Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What were the top 5 songs of your birth year

Message 12 of 50

"Manana" for 1948.....  I've heard that song many times.   It's the only popular song for my birth year that I remember.     Although it does seem like a relic from the distant past.   

Maybe I should have been born during the 1960s.   Some of the hit songs from fifty years ago are still popular with different age groups.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 50

Here's another list that bb28114651 sent me to post. More Great Songs from November 25, 1963.

1   SUGAR SHACK

2  SURFIN  USA

3  THE END OF THE WORLD

4 RHYTHM OF THE RAIN

5 HE'S  SO FINE

.  .NANCY

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 50

Some lists are more specialized like Rock, Country, Pop and move themes.

I used the Billboard Hot 100 which to me is the stand for annual rankings of music.

Prior to 1955, Billboard did not have a unified, all-encompassing popularity chart, instead measuring songs by individual metrics. At the start of the rock era in 1955, three such charts existed:[3]

• Best Sellers in Stores was the first Billboard chart, established in 1936. This chart ranked the biggest selling singles in retail stores, as reported by merchants surveyed throughout the country (20 to 50 positions).
  • Most Played by Jockeys was Billboard's original airplay chart. It ranked the most played songs on United States radio stations, as reported by radio disc jockeys and radio stations (20 to 25 positions).
  • Most Played in Jukeboxes ranked the most played songs in jukeboxes across the United States (20 positions). This was one of the main outlets of measuring song popularity with the younger generation of music listeners, as many radio stations resisted adding rock and roll music to their playlists for many years.

Although officially all three charts had equal "weight" in terms of their importance, Billboard Magazine considers the Best Sellers in Stores chart when referencing a song's performance prior to the creation of the Hot 100.[4]. On the week ending November 12, 1955, Billboard published The Top 100 for the first time. The Top 100 combined all aspects of a single's performance (sales, airplay and jukebox activity), based on a point system that typically gave sales (purchases) more weight than radio airplay. The Best Sellers In Stores, Most Played by Jockeys and Most Played in Jukeboxes charts continued to be published concurrently with the new Top 100 chart.

On June 17, 1957, Billboard discontinued the Most Played in Jukeboxes chart, as the popularity of jukeboxes waned and radio stations incorporated more and more rock-oriented music into their playlists. The week ending July 28, 1958 was the final publication of the Most Played By Jockeysand Top 100 charts, both of which had Perez Prado's instrumental version of "Patricia" ascending to the top.[citation needed]

On August 4, 1958, Billboard premiered one main all-genre singles chart: the Hot 100. The Hot 100 quickly became the industry standard and Billboard discontinued the Best Sellers In Stores chart on October 13, 1958.

The Billboard Hot 100 is still the standard by which a song's popularity is measured in the United States. The Hot 100 is ranked by radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen BDS, sales data compiled by Nielsen Soundscan (both at retail and digitally) and streaming activity provided by online music sources.[3]

There are several component charts that contribute to the overall calculation of the Hot 100. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 50

I like to use playback.fm, but I noticed recently that the top songs are not the same as bobborst.com.  Why is that?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 50

« 195819591960 »Position  Artist Song Title

« 1958 1959 1960 »
1Johnny HortonThe Battle Of New Orleans
2Bobby DarinMack The Knife
3Lloyd PricePersonality
4Frankie AvalonVenus
5Paul AnkaLonely Boy
6Bobby DarinDream Lover
7BrownsThe Three Bells
8FleetwoodsCome Softly To Me
9Wilbert HarrisonKansas City
10FleetwoodsMr. Blue

The songs my parents apparently made me by, right there. (Actually, since I was an early spring baby, the songs below are the ones they made me by. Probably. Mom was a DJ.)

« 195719581959 »Position  Artist Song Title

« 1957 1958 1959 »
1Domenico ModugnoVolare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu)
2Everly BrothersAll I Have To Do Is Dream / Claudette
3Elvis PresleyDon't / I Beg Of You
4David SevilleWitch Doctor
5Perez PradoPatricia
6Billy VaughnSail Along Silvery Moon / Raunchy
7Perry ComoCatch A Falling Star / Magic Moments
8ChampsTequila
9Tommy EdwardsIt's All In The Game
10Dean MartinReturn To Me

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 50

bb28114651 was nice enough to help me with the top 5 songs for November 25, 1963. Drum roll please!#!

1(you're the )Devil in disguise. By Elvis Presley

2. If I had a Hammer. By Trina Lopez

3. Hey Paula. By Paula Paula

Be My Baby. By the Ronettes

5. Louie Louie . By Kingsmen.

My sincerest thanks to bb28114651, Enjoy Nancy

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 50

Mine are from 1953:

(1)  The Song From Moulin Rouge ....... Percy Faith

(2)  Vaya con Dios ......  Les Paul and Mary Ford

(3)  How Much Is That Doggie In The Window ....... Patti Page

(4)  I'm Walking Behind You ....... Eddie Fisher

(5)  You, You, You ......... Ames Brothers 

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 50
Nancy, search for “top songs in 1963”
click on Top 80 pop song chart - playback.fm
At the site, click on 1963 for all the top songs that year or click #1 on your B-day at the top to get the #1 song on the day you were born.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 50

7-29-1931 On your birth date, the #1 song was Minnie the Moocher by Cab Calloway and his Cotton Club Orchestra.

Do you want me to post the top 5 songs?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.