From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Which dept stores or discount do you frequently shop and why?

Message 1 of 10

Seems like most of my shopping is food related.  And I have to go to multiple stores to get everything I use.  Ingles is the only store here which carries organic celery.  Lots of stores have organic carrots but some charge really high prices.  You cant get naturally fermented saurkraut  in most stores, I go to Publix for that.  I like organic milk and half & half but will not use the Horizon so I have to go to Ingles for that too.  I like Aldi's for wine and produce.   Krogers covers most everything else.

I order something from Amazon about once a month and get food & supplements on their subscribe & save program.  I have found Vitacost has good prices and they have subscribe and save too.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I most frequently shop on-line at Amazon. Hands-down, our go-to-first resource. I was a long-time catalog shopper and still love leafing through them, but buy on-line whenever possible. I hate searching for something, standing in endless lines, driving and parking to/from. Waste of my time and energy when I can click on a button and have it delivered to my doorstep.

But I'm not particularly price-sensitive; we're more brand-sensitive. If my market doesn't have what I like - and they know what I like, they've been keeping records on my purchases for 30 yrs now - then I'll buy it on-line if I can. I won't waste my time running from store to store for something that costs me $10 or even $50. I have a lot of fun things to do in life, and going through hassles isn't one of them.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I will start out by saying that I worked in retail management for 10 years after I got out of the Army in 1969. Many things have changed and some thing are just the same.

I have a real problem with Menards and Walmarts business models and I will leave it at that.

When it come to places like Kohl's, Target and Shopko I find it very hard to compare prices as they tend to carry different brands of clothing. For me it dose not matter as they do not carry very much in the way of clothing for slender men over 6 foot tall. Love Eddy Bauer's tall selection.

Also I will point out the with many items like coffeemakers, cookware, TV's and etc you need to be sure you are comparing the exact model numbers when checking pricing.

I have always found it interesting that women pay more for similar types of cloths than men and the men's clothing is generally better made.

I try very hard to buy locally as much as possible at places like our locally owned Ace and True Value hardware stores who generally carry better models than Home Depot. When I give gifts I try to buy quality items at local speciality stores.

As for my wife she is a big end of season sale shopper and buys name brand clothing at Macy's and Boston Stores. She doe more internet buying than I would like to see but does well on sale items and buys only items from places that have local stores so she return an item that does. 

Again I say buy at local businesses where you tend to get better quality, service and a place that supports the local community. We have a local pet food and supply store that is always doing something to support the local animal shelter. They are also very competitive.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@doglover52 wrote:

I like Kohls because its the only store where I can find my New Balance walking shoes in my size,11.The other items I buy there are bed linen,purses recently bought "Cuddle Duds'. Even though I have a store charge card,I try to pay with cash.

I think all Gail is trying to say is that some of Kohl's coupons require that you charge the item to get the the percentage off discount. If you are paying cash; you won't get that percentage off your purchase. I know that the 30%, 20%, 15% scratch off coupon discounts work that way.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

DH & I shop at variety of stores, including both Target & WalMart.  At mall, where I rarely shop, I visit Penney's, Dillard's, & Macy's.  I rarely buy anything at Macy's, but sometimes make purchases at Penney's & Dillard's.

We look for clean & organized store, good price, our favored products/brands, & convenience of location.

Closest K-Mart is down the road in Temple Terrace.  The place looks like a fortress from the outside, & your packages are examined/checked as you leave.  This store is also dirty & disorganized - thus, we no longer shop at K-Mart.

We have a Kohl's fairly nearby, & shop there occasionally.  I more often shop at a Florida chain, Beall's, which is a lot like Kohl's.

Was interested to read that you make good use of Dollar Store, doglover52.  We have Dollar Store & similar type stores, & Big Lots, that we sometimes shop.  I am often surprised & pleased to find one or more good deals, that suit my needs, when visiting these stores.

We don't have any store charge cards.  Use credit cards & pay off balance each month.  We normally carry a certain amount of cash, so sometimes pay cash, but mostly we make good use of the credit cards.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Used to buy virtually everything from Sears, JC Penney, or Kmart.

Purchase a great deal from Menards (a local big box store like Home Depot), some Kohls, some Target,

some Wallmart, and outdoor gear largely at REI or Cabela's.At our age, don't need much other than food.

But more and more online....  Why the various stores?  Price or quality. Different stores offer different products for the best price. Because we work out every day and do a lot of outdoor activities, we go for higher end outdoor clothing (and pay more) at Cabela's or REI. Expensive, but good quality stuff that makes a difference when we're outdoors walking at 10-below (like this weekend coming up).

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@GailL1 wrote:

doglover52 wrote

I like Kohls because its the only store where I can find my New Balance walking shoes in my size,11.The other items I buy there are bed linen,purses recently bought "Cuddle Duds'. Even though I have a store charge card,I try to pay with cash.

This is not the best way to buy at Kohls because like nyadm said you have to work down from their inflated regular retail.

They base their discount coupons on their MVC rating ( Most Valuable Customer) - the more you spend, the better the % coupon they send you.

So it is BEST to charge every purchase on your Kohls card and then just pay it off at every billing.  This way they keep a running total of your purchases to rate you in their MVC status.

If you pay cash, there is no individual record kept of your purchase to build to this high(er) MVC status.

Gail 1,you are entitled to your opinion. I keep track of EVERYTHING I spend whether its by cash or credit card. I've been doing for yrs,it works for me. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

doglover52 wrote

This is not the best way to buy at Kohls because like nyadm said you have to work down from their inflated regular retail.

They base their discount coupons on their MVC rating ( Most Valuable Customer) - the more you spend, the better the % coupon they send you.

So it is BEST to charge every purchase on your Kohls card and then just pay it off at every billing.  This way they keep a running total of your purchases to rate you in their MVC status.

If you pay cash, there is no individual record kept of your purchase to build to this high(er) MVC status.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

I like Kohl's also but you have to be very wary of their prices. They artifically inflate their prices so as to make their sales and coupons look like a good deal. You better have an idea of what the price of an item is prior to shopping for it at Kohl's.

For example, they had patio chairs pre-marked at $69.99 a chair; chairs that Bed, Bath, and Beyond had for $24.99. Kohl's had "marked them down", so to speak to $26.99. There was an additional "clearance" markdown on them also. I also had a 30% coupon and Kohl's cash which, in the end, made the chairs 57 cents apiece, which was a good deal. In another instance, they has Eureka vacuums, on sale everywhere else for $99, for $169. I asked if they would price match Walmart.Com's price and they said yes. Walmart.Com had the same vacuum for $70, again I had a 30% off coupon and some Kohl's cash and got the vacuums for $43, such a good price, I bought two.

My point is that their "regular prices" are an inflated rip-off, never pay regular price. Even when you are using coupons at Kohl's, you still might not be getting a good price so do price comparisons with other stores.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Which dept stores or discount do you frequently shop and why?

Message 10 of 10

The dept stores/discount I frequently shop at are Kohls,Target,Dollar Store,my last resort is KMart.

I like Target for the discount on their books ranging from 20 or 25% off, I usually buy  TV/Movie DVD's for friends or myself,also buy my watches there Once in awhile I'll buy fruit/yogurt,if its  on sale. 5 yrs ago,I bought a pair of winter boots,I still have&use them.

The Dollar store I buy all my stationary needs e.g. envelopes/ cards,writing tablets, all my cleaning supplies for kitchen&bathroom.Sometimes I'll buy garbage bags,paper plates&napkins,salad dressing,cookies,pudding etc.

KMart is the only store I find my pull on knit pants which I've worn for yrs. Their women's winter boot selection isn't the best,never have in my size. A couple months ago I bought a pair of men's winter boots,they are working out great.

The other reasons I like shopping at Kohl's&Target,the layout of the store,I can find everything I need without asking an employee.I can't say the same thing about KMart,its not the store it once was yrs ago. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Replies