Get a newer and safer vehicle while saving money! Check out the AARP auto buying program.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where did you go on your honeymoon - Re-posted.

Message 1 of 22

@DaveMcK wrote:

Where did you go on your honeymoon. So was it some tropical place by the ocean or a big city?  We spent a week at my folks cottage. We where both in college so money was limited for an kind of trip. Before the cottage we stayed in a hotel for a night. Then we drove up to Green Bay to see Lambeau Field where the Packers Play football. We than drove to the cottage for our weeks stay of boating, fishing and water skiing. We visited friends in the area and ate out a couple times. Than it was off to school in Stevens Point, WI.

Diane, Mary & Dave about 1966 1.jpg

Cottage around 1960+ .jpgCottage Sept 1959 1A.jpg

These photos of the cottage are from about the time of the wedding. Mary is in the middle of the boat with my sister Diane driving the boat. We were married on Sept 3, 1966 which means our 49th anniversary is coming up this September.

So where did you go?

Went to Howard Johnsons in Indepedence , MO...Just a few miles from his parents house.

Ha,   didnt have much money,   was the Bridal Suite though.   Only for one night.   Huge bed and a stereo built into the headboard....I thought was really something back then...1971.   I didn't required much back then, (still don't)  just wanted to be married to my true love. 

Had the week end off then back to work on Monday.   

@DaveMcK wrote:

Where did you go on your honeymoon. So was it some tropical place by the ocean or a big city?  We spent a week at my folks cottage. We where both in college so money was limited for an kind of trip. Before the cottage we stayed in a hotel for a night. Then we drove up to Green Bay to see Lambeau Field where the Packers Play football. We than drove to the cottage for our weeks stay of boating, fishing and water skiing. We visited friends in the area and ate out a couple times. Than it was off to school in Stevens Point, WI.

Diane, Mary & Dave about 1966 1.jpg

Cottage around 1960+ .jpgCottage Sept 1959 1A.jpg

These photos of the cottage are from about the time of the wedding. Mary is in the middle of the boat with my sister Diane driving the boat. We were married on Sept 3, 1966 which means our 49th anniversary is coming up this September.

So where did you go?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 22

18 years ago my husband surprised me with a surprise honeymoon Charleston, SC for one week of "blissfulness" and "relaxation".  We started talking when we first "hit" the highway and before we knew it we were pulling up to the hotel.  After settling in to our room we visited "Purser's Restaurant" on the water for a wonderful fresh seafood dinner.  Some of the sites visited were; the boat cruise out to the "Fort Sumpter" site, sveral botanigal gardens and plantation museums, the "Market Place" for shopping along with many fine restaurants and shopping venues.  He was aware of these sites due to multiple times there for Navy Reserve Summer Retreats during his 22+ year Navy career.  I highly recommend this wonderful city on the water.  Walk the historic district, partake the supurb fresh foods and exquisite plantations and gardens.  Can't wait to return one day.  I eel like I have been on my honeymoon for the past 18 years.  I am so blessed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 22
Since I was a early teenager I dreamed of a honeymoon in Hawaii. I'm still waiting as we approach our 40th anniversary this year.

We were snow skiers who got married on December 31. There was an u e storm over night and someone smashed in the side of our car but it was drive able. New Years Day we drove from southeast PA to Vermont. We had a flat and changed the tire in the dark on a patch of ice. When we arrived at our first night's B&B at Stratton, the owners moved their daughter from her room so we could have a private bath, not a shared hall bath. The remainder of the week we skied at Killington. It was a walk out/ski-in location. Our car didn't start all week in the -40 degree temperatures at night. I got frost bite on the chair lift. We took ski lessons in separate classes. My instructor and his wife invited us to dinner and over drinks tried to convince us to quit our jobs and become ski instructors. Tempting, but we didn't.
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 22
We spent the night in Galveston, TX and then a couple of nights in Houston before heading up to Six Flags Over Texas for a couple of nights on our way home to Omaha, NE where my husband was stationed in the Air Force. I was fresh out of high school and we also attended my graduation ceremony while in Houston.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 22
Drove to Florida right after Hurricane Hazel 60 years ago during the motel price war and paid $10 at the Cascades in Miami Beach. For a number of years they would send us an anniversary card! Now all I have are memories. I lost my darling hubby on 12-13-14. Alice
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 22
Drove to florida,
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 22

To the American Museum of Natural History in New York City followed by a subway trip down to Greenwich Village for an early dinner and then back to Staten Island on the ferry.  We both had just a couple of days off from work for the wedding which took place outdoors in Staten Island's Mariners Marsh Park, a post-industrial natural area which we had worked hard to establish as a park.  Luckily the weather was fine though it was December.  Seventeen years have passed and while we no longer live in New York, we are still enjoying museums, historic sites and the outdoors together.    

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 22

as1508205 wrote:
Not very hard to remember at all... Did not have one!! 

Sorry to hear this! Went several years without cards or gifts as we could not afford them but we always had a special meal at home.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 22
Not very hard to remember at all... Did not have one!! My husband does not acknowledge the day we married, he does not even know my birthday date, not even give me Christmas gifts. He enjoys going to other peoples'activities, and then he acts like it is all about him, ,,,talks about how nice other peoples' activities are, says their wives deserve being rewarded! Me, well Ido not even get a good morning greeting, nor a good-night greeting either....
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 22

The plan was to spend a week driving through England, Scotland, and Wales and then a week on the island of Ireland.  Before our trip, we sat with my boyhood soccer coach who was from Liverpool and he laid out a detailed trip for us starting in Cornwall.  We headed north and made our way to the highlands of Scotland.  We enjoyed Great Britain so much we never made it to Ireland.  For two weeks we drove from village to village, avoiding big cities, and had a wonderful time.  We stayed in no hotels, only inns, farms, and B&B's.  Everything we were warned about GB turned out to not be true.  The weather was sunny for 13 of the 14 days.  We even got sunburned at the Highland Games in Scotland!  The only rain we saw was in London on the day we were to fly home.  The food was delicious and the people were wonderful. They were very accomodating to this couple from the States that had chosen their towns and villages to honeymoon.  What wonderful memories we still hold today! 

Kudos
Views