by the time we get involved. And there is the factor of how successful the caravan organizers are at overwhelming our ability to provide needed services.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

@gruffstuff wrote:

Is the issue holding the children in protective custody or the cost?

The issue is inhumane treatment of people coming to the USA to seek asylum.

True - I asked that based on a poster's obsession with someone making money off this.

As to human treatment - I agree but remember the separation is the result of a court order. If the system is overwhelmed that is the result of an intentional maneuver to "jump the line" on the part of the caravan members - using their children as pawns.

Kudos
Views