Listen to The Perfect Scam Podcast and Nominate It for a People’s Choice Podcast Award! Find Out More

Social Butterfly

Re: Why I Don't Have a Smartphone

Message 11 of 86

pagardener wrote:

Well I am not so sure about that. I had a cell phone plan (not a smart phone) that I paid 25.00 every three months for 250 minutes. Well it soon became obvious that I only use it for at most 20 minutes a month. I had so much money in my account my provider said I should get off the auto payment and just use up the money in the account and then reload. So I did...that was over 2 years ago and I still have 250.00 in the account without reloading. As far as the landline is concerned...I know it is expensive but where I live (NE PA on a mountain) I do not think I could do without it. When Sandy hit trees were down all over, the electric was out for 8 days, cable and internet were out for 8 days too and the cell towers were down. We have a whole house generator so we had power and our only contact with the outside world (we do not get radio reception here) was our landline...it worked the whole time. So we watched DVDs and played games on our computers and did clean-up around the property. Give up my home internet....NEVER. My computer has a 24" monitor...I could never read anything as small as what appears on a phone screen. As far as GPS is concerned...you could put my physical address (my mailing address is a PO Box) into a GPS and it will get you 3/4 of the way to my house and no further...just ask FedEx or UPS...the local offices have written instructions for any new drivers. So I will never own a Smart Phone...this from a gal who worked over 30 years in the Information Technology field....I keep up with it information wise but that is all.

Working in the IT field has nothing to do with it, since you were probably coding in basic on punch cards back in the 60s.  It really has nothing to do with smartphones.  Sorry that you are living so far out in the boonies that your area isn't on any map (which is the ONLY way GPS will not show correct directions), but I travel around the U. S. extensively and have never been unable to find a place using the CURRENT AND CONSTANTLY UPDATED map database available through Google, Waze and other apps.  Unless you have experienced the GPS not finding your house TODAY, it's irrelevant, although you might be in among the 0.000001 percent of places in the United States not in any map database.  By the way, we're talking about smartphones with real time map updates, not some clunky old stand-alone GPS unit from 2002 which the user has never updated.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 12 of 86

It's so true that I'm laughing.  Not funny when the phone use causes car accidents though.  It's just not worth it.  It is an addiction, we were better off before all of this technology.  People don't talk to each other because they're busy with the phones, also (that is people physically in the same location, like a restaurant).  I agree with you, even though I have one.  I like it, but I won't die without it either.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 86

Smart phones eh?

iPhone 7 should last around 5-6 years for me, with 128 Gb storage.

Apps ez to use, if you can type on keyboard and computer, you learn how to use the keypads. A little cursing happens, discovering. How to type with fingertips and dragging/pinching screen vs mouse.

Where I live, work, play might be 20 to 10,000 people in each town, within 50 minutes of home.

A call to 911 might be 2 hours away but, I can get people to exact location courtesy of GPS with an hour, non PD.

No cell coverage not a problem,  that's why you can text.

Cost $50 month and rollover data, voice, text with AT&T and 20% discounts.

I actually wake up to the alarm clock, I'm a sound sleeper and have slept through a pipebomb 20 feet from my head in the late 60's.

Every Xmas with new contract, the latest greatest iPhone is free, vs $1000 or less. Different memory capacity.

Androids sorry no faith, computer security background. 

And as of a few minutes back, the best reason is to call or text neighbor after dropping 750 lbs on your stomach, while removing that pesky 15" snow pile, removing that last 600 feet worth of driveway snow.

Its way easier to text than try to breath and speak on a call, well my Fitbit says I need coffee and a sit down.

Only thing I hate about smartphones is I miss delete key, backspace doesn't agree with me.

Frozen

Info Seeker

Message 14 of 86

Pure Talk USA no contract uses AT&T network 

• $10.00/mo.
  • 300 Minutes Per Month
  • 50 MB/50 MMS/mo.

Conversationalist

Message 15 of 86

I don't have one and don't want one! They are the most annoying device to people around the user. Seems no one can function or think without a smart phone in their hand. I see mothers seem to forget they have children in busy parking lots because of using their phone. I guess I just don't want to walk around appearing to be addicted or/and brain dead.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 86

I’ve had a smart phone for about 3 years now. I think it’s a useful tool that I can use for business, pleasure, and as a volunteer. With smartphone technology and broadband wireless you can send and receive an e-mail or text, make a phone call and use the web wherever you go in the world.
As a precaution l don’t allow my phone to connect to just any public Wi-Fi just those that I know and trust as a secure private network.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 17 of 86

Well I am not so sure about that. I had a cell phone plan (not a smart phone) that I paid 25.00 every three months for 250 minutes. Well it soon became obvious that I only use it for at most 20 minutes a month. I had so much money in my account my provider said I should get off the auto payment and just use up the money in the account and then reload. So I did...that was over 2 years ago and I still have 250.00 in the account without reloading. As far as the landline is concerned...I know it is expensive but where I live (NE PA on a mountain) I do not think I could do without it. When Sandy hit trees were down all over, the electric was out for 8 days, cable and internet were out for 8 days too and the cell towers were down. We have a whole house generator so we had power and our only contact with the outside world (we do not get radio reception here) was our landline...it worked the whole time. So we watched DVDs and played games on our computers and did clean-up around the property. Give up my home internet....NEVER. My computer has a 24" monitor...I could never read anything as small as what appears on a phone screen. As far as GPS is concerned...you could put my physical address (my mailing address is a PO Box) into a GPS and it will get you 3/4 of the way to my house and no further...just ask FedEx or UPS...the local offices have written instructions for any new drivers. So I will never own a Smart Phone...this from a gal who worked over 30 years in the Information Technology field....I keep up with it information wise but that is all.

Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 86

ASTRAEA wrote:

Loved seeing this topic today! I used to have a cell phone, but when I needed it the most, in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, I didn't get reception .. so I didn't add minutes for it afterwards! I swore that when things got back to normal, I'd get a smart phone, primarily for emergencies & phone/internet access if I lost cable. Well here it is 4 years later, and I've never been in the mood to deal with Verizon, much less spend $100 +/- monthly, for yet another "communications" expense!

Yes, it is fun when I'm out, when someone uses their smart phone to answer a question, but for me it's not worth $100/month for it! Now I'm also avoiding it to eliminate EMF around me.

$100 a month?  Nope, more like 40 or 45 a month, which is half the cost of a landline.

Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 86

Carriers don't really like to admit it, but even if there are no minutes available on a phone, you can still dial 911 from any phone.  As long as the battery is charged and the phone is within range of a tower (any carrier), a 911 call will go through.

Conversationalist

Message 20 of 86

Good points.  Another is during severe weather.  If the landline are knocked down, your landline phone will not work.  Even if the cell phone circuit is busy, a lot of times you can still gets texts in and out.