Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 1 Person Decides Fate of Mueller Report - AG

Message 1 of 7

The special counsel is required to report his findings confidentially to the Justice Department. Barr said he then expected to produce his own report to Congress and said it was his goal to release as much information as possible to the public, though he stopped short of a direct pledge.

He also noted the Justice Department does not typically disclose information about people it decides not to prosecute.

Source - https://dailyjournalonline.com/ag-nominee-william-barr-tells-senators-i-will-not-be/article_2629bde5...

Barr said if confirmed he would not fire Mueller without good cause, and would share as much of Mueller’s final report with Congress and the public as possible within the regulations for the special counsel investigation.

Source - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/where-william-barr-stands-on-the-issues-then-and-now

Donald Trump’s nominee for attorney general has said the special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on Russian election interference may not be made public.

On the first day of his US Senate confirmation hearing, William Barr indicated that his own summary of Mueller’s findings would be released.

“Under the current regulations, the special counsel report is confidential, and the report that goes public would be a report by the attorney general,” Barr told the Senate judiciary committee.

Pressed by the Democrat Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Barr said: “I don’t know, at the end of the day, what will be releasable. I don’t know what Bob Mueller is writing.”

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/15/william-barr-confirmation-hearing-robert-mueller-rep...

The fate of Mr. Mueller’s findings — an expected report — was a recurring topic. Mr. Barr said that Mr. Mueller’s report to the attorney general would be “confidential,” but that the attorney general would then produce his own report to Congress based on that material. He said that he intended to be as transparent as possible given grand jury secrecy rules

Source - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/mueller-barr.html

Near the end of the hearing, Barr drove home what might be the biggest revelation of the day: Mueller’s report might not be made public.

The statement came in response to questions from Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.), who said he was still confused about Barr’s earlier testimony on the fate of the Mueller report. He hypothesized that Mueller had written a report and given it to Barr.

Under Justice Department rules, Kennedy asked, “What happens next?”

Barr responded: “Under the current rules, that report is supposed to be confidential and treated as the prosecution and declination documents in any other criminal case, and

then the attorney general, as I understand the rules, would report to Congress about the conclusion of the investigation. And I believe there may be discretion there about what the attorney general can put in that report.”

“So you would make a report to Congress?” Kennedy asked.

“Yes,” Barr responded.

“Based on the report that you’ve received?” Kennedy asked.

“Yes,” Barr said.

The upshot is one that will probably worry Democrats: Barr had essentially suggested that Mueller’s findings would be filtered through the attorney general, who would decide what Congress and the public would learn.

Barr had previously promised that his goal would be transparency, though he seemed to be managing expectations about a full airing of Mueller’s findings.

Source - https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/barr-confirmation-hearing-trumps-attorney-gen...

Special Counsel – Code of Federal Regulations

Source - https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/part-600

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

@rker321 wrote:

Unless  you were not able to see yesterday's  confirmation hearing it was extremely clear that the new AG  will  see to it that it is his report that the public get's to see.

so, now that he has made that point quite clear, my question is. what's next?  will Congress do anything to get hold of that unredacted report?

Will Americans ever see the original report?

Those are the questions that need to be asked. 

Well, I suppose it's possible I watched the Wrong Hearings @rker321

Sooooooo..................thats why I went to great lengths to Research the Justice Departments Code of Federal Regulatons pertaining to Special Counsels

You may have missed the Work I Did on Researching The Specific Code & then taking the time to Publish it in this thread just a few posts above this one

The Reason I did that - is because I heard what Barr was saying and it seemed AMBIGUOUS at Best & Misleading at it's worst

This AM after reading your post I went back and double-checked my research & did some more and found that - NO LESS THAN 5 MAJOR NEWSPAPERS & MSM Companies CONCURRED WITH MY - Conclusions

I will include them in a seperate Reply/Post below this one (including actual Quotes & the Sources)  so as not to confuse

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Unless  you were not able to see yesterday's  confirmation hearing it was extremely clear that the new AG  will  see to it that it is his report that the public get's to see.

so, now that he has made that point quite clear, my question is. what's next?  will Congress do anything to get hold of that unredacted report?

Will Americans ever see the original report?

Those are the questions that need to be asked. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

Neal Katyal - A Democrat Working in the Justice Department along with a Bi-partisan Group in Congress developed the Special Counsel Rules - 28 CFR 600 - Code of Federal Regulations......Clinton was President Congress Majority Control by Republicans 

REPORTING

600.9 Notification and reports by the Attorney General.

(a) The Attorney General will notify the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Judiciary Committees of each House of Congress, with an explanation for each action -

(1) Upon appointing a Special Counsel;

(2) Upon removing any Special Counsel; and

(3) Upon conclusion of the Special Counsels investigation, including, to the extent consistent with applicable law, a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the Attorney General concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.

(b) The notification requirement in paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be tolled by the Attorney General upon a finding that legitimate investigative or privacy concerns require confidentiality. At such time as confidentiality is no longer needed, the notification will be provided.

(c) The Attorney General may determine that public release of these reports would be in the public interest, to the extent that release would comply with applicable legal restrictions.

All other releases of information by any Department of Justice employee, including the Special Counsel and staff, concerning matters handled by Special Counsels shall be governed by the generally applicable Departmental guidelines concerning public comment with respect to any criminal investigation, and relevant law.

DUMB - STUPID - IDIOTIC ...................To Put All That Authority into the Hands of a Single Person

This Mueller Report Could Be One Of The Most Critical Investigations in the History of the Country

AND

It all hinges on the Personal Whims of a Single Poltical Appointee - not even elected

How Incompetent Our Elected Officials Really Are & How Irresponsible We Are As a Electorate to allow these Do Nothings to Remain in Office and produce this kind of Garbage

Source

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/part-600

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2018/11/12/rules-are-clear-whitaker-cant-supervise-muellers-i...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/28/part-600

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@n566192l wrote:

Mickstuder,

Troubling news to say the least.

Im thinking the Democrats were so psyched that they were going to get a Official Investigation they didn't even question the Ground Rules

Incumbents need to go - all of them

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Mickstuder,

Troubling news to say the least.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

1 Person Decides Fate of Mueller Report - AG

Message 7 of 7

I learned one very disappointing thing today listening to the Barr 4 Attorney General Confirmation Hearings

The US Attorney General has the Sole Discretion over who gets to see the Mueller Report

To me that's one of the most extraordinary things I've ever heard

The Millions of US Tax Payers Money - all the Time - Hype & Controversy and when the Congress wrote the Special Council Rules

They gave one Single Person in the Entire Country the Power to determine whether or not the Congress or the American People even get to see any of the Report - never mind if anyone gets punished

How is that possible?

Why haven't the Democrats been screaming about this - all I keep hearing them saying is well we need to make sure the Special Council gets to complete his work - it's so extremely important

WHY - if a Trump Sycophant is the only person who might ever see the results & can simply rip the whole thing up & destroy it he wants

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements