Learn how to use Uber, Lyft and other ride-sharing services!  Register now for a free AARP webinar Nov. 18.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 12 Rules for Mixing Religion and Politics

Message 1 of 11

@williamb39198 wrote:

Can we also include the refrain of 

“Christian persecution”. What? Or is this for the sympathy, poor me vote to gain more influence in politics?...or more money!

keep government and religion separate 

@williamb39198 - I agree with you. I'm getting a little tired of hearing the whiny conservative catholics at church tell me how "persecuted" we are. Maybe they should look at what happened to the Christians in Syria, look at the bombed out churches, or treatment of the Coptic Catholics in Egypt, and the list could go on . . . and they think that they are persecuted. These are people who have really suffered and many have died.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@JANMB wrote:

Our taxes are not  designated  for use for    religious purposes.    One can pray--at home, in their car .the church of their choice   etc ... and read the Bible.    There is no just reason for bringing any kind of religious material into school.    I have to wonder if the desire is just  to show how pious a person is.    We don't need a holy-war in this country,  things are bad enough.    

I completely agree with you.  And further, I don't believe we need anyone giving rules for conducting our religious life...we have them in the Bible.  I note that the originator of this topic started another and one would have to question the purpose of starting them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

Our taxes are not  designated  for use for    religious purposes.    One can pray--at home, in their car .the church of their choice   etc ... and read the Bible.    There is no just reason for bringing any kind of religious material into school.    I have to wonder if the desire is just  to show how pious a person is.    We don't need a holy-war in this country,  things are bad enough.    

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@MaVolta 

Very well put. Especially on the commonality of different religions, and the inclusion of people knowing right from wrong. 

@Olderscout66 

Can we also include the refrain of 

“Christian persecution”. What? Or is this for the sympathy, poor me vote to gain more influence in politics?...or more money!

keep government and religion separate 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

Great article. Thanks for sharing a thoughtful post.

One particular thing stood out to me that is so applicable today: The 1990 SC ruling against church exemption from the law, as exemption would put church above the law and anyone could claim a religious exemption, even a religion of one. The opinion was written by Antonin Scalia. 

It is my opinion that religious leaders and clergy should spend more time teaching and leading than trying to steer political currents. I have been protestant, agnostic, and now catholic. The church has become much more political these days, and with the ever unfolding scandals, I almost have one foot out the door now. I would say at best that I'm a 'cafeteria catholic'.

My father was a spiritualist who believed in God, but did not believe that God was found in organized religion. His philosophy was that God is found where you seek him and he meets you there.  Besides, who gets to decide whose "religion" is the correct one? 

The more that I study the teachings of Jesus, I believe that he might have been on to something. I have not studied that much about religion, but have read some articles on various religions of the world. The amazing part is that they have much more in common than in difference. They all shared the same tenet of treating others as you would have others treat you. Even most atheists and agnostics have some moral compass in life; they know right from wrong. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

.@Olderscout66 wrote:

The problem these days is the Fundamentalists are NOT arguing "religion", they're demanding UNequal Rights - the Right for them to ignore the Constitution and compel others to suffer the consequences of their benighted misreading of scripture. Everything from "homeschooling" to refusing to include women's health services for the employees of Corporations falls under this rubrick.

Well said.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

The problem these days is the Fundamentalists are NOT arguing "religion", they're demanding UNequal Rights - the Right for them to ignore the Constitution and compel others to suffer the consequences of their benighted misreading of scripture. Everything from "homeschooling" to refusing to include women's health services for the employees of Corporations falls under this rubrick.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@Centristsin2010  Thank you for finding and sharing.  Very timely....  coincidence??? 

These key phrases are wonderful:

"humiliation and jealousy"

"compassion to competition"

"tolerance for compromise"

Thanks again!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

What an excellent read, thank you! 

This quote is particularly timely for me. I have a coworker who just transferred her kids from a Christian school to a public school, and she was worried her children wouldn’t be able to talk about their religion in school.  And yet, my coworker is an attorney and should know better.  What has she been exposed to in her church and in the Christian school to make her think that way, in direct conflict with what we all learned, in detail, in law school?

“Teachers who mistakenly believe that church-state separation requires them to forbid students from reading the Bible during study hall may wrongly infringe on a student’s religious freedom.”

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

@Centristsin2010 

It would appear that the same issues for religion and government remain the same year after year, sometimes the packaging may be a little different. Seems that there has always been a fine line to walk concerning their interaction. Both are major parts of our lives, and how can both work together without one directly supporting the other? Can both exist without overtly influencing each other? We must keep them separate, and for each area, this may be possible if we are not concerned about controlling others via laws or beliefs. But isn’t that always a concern...people wanting power and control! True yesterday, and still true today. We must be vigilant in keeping a reign on power and control. If we can, we improve our chances of living in a world where religion, government, and people can coexist and get along with caring and respect. 

Good article that promotes a lot of thought

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors