AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: coping with death of my neighbor,Gerry

Message 1 of 12

PattyDiane,thankyou for your post,I appreciate what you said.

I have another update,was talking this morning with Gerry's son,Kevin.He told  me his dad's apt has been sold. When I went on my mid morning walk,ran into Art{we found Gerry together},who knew him for over 40yrs and is our board chairman. He told me a man named Peter has bought the apt but still needs to go thru procedure of meeting with other board members to get the approval. I will keep you all posted on the progress. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12

Sue, I want to thank you for telling us about your friend Gerry.  

I've never found the body of a friend like you did and can't imagine how I would handle that.  I did recently lose a good friend very unexpectedly.  She had been my best friend for over 20 years and we had been through a lot together over the years.  She had moved away but we still talked on the phone at least once a week when her son called to tell me that she had a brain bleed and it didn't look good.  He called again the next morning to tell me it was over.

Linda was the only person, other than my first mother-in-law, who ever called me "Pattipoo" and my MIL called me "My Pattipoo".  One day last week I must have had an "awake dream" because I could hear so clearly Linda's voice saying "Hi there Pattipoo".  She sounded so happy and it somehow made me feel so much better.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 12

LaDolceVita wrote:

Sue, this is a sad and touching story, all the more so because your words just sort of tumbled out.  You are usually so calm  and self possessed and always have comforting words for those grieving.  

Sounds like Gerry was more than neighbor and friend, almost like family, as you & Pat & he lived in such close proximity.  I can imagine the pain you feel when you walk by Gerry's apartment.  

Thanks LDV for your post,yes Gerry was family to me like a favorite uncle. Its been 3 months,still miss him every day. An update for all who had written lovely posts,Gerry's apt is up for sale,though I haven't seen anybody come look at it. Whenever the apt is sold and we meet our new neighbor,then I can let go. Sue

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12

Sue, this is a sad and touching story, all the more so because your words just sort of tumbled out.  You are usually so calm  and self possessed and always have comforting words for those grieving.  

Sounds like Gerry was more than neighbor and friend, almost like family, as you & Pat & he lived in such close proximity.  I can imagine the pain you feel when you walk by Gerry's apartment.  

Ad terminum vitae meae nōn venī.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 12

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have expressed their thoughts,prayers about the loss of my next door neighbor,Gerry. It means alot to me more than words can say. Sue

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12

I am not sure I have any answers on this topic other than find someone  to talk with about your feelings. I would suggest someone that deals with peoples passing and works with those that have lost someone. I would start with a minister, priest or other religious leader that you know.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 12

Glad to see you back after such a tragedy in your life, hope it will get easier for you. So sorry for your loss.        Marian

Message 8 of 12

Oh, Sue, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Nancy

Message 9 of 12

Sue, I am so very sorry.in the loss of your friend Gerry. My heart goes out to you. The passing of time  now, as you know,  is the only thing that is going to help. . Time and prayer and that I will certainly keep you in. I'm so glad to see that you were able to post again. I think it helps to be able to express the way we feel about things and what better way then here.   I feel I have friends here, e-mail friends. People that I have not personally met but people that have become my friends.

Keeping you in prayer.

Margaret 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 12

Sue, I want to begin by welcoming you back here and I'm glad that you felt able to share such personal thoughts and memories with your friends here on AARP.  

You have written a fitting memorial to your friend Gerry.  I have a mental picture of you both, helping each other with the everyday business of life as well as through times and experiences of even greater importance.  

I'm sure his spirit is surrounding you with love and appreciation for all of the ways you helped each other and the times you spent together as faithful friends and neighbors.  

It takes quite a bit of time to move forward after such a momentous shock but move forward you must and continue to remember the times you shared together.  Your last encounter will always bring a tear to your eye and a catch in your throat but the wonderful memories will overshadow your shock and grief.  

Take care of yourself.  Spring and renewal are on their way.  Gerry is in a new and wonderful place...his work completed and his reward awaits.  Heart  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.