Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
378
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

378 Views
Message 31 of 77

@TxGrandpa2 

So what is your point? I was never taught anything in civics class as to what your post is and what my post was in relation to local elections and voter registration. Is this just another attempt to sow confusion similar to the religious angle that you interjected in the post with Alfred?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
378
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
383
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

383 Views
Message 32 of 77

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 

Tell me HOW a New Mexico voter registered as an Independent can vote in the New Mexico Primary elections?


I already did. There are things on the ballot other than who will run in a party for office. Now tell me why GA will not end its voter suppression of people of color, and why the voters of GA keep electing  them  to office.


A registered Independent voter in New Mexico CANNOT VOTE in the Primary Election in New Mexico - New Mexico keep other things off the Primary ballot for just that reason - other stuff has to wait for the GE.

 

FROM the Secretary of the States office of New Mexico -

Maggie Toulouse Oliver - New Mexico Secretary of State

 

Voter Registration

 

Am I required to select a political party in order to complete the registration form?

  • No. You can choose to select a political party affiliation if you wish, or you can decide to not be affiliated with any political party. The choice is yours to make and does not impact the validity of your registration form.
  • Any applicant may choose to check the “No Party” box on the application; however, New Mexico has a closed primary, so only those registered in a major political party may participate in the primary election. The major political parties in New Mexico are:
    • Democratic Party
    • Republican Party
  • Voters who are affiliated with all other political parties or voters who have no political party affiliation may not vote in primary elections in New Mexico. However, all voters regardless of political affiliation are invited to participate in all other elections.

 

SOS Office New Mexico - NM Political Party Information

Major Parties (Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico)

  • Democratic Party of New Mexico
  • Republican Party of New Mexico
  • Libertarian Party of New Mexico

In New Mexico, only major political party candidates will appear on the Primary Election ballot. The three major political parties are the New Mexico Democratic Party, the New Mexico Republican Party and the Libertarian Party of New Mexico.

Minor Parties (Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico)

  • Green Party of New Mexico
  • Better for America Party of New Mexico
  • Constitution Party of New Mexico

Qualified minor party candidates may appear on the General Election ballot and are nominated for office pursuant to the party rules on file with the Secretary of State and pursuant to NMSA 1978 §§ 1-8-2 and 1-8-3

 

The way I am reading this, New Mexico voters registered as Independents cannot even vote for a Libertarian candidate in the Primary election. 

 

Talk about voter suppression -

 

AP - Records: Most new voters in New Mexico are independents October 2, 2018

 

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — State records show the biggest increase in New Mexico voter registration is among residents who declined to state a party affiliation.

 

The Albuquerque Journal reports nearly 54 percent of those who registered to vote from March 2017 through August of this year registered without stating a party affiliation or did so with a different political party besides Democrats or Republicans.

 

Overall, about 22 percent of the state’s registered voters are now classified as declined-to-state voters, commonly referred to as independents.

 

That’s 23,380 of the 43,434 newly registered voters. The figure is more than the number of newly registered Democrats and Republicans combined.

 

Really folks does nobody else see a problem with this ?

This Majority of registered voters in New Mexico have NO choice of who will be on the General Election - the party affilliated registered voters are ramrodding the candidates through to the General Election.

 


Here we see another attempt by the far right to create a problem to cover the fact GA stops people from voting in all elections. Now to be real problem. Get Dictator Trump out of office.

Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
383
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
383
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

383 Views
Message 33 of 77

@williamb39198 wrote:

 

The repubs many years ago separated the primaries because they were chicken***** and afraid of crossover votes...answer, don’t vote for repubs!

 


This goes along with what years ago was taught in Grade School civics classes:

 

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/kennedys-nomination-was-a-big-moment-for-the-primary-system/

 

The Founding Fathers envisioned a much-different process of selecting a chief executive. In the original system, a convention of state delegates chose electors to represent their interests in the electoral college. The top two vote getters in the electoral college became President and Vice President. (The Constitution didn’t establish procedures beyond that for the nomination of presidential candidates.)

The system worked for two elections when George Washington was a unanimous choice for President; it quickly fell apart when political parties formed after Washington wasn’t President.

In 1804, the 12th Amendment required separate votes for presidential and vice presidential candidates, after the disastrous 1800 election and House runoff election between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr. Congressional caucuses were then used to pick presidential and vice presidential candidates.

But within three decades, national nomination conventions replaced congressional caucuses as the method for choosing party nominees for President. Another House runoff in 1824 between John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson led to a renewed desire for state party leaders to have a bigger say in the process.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
383
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
386
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

386 Views
Message 34 of 77

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

if it's real - and scientifically validated and provable - post your science-based links.


Religious faith is not based on science, but  faith is defined in the Bible as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  Columbus sailed west from Europe based on faith that he would reach Asia and not fall off the edge of the earth as was the belief at that time.

 

You are welcome to believe what you want, so why don't we let this discussion return to the original topic?


Good idea - so why did you post the link to those bogus religious whackjobs in the first place?   

 

It wasn't really on topic - was it?

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
386
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
368
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

368 Views
Message 35 of 77

@alferdpacker wrote:

if it's real - and scientifically validated and provable - post your science-based links.


Religious faith is not based on science, but  faith is defined in the Bible as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  Columbus sailed west from Europe based on faith that he would reach Asia and not fall off the edge of the earth as was the belief at that time.

 

You are welcome to believe what you want, so why don't we let this discussion return to the original topic?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
368
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
359
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

359 Views
Message 36 of 77

The repubs many years ago separated the primaries because they were chicken***** and afraid of crossover votes...answer, don’t vote for repubs!

Occasionally repubs try to sway the election system, but get found out and called off...in spite of this being a red state. 

Otherwise, we don’t try to suppress any votes, and do not need even a photo ID, just a voter registration card...or an ID such as a state ID or a current drivers license will work also. And we try to encourage all residents to vote...what a concept!

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
359
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
334
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

334 Views
Message 37 of 77

@GailL1 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

 

Not smarter than the average bear - but absolutely dead certain that their ignorance is wisdom...

 

 


Sounds like many that I know and communicate with on a regular basis from many different states and they aren't Trump supporters at all.

 

Seems people just hear things and take it as fact and then just keep going and going with it like the energizer bunny when in fact they have no idea what they are talking about. 

 

They don't do any research - they don't do any reading - this is especially true in this day and age of Texting and Tweeting.  KISS has taken on a totally new meaning.


I agree that people hear things, take it as fact, and run with it.  Research?  Reading?  What's that?  I read it on Facebook, so it must be true.  It's what urban legends and troll factories are born of.

 

During the 2016 elections, I asked some Trump supporters why?  Why Trump?  Mostly what I heard was the rote internet responses -- he's not politically correct, he's not a politician, he will shake government up, ad nauseum.  But when asked to expound on that, the majority couldn't do it.  Indeed, they would get downright defensive.  Now in all fairness, I did have discussions with some Trump supporters who gave more in-depth reasons and what I would call viable talking points.   Most of them jumped off the train in the first 100 days. 

 

Even though there were non-Trumpers who also were ambivalent and vague with their reasons for not supporting him, I found it far more prevalent among the Trumpers. 

 

We have a president that supports news by tweet, is addicted to TV cable news talking head shows.  He doesn't read and his research consists of colorful graphs and pretty pictures presented to him at his daily briefings.  He considers his gut instinct more reliable.  Obviously, he knows what side of his bread the butter is on.  His base besties just lap this crap up, because he shows them it is OK not to be informed and believe what you hear on social media.



    

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
334
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
323
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

323 Views
Message 38 of 77

@williamb39198 wrote:

With education, will we not have a more knowledgeable electorate? Why the resistance by repubs for education...oh right, they don’t want an educated electorate...might expose their terrible policies and lies. 

Voting:

Who’s promoting voter registration, voter turnout, voter education, promoting voters rights, and making voting for all voters easier, not harder.  


I hope you are reading all of this information I am posting about how registered independents in New Mexico are treated with their vote in their Primary Election - THEY CAN'T VOTE and they are becoming the largest political choice of classification with new voter registrations.

There are MORE people registered in New Mexico as Independents than Republican or Democrats - but yet they cannot vote in the Primary Election.  They can't even vote for a Libertarian candidate, considered a major party in New Mexico. 

Independents cannot vote at all in New Mexico in the Primary election because New Mexico has a closed Primary election.

Those registered as a major party participant - Republican, Democrat or Libertarian get to vote in the Primary election under their party and then they just ramrod their choice through to the General Election, where Independents can finally cast a vote.

 

Talk about voter suppression !

How is your state set up?

 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
323
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
322
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

322 Views
Message 39 of 77

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 

Tell me HOW a New Mexico voter registered as an Independent can vote in the New Mexico Primary elections?


I already did. There are things on the ballot other than who will run in a party for office. Now tell me why GA will not end its voter suppression of people of color, and why the voters of GA keep electing  them  to office.


A registered Independent voter in New Mexico CANNOT VOTE in the Primary Election in New Mexico - New Mexico keep other things off the Primary ballot for just that reason - other stuff has to wait for the GE.

 

FROM the Secretary of the States office of New Mexico -

Maggie Toulouse Oliver - New Mexico Secretary of State

 

Voter Registration

 

Am I required to select a political party in order to complete the registration form?

  • No. You can choose to select a political party affiliation if you wish, or you can decide to not be affiliated with any political party. The choice is yours to make and does not impact the validity of your registration form.
  • Any applicant may choose to check the “No Party” box on the application; however, New Mexico has a closed primary, so only those registered in a major political party may participate in the primary election. The major political parties in New Mexico are:
    • Democratic Party
    • Republican Party
  • Voters who are affiliated with all other political parties or voters who have no political party affiliation may not vote in primary elections in New Mexico. However, all voters regardless of political affiliation are invited to participate in all other elections.

 

SOS Office New Mexico - NM Political Party Information

Major Parties (Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico)

  • Democratic Party of New Mexico
  • Republican Party of New Mexico
  • Libertarian Party of New Mexico

In New Mexico, only major political party candidates will appear on the Primary Election ballot. The three major political parties are the New Mexico Democratic Party, the New Mexico Republican Party and the Libertarian Party of New Mexico.

Minor Parties (Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico)

  • Green Party of New Mexico
  • Better for America Party of New Mexico
  • Constitution Party of New Mexico

Qualified minor party candidates may appear on the General Election ballot and are nominated for office pursuant to the party rules on file with the Secretary of State and pursuant to NMSA 1978 §§ 1-8-2 and 1-8-3

 

The way I am reading this, New Mexico voters registered as Independents cannot even vote for a Libertarian candidate in the Primary election. 

 

Talk about voter suppression -

 

AP - Records: Most new voters in New Mexico are independents October 2, 2018

 

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — State records show the biggest increase in New Mexico voter registration is among residents who declined to state a party affiliation.

 

The Albuquerque Journal reports nearly 54 percent of those who registered to vote from March 2017 through August of this year registered without stating a party affiliation or did so with a different political party besides Democrats or Republicans.

 

Overall, about 22 percent of the state’s registered voters are now classified as declined-to-state voters, commonly referred to as independents.

 

That’s 23,380 of the 43,434 newly registered voters. The figure is more than the number of newly registered Democrats and Republicans combined.

 

Really folks does nobody else see a problem with this ?

This Majority of registered voters in New Mexico have NO choice of who will be on the General Election - the party affilliated registered voters are ramrodding the candidates through to the General Election.

 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
322
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
305
Views

Re: 10 States with Lowest Level of Education and Trump

305 Views
Message 40 of 77

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

 


Yes - it's one of the dozens of crackpot sites/groups that Right Wing Watch has on it's list of nutcase sights.

 


Ok, so much for the personal opinions and comments.  Now can you offer any proof that what you have posted is valid to substantiate your comments?  You might notice that the article and site is from a Black Phd minister with 40 years experience.

 

I didn't notice any religious comments or bigotry in the article. The rest of your post had  no bearing on the topic.

 

If you can, could you post links for it?


Only AFTER you have posted scientifically verifiable links that supply proof that the Phd Minister's article is entirely objective and not based upon subjective religious (superstitious) assumptions and claims.

 

if it's real - and scientifically validated and provable - post your science-based links.

 

You want me to post links?   Not necessary - religion is superstious make-believe and inherently invalid.

 

Of course you have a right to your beliefs - but if it's not science-based why should I pay good money for make-believe?

 

 

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
305
Views