Honored Social Butterfly

100 national security professionals : Trump “has created an existential danger to the United States.

More than 100 national security professionals break with tradition and endorse Biden

We are definitely living in interesting times.  Trump's antics have reached the point where intelligence professionals are breaking with tradition (Ironically, Trump's favorite excuse) and warning the nation about Trump as an "existential danger to the United States".  This is not because they are trying to be mean to the precious snowflake president. It is because they believe he will destroy our nation. 

Link to the open letter 

More than 100 career national security professionals have signed an open letter of support for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, saying that President Trump “has created an existential danger to the United States.”

Most of the signatories, who include career diplomats, intelligence officers and defense policymakers, have served both Republican and Democratic administrations. They noted that their policy views cover a spectrum and as officials they “have often been in opposition, sometimes bitterly, with each other.”

But in a letter published online Wednesday, they expressed a shared belief that Trump’s approach to leadership has undermined the country’s role in the world. “His reelection would continue this downward spiral and will likely have catastrophic results,” say the signatories, most of whom have never publicly endorsed a candidate for president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/more-than-80-national-security-professionals-break-... 

Honored Social Butterfly

A few of the over 100 people who have signed on to this letter.  Very impressive. 

Dr. Gordon Adams  

Professor Emeritus, School of International Service, American University

Political Appointee

Administrations: Obama, Clinton

Mr. Javed Ali  

Former Senior Director for Counterterrorism 

Senior Executive Service, Senior National Intelligence Service

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II 

Mr. Robert Andrews

Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations and Low Intensity Conflict

Senior Executive Service, Senior Intelligence Service, Commissioned Officer (Non-Flag Rank), Senior Congressional Staff, Political Appointee

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy

Mr. Brigham Blase Bechtel  

Former Intelligence Officer 

Commissioned Officer (Non-Flag Rank), General Services (GS Scale)

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan 

Mr. Rand Beers  

Former Deputy Homeland Security Advisor 

Senior Executive Service, Foreign Service (FS Scale), Political Appointee

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson 

Jeffrey P. Bialos

Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Industrial Affairs, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Import Administration, and Special Advisor to the Under Secretary of State for Economic, Business and Agricultural Affairs

Senior Executive Service, Political Appointee 

Administrations: Clinton  

Prof. Jason Blazakis 

Professor 

General Services (GS Scale)

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton

Prof. Philip C. Bobbitt 

Professor of Law, Columbia University  

Senior Executive Service

Administrations: Obama, Clinton, Bush I, Carter, Johnson 

Mrs. Diana Bolsinger

Counterterrorism Analyst/Manager

General Services (GS Scale), Foreign Service (FS Scale)

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan

Mr. Zachery Tyson Brown   

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II

Hon. Steven A Browning 

Ambassador 

Foreign Service Officer (Ambassadorial Rank) 

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter

Mr. David Michael Buss  

FSO, Retired 

Foreign Service Officer (Ambassadorial Rank)

Administrations: Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon 

Mr. Bruce Robert Butterworth  

Independent Transportation Security Consultant 

Senior Executive Service

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford 

Dr. Daniel Byman  

Georgetown University 

General Services (GS Scale), Senior Congressional Staff

Administrations: Clinton, Bush I 

Mr. Marc R. Cardwell  

Administrations: Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter 

Mr. Evan Carlson  

Retired 

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan 

Mr. Ned Foley Carmody 

Operations Officer  

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan 

Mr. Kevin Thomas Carroll  

Senior Counselor to the Secretary of Homeland Security 

Senior Executive Service, Commissioned Officer (Non-Flag Rank), General Services (GS Scale), Senior Congressional Staff, Political Appointee

Administrations: Trump, Obama, Bush II, Clinton 

Ms. Christy Carter

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton        

Mr. Edmund Carter 

Administrations: Obama, Bush II, Clinton, Bush I, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, Johnson 

Mr. Steven Abram Cash  

CIA Intelligence Officer; Chief Counsel to U.S. Senator 

General Services (GS Scale), Senior Congressional Staff

Administrations: Bush II, Clinton

Honored Social Butterfly

Gang Denial of anything that dares to shattered their ideology will never know who is on the list, as they refuse to read anything that may upset their reality.     For the record, the number of signees is now increased to 148.     

Interesting list, as some of the signees go back to the Reagan Admin and all the way through Trump.   

Note to ignoble donald supporters - stay stupid is now your motto.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Half of the country does not trust or believe the president.  He needs to step aside at the press conferences and let the experts answer questions.  These are extraordinary times and most Americans want straightforward answers, not wishy-washy conflicting messages or see the president go on the defensive and resort to childish name-calling when asked a question he doesn't like.

I want a president who will take decisive, definitive action NOW, not tell me to wait and see what happens or that it is the states' responsibilities and that the federal government is only there for back-up.  States are begging for help.  Back them up!  We are past "waiting to see what happens".  

The United States is third in the world with infections.  They surged past Spain who is under a national self-quarantine.  Great, travel to China was closed.  Too little, too late.  Third in the world!  And we're still going to "wait and see"?

Time for the politicians to step away from the mic and let the experts tell Americans what to do.  The politicians need to go agree on a relief package.  Action, not talk.  This is the time for Americans to be united in a common cause, not further divided by a mercurial, indecisive president who balks at taking control and does nothing to encourage or assuage the Americans who do not trust him.  George W. Bush, another unpopular president, got the highest approval of any president ever in the wake of 9/11 because he brought Americans together in a united cause.  Why is that so hard for IMPOTUS?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

More than 100 national security professionals break with tradition and endorse Biden

We are definitely living in interesting times.  Trump's antics have reached the point where intelligence professionals are breaking with tradition (Ironically, Trump's favorite excuse) and warning the nation about Trump as an "existential danger to the United States".  This is not because they are trying to be mean to the precious snowflake president. It is because they believe he will destroy our nation. 

Link to the open letter 

More than 100 career national security professionals have signed an open letter of support for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, saying that President Trump “has created an existential danger to the United States.”

Most of the signatories, who include career diplomats, intelligence officers and defense policymakers, have served both Republican and Democratic administrations. They noted that their policy views cover a spectrum and as officials they “have often been in opposition, sometimes bitterly, with each other.”

But in a letter published online Wednesday, they expressed a shared belief that Trump’s approach to leadership has undermined the country’s role in the world. “His reelection would continue this downward spiral and will likely have catastrophic results,” say the signatories, most of whom have never publicly endorsed a candidate for president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/more-than-80-national-security-professionals-break-... 

What's happening here is that lies and cons have no effect on a virus. The infection numbers and death toll will be accurately reported by the CDC and state and local governments.

Even if Trump revives the market with trillions borrowed from our kids and grandkids, he can't run from those numbers. If they get high enough they will take him down. And if they do it will be his own fault.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What else do you expect from the Washington Compost?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Then, it is your position that the Washington Post faked this letter signed by over 100 security professionals?  Agents, analysts, ambassadors, etc?  Should be pretty easy for you to prove. One is a friend and she told ME about signing the letter. 

What I expect of the regressives is to make a rational argument. I seldom get that though. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Then, it is your position that the Washington Post faked this letter signed by over 100 security professionals?  Agents, analysts, ambassadors, etc?  Should be pretty easy for you to prove. One is a friend and she told ME about signing the letter. 

What I expect of the regressives is to make a rational argument. I seldom get that though. 

I'm not doubting the ability for the Washington Compost to get a bunch of "security" liberals to sign a paper and the ones that didn't sign?  You can always dredge up enough liberals to sign anything in hopes of derailing Trump!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I'm not doubting the ability for the Washington Compost to get a bunch of "security" liberals to sign a paper and the ones that didn't sign?  You can always dredge up enough liberals to sign anything in hopes of derailing Trump!

I would love to see your source that this was a letter started by the Washington Post. (Can't you come up with a more witty nickname for them? Seriously?).  The bigger question is why you are not concerned about the fate of our nation when OVER ONE HUNDRED security professionals tell you that Donald Trump is a danger to the nation.  

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png