Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What this world needs is more Front Porches

Message 1 of 23

I enjoyed reading everyone's post, just reading brought back many memories.  I did many of the same things but I guess my favorite childhood memory is sitting on the front porch of the home my great grandfather built for his family.  It was the gathering place for generations of our family.  The house sat on the top of a hill in rural North Carolina, across the road was Laurel Mill (the most photographed mill in North Carolina).  My great grandfather worked there in his younger years.

I sat there in a rocking chair with whomever was visiting and my dear Aunt Lillie.  We watched the water run over the mill and listened to the beautiful sound it made. Birds were always singing, smiles were abundant as was lemonade and cookies. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 23

My favorite front porch memories are from the late 70s. As a young stay at home mom, the front porch was where I spent many hours with my firstborn. As an infant he took many naps in the swing, while I chatted with neighbors or caught up on sewing. Does anyone darn socks anymore? As he grew older we watched 🚌 and 🚚 go by. He learned colors and counting while we observed passing vehicles. Protected from the rain, we spent many afternoons watching storms roll in. Love the together time we had on that front porch. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 23

@2Papawrote:

My fav front porch memory is makin whoopie with my sweetie after dark in the swing!

Mine too, until her Father turned on the porch light. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 23
As I was growing up in a farm my favorite time Was the evenings sitting in our porch with my parents and listening to the sounds of the night . Then was my uncle and aunt house very close to the ocean with a beautiful wrap around porch rocking chairs, setting there with my cousin and my aunt and uncle. He was a man that love to talk about the stars, and we listened, he will point the stars and name them, it was so joyful, peaceful and we enjoy the most beautiful nights ever. Then was my grandmother house in town with a porch and a swing and other porch furniture, we will seat there and talk to the neighbors young and old, Always sharing small talk and a lot of smiles, great memories. As the years passed we went to live in Pennsylvania and again we had a front porch where I seated with my grandchildren in our swing and that was another good time. Porches are.a necesity, it forms better neighborhood where the elder and the children can get to know each other. We are creatures that need contact with each other, It also by getting to know each other those people that live alone get to get out and meet the neighbors. In my opinion a perfect neighborhood will be; houses with porches, a small park with some benches and flowers, where the elder could go to relax an interact with The neighbors, with the children, they need to get to know each other. Porches, rocking chairs, swings, make a great neighborhood where we are not isolate. Yes to porches
!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 23

The porch I remember the most was in the 1940s at my aunt and uncles home. My cousin and I played on it a lot and watched out the many windows it had and it was very close to the street.  The most funny thing that happened there is that my mothers brother would visit my aunt and uncle and he would sit on a chair on the porch with his Cocker Spaniel dog on his lap.  What he would do is sit the dog upright in his lap, place his own very thick eyeglasses on the dog, and when a car would go by he would squeeze a certain muscle (under the dogs paw---it did not hurt the dog) so the muscle would make the dogs front paw look like it was waving at the car going by.  It was hilarious!!!

Lynn Assimacopoulos

(Author of "Separated Lives")

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 23

Sitting on the front porch with my Dad watching a storm. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 23

We live in a rural area, and our farm is about 1/4 mile off-road.  Therefore, no one passing by our front porch.  It's our place to sit and relax.  The "big event" is on the Fourth of July.  The local Chamber of Commerce raises money for fireworks during the Spring, and on the Fourth of July the fireworks are held at the local high school, which has a large asphalt area in back of the school, and therefore is quite resistent to fire.  A good place for the firerworks.  It's about 2 miles from our house. Rather than join the crowd on the field, we sit on our front porch with our dogs and watch the fireworks from the comfortor our own home.

Also, since the porch is completely screened and we have no near-by neighbors, we can sleep out there when the heat gets unbearable inside the house.  The dogs join us, and our chickens and roosters serve as our alarm clock in the morning.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 23

Yes. and more places, including porches, to feek safe in as a child, I am extremely fortunate for those Smiley Tongueorches: of the community around me growing up. It has helped me survive the vicissitudes which then ensued. I am shuddering at what my little  grandchildren are facing,

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 23

We had a great time on around our front porch. Summer nights playing, eating watermelon, laying on blankets looking at the stars, and so much more. A funny memory was hearing the milkman drop off our milk on the porch from our bedroom. Might get lucky and have a bottle of chocolate milk. Great memories.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 23

My fav front porch memory is makin whoopie with my sweetie after dark in the swing!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.