From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you collect? Repeat.

Message 1 of 50

@DaveMcK wrote:

Given some of the comments on this topic this maybe helpful. 

One word of caution here. "4. If everything matters, nothing matters." ??

Do you know what the Subconscious is? It's the place where we put everything that's been automated. Breathing has been automated, so we no longer hold it in our Conscious, but kind of put it in the "Sub" drawer along with other things that we don't want to think about. You won't know it's important until you no longer have it. I have regretted throwing things away a lot. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. If you ever get caught up a creek without a paddle, thinking about those who don't even have a boat won't get you out of your own problems. Not everybody is a McGyver, and they don't even know what to pack into their "survival kit". Donating your unwanted stuff does not unclutter the world; it only passes the stuff to a different part of it. Then you'll start disliking the new possesors of it, because that stuff is still around and you can't imagine why. "Repurposeing" or recyclcling will turn that stuff into something more desirable with less cost/damage than mining/taxing new territory. Waste not, want not. If things were made to last, then we wouldn't have so much junk in the first place. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. Only then can we avoid worring about "everything". Everything does matter, whether we like it or not, or can tend to it or not, or even if we're conscious of it or not. If we can get it right the first time, then we won't have to keep going back to it. Then we can pay attention to the things that make our own lives worth living. And that means allowing others to persue their own "life, liberty, and persuit of happiness".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 50

Given some of the comments on this topic this maybe helpful. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 50
I so agree with you Practicality. I have furniture that has been in my family for three generations as well as china, crystal, etc. and no child is interested. I am already grieving over my book collection. Now, I simply want to collect memories of times with my family, traveling...
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 50

NOT A COLLECTOR?Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 50
My grandmother handmade quilts for all her grandchildren. I was the first granddaughter to move away. I was in
Saginaw, MI when I had my quilt stolen from the laundry mat where I left it briefly in the dryer while running home to check on dinner. I've gotten other quilts but you can just imagine how I still miss that one. I still cant imagine why it was stolen. It was not even one of her best designs. I wanted it to put on the floor for my babies to feel free to spill, etc. and it meant much to me. In this area where I presently live, the market is not depressed. They are quite expensive and not made by hand.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 50

Okay, thanks!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 50

@a413526a wrote:

Do you have any interest in trading CD's? If so, do you have a listing available of your collection that we could exchange for review and consideration?

I don't have a list. The main reason is that CDs have a lot of re-makes advertised as original. I'm not talking about re-masters, I'm talking about a real re-make. very seldom do they measure up to the original. And once I find a good recording, I don't want to let go of it. And the things I'm looking for are not usually "popular". So, the odds of having a good trade are slim, and I don't persue it..

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 50

Do you have any interest in trading CD's? If so, do you have a listing of your collection for review and consideration?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 50

Do you have any interest in trading CD's? If so, do you have a listing available of your collection that we could exchange for review and consideration?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 50

@cw88217029 wrote:

P.S.-I had a friend who had collected 500 salt & pepper sets over the decades in her travels etc. When she died, nobody (friends/family) wnated it. That made an impact on me.

Sometimes, it's a matter of space. My parents had different collections, but we had to let many things go because we didn't have a place for them. We kept a few important items and a few family heirlooms that were very old, but the rest had to go. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season