It’s open enrollment season for Affordable Care Act health insurance! Here are 11 things you need to know.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why I Don't Have a Smartphone

Message 41 of 86

Agree except Have very small  supply drivers!  Unable to drive and unable to use public trans 

, esp.buses.  Will have to have smart phone for Über as some medical ppl are quite far away.  Many things have and will change.  When look back at only TV, goodness there none when I was growingup.  We played outside as weather permitted  Guess that statement has been around the block several times  --  right?

Charlee

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 86

I always have my basic cell phone (not a smart phone) with me for use in an emergency (car crash, fall in woods, or similar).  I am retired and I no longer need to communicate with co-workers.  I do not have  family who rely on smart phones.  I can see a future need for using a smart phone for medical or home-care communications.  For the present I have no use for  "social media".  I do not want a Face Book or Twitter account.  When I am "out and about" or waiting in a doctor's or dentist office I observe many if not most other people glued to their smart phones -- I refuse to risk this addiction.  I use a large-screen laptop at home to get national and local news f(rom reputable sources), and to read the many online magazines and newsletters I subscribe to.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 86

I do have a SmartPhone and I use it as other people use LifeAlert monitore.  I put the phone in my pocket when I go down cellar, take it in the car for emergencies, and take it on my daily hikes in case I fall.  My chilren insist on it, esp when I walk in the woods.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 86

I don't currently have or use a smart phone.I have a cheap cell phone I keep in my car for emergencies.I don't want to become a cell phone junkie,like I see so much of,here in So California.I already spend a lot of time on the internet,which I believe is much more educational and useful than what I would be doing with a smart phone.If I spent as much time on a smart phone as I do on the internet,I wouldn't have much time for anything else.So,if I want to get a smart phone and use it sporadically,it needs to be much cheaper to buy and use,than what is offered today.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 86

I've found that 911 works when regular cell calls wouldn't,so that is an option in an emergency,not requiring a smart phone.I will purchase a smart phone when it gets a lot cheaper to buy and use.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 86

Why I do have a smartphone.

After hurricane or blizzards or natural disasters if away from home it is a lifeline.

Even if you can't make cellphone calls (voice) texting does in most cases work, irregardless of number of bars of service.

Yes, I have already tried it and it worked.With 0 bars of service, text messaging did work.

Was able to get police to scene of accident, in cellphone dead zone vs driving 1 hour to see a house and perhaps find a landline to make the call for life flight.

Try texting or reaching police with dumb phone, and low battery for joy.

I =4,4,4 .M =6 . F=3,3,3. I=4,4,4. N=6,6.E=3,3

I hope you never face needing to text for help, for a stranger or loved one.

Personal opinion only Corded landline for no power, all telephone companies have generators.

Smartphone for all else, yes voice calls might not work but, smartphones modern ones at least can tag into WiFi signals if unsecured to make voice calls, or allow texting, or allow you to get news of what's happening via internet or government alerts.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 86

I don't have a 'smart'phone because I prefer a 'dumb'phone instead...now THAT'S  'smart'.. Ha!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 86

I'll attempt a PM to you otherwise it will be one long post.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 86

Frozenoem

My router is mine and is about 4 years old.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 86

Dave, 

for brevity check the the links offered previously.

for more - composition of house, silly concrete block and bricks can be a pita.

heck even horse hair plaster walls can mess with signal strength.

signal source dsl, cable, satellite.

Providers router or yours.

How old is it, and the list goes on.

All problems I've dealt with were solved (knock on wood)

Cant jinx the record😇

Frozen

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: