There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What this world needs is more Front Porches

Message 11 of 23

So many "front porch memories". Walking to the homemade icecream store with little friends like me after climbing trees and chasing each other playing tag, and Mom or some other Mom cutting through a neighbor's yard to go to the family owned ice-cream store (same family who delivered our milk and cream in glass bottles at 4:00 a.m.). back with ice-cream cones. It was the best, as the sun set and our respective parents came to get us home.

All the way, 50-60 years later, to coming home home on an exhausting day at work and find a blueberry muffin/piece of lasagna from my next door neighbor.  "You are tiring yourself my dear,) this lovely lady in her 80s would say. Once in a while, she brished my hair, again, as we watched the sun go down. It reminded me of my grand-mother, because she used to do that when she visited, or we visited her.

Porches, or verandahs as they are also called, are places of rest.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 23

I grew up in a small community in Kansas. And as the songs say, it was where you met the community you lived in , be it Saturday evening or Sunday after church. And I think it was where the "Sunday driver" expression came from. Friends and families would driver around and see the changes in the town, touch base with friends, go to the Dairy Queen, get a cone and discuss the topics of the day. And it all circled around the front porch. If a friend or family member was home, they were on the front porch. It was where life slowed down enough to make personal contact with the life around you. Today in that same community, that has shrunk to about 4000, it's still done but has been mordified. One elderly lady that had for 50 years sat on her front porch to greet friends was fined for having an old couch on her porch as an "eye sore". It was worn and comfortable, but not an eye sore by any means. It just wasn't "politically correct" any more. So Sad. The community got together and got her another couch, but the city said it was no place for furniture. In a day where all communication between people seems to come from E mails and texting, I miss the personal contact that was lost from that time. People had more respect then because they were standing there in front of you and it tempered what they said. I'm 67 now and still sit on the porch occasionally, but those days are truly gone and with it another piece of my childhood. It's sorely missed.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 23

As children, after a snow storm, my siblings and I cleared the front porch of the snow, then we would take some of the shoveled snow and dust it on the porch.  Then we would slide across the entire length, back and forth.  Such fun!

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 23

When we were kids, back in the 50's....we lived on the Main Drag through our town.  We would sit on the porch and wave at all the traffic, talk to all the walkers, and basically just have fun.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 23

As a child who grew up in a “National Home” it was made in the factory in my home town. I remember when it was delivered in 2 Trailers and set up on the foundation. Just a “Slab” 24x32’ no porch! In the heat of the Summer, after 1953 when Dad bought a TV. We’d move the kitchen chairs to the sidewalk Dad would turn the TV to face the screen door,and we’d watch! 

Thankfully I hade Uncles who’s farm houses had BIG front porches! Complete with 

swings hung from the ceiling on chains! I remember rocking my-self to sleep!

those memories still make me feel Happy! 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 23

I was 19 the first time my mother took me to Indiana to visit her favorite cousins and her aunts and uncles who lived in a very small farming town.  The cousin's family raised corn, soybeans, and other vegetables, they also raised pigs.  My family lived in a suburb and the only anmals I saw were dogs, cats and animals in the zoo.  When we arrived it was a culture shock at first, but I took on the work of a farm family member: I fed chickens, gathered eggs, I even drove the combine (what a thrill that was, I was so excited and proud that I could do it.  One night I even helped deliver piglets and for three weeks I fed the runt every 4 hours.  But my favorite part of teh trip was sitting on the front porch every day, shucking peas or husking corn for dinner that evening, and after dinner sitting out on the forch drinking lemonaid or iced tea and listening to stories about my mother's summers in Indiana. (My grandmother was a school teacher and my grandfather was a lawyer and every summer my grandmother went back to her old home and introduced her children to another way of life).  Occasionally they turned on the radio, but I never watched television the entire time I was there, a shock to my family.  I learned to enjoy the quiet of the night, no cars, horns, no city noises. I listen to far off train whistles, the sound of crickets, cows mooing.  I went back to Indiana several times after that, when work and other commitments would allow. Even now I miss those times, it was hard work during the days and so relaxing at night.  Ieven learned to quilt sitting on that big front porch.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 23

I remember sitting and discussing and arguing the 1960's new morality, situation ethics which confounded us then and seems to be en vogue again now in the political arena, the removal of the movie code and being unsure how to react to the movies that relished that removal, and the glorious yet scary new permissiveness for women that meant we could lose our virginity again and again without apology or explanation. Fun conversations that sometimes whiplashed between being cool, religion, different generational norms and what seemed like big decisions then and rarely debated now.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 23

When I lived in Tucson, I liked to sit on the porch most afternoons and evenings and say "Howdy!" to everyone who walked past. This was in the early 1990's. Responses were usually a startled glance and sometimes a halfheardted wave.

Even then, the idea of being socialble was on the decline. There are some who blame smartphones for this, ignoring the fact that a ready and fast connection to someone on the other side of the planet was not commonly available before the 20th century, and not portable until the dawn of this one.

In fainrness, I was also surfing the net, using an 80x25 terminal connected to a Linux Slackware box via a 25' serial cable, running out through the window. Certainly NOT a portable internet device. But then, no one had them back then.

So … yes, porches in general would be nice to see more of.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 23

I raised my family in a small town with a big center green. We lived at the top of the green in a house with a big wrap around front porch. On the 4th of July the town closed the streets and had a huge parade. We were right on the parade route and hosted an epic party every year! The kids rode their decorated bikes all day long, played games on the green and danced to local bands in the street. It was big fun!! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 23

My favorite memory was building it.  We had a lot of teenagers from the church helping us build our porch and we had the wood for it stacked at the barn.  Oh they were so helpful lifting the wood onto the trailer of the tractor and bringing it down to the house.  We were making a wrap around porch so it took alot of trips, and we were really making progress.  With their help, we thought for sure it would be built in one day!  Well, on the next to the last trip at the barn, as they lifted one of the pieces of lumber up, a big ole black snake came out of it, "Pete" is what we called him.  Those kids went to running, they didn't care if it was a pet named Pete or not.  They went to hollering and running - that ended their wonderful help for sure.  God Bless them, they were eager beavers until then.  But as long as we have had the porch for years, we never commented on enjoying our porch that we didn't say something about the wonderful teenagers that helped us, and told their story. 

Kudos
Views