There's always more to discover with your AARP membership. Explore your member benefits today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you collect? Repeat.

Message 31 of 50

@Faye1188

You might like to delete your email address on your post.

Hate to sound like a spoil'er but, it's google-able.

If you seek to purchase someone's collectibles PM them.

On the subject of my cut and signed cut glass, checked price, and sold. Healthier price than imagined or even possible by non stick and brick store.

Darn near went blind trying to read signature of artist on the glass, 3 press on iPhone takes enlarging to another level, that works with or without progressives.

And I really didn't want to attempt shipping 10 lb's of lead cut glass, intact wouldn't happen.😇

One piece removed from set for the collector, that wanted at ANY price 😎.

I can be a bit of a PITA if I know I can get more. 

Frozen

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 50

Cut glass items, I am interested.  List please and price.  Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 50

Have you tried eBay or even Etsy?   Could be a good market for them.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

aviation stuff

Message 34 of 50

Ahhh! A good topic for me. I have collection of aviation-related ceramic coffee mugs. Many are from military bases long-closed.

I also have ~30K Kodak 35mm slides of mostly military aircraft from around the world. All shot legally BTW. I've been trading with a few fellow collectors for 50+ years. I particularly have a Dutch friend who generously gives me second shots of all he shoots each year...~1,000/year. Yes, there are still a few labs in the world which process slides that are shot on Fuji film.

There are also a bunch of aviation photo collectors around the world. Many of these regularly swap slides.

The collection gets an occasional boost from retired Air Force, Army and Navy aviators who don't want theirs aircraft pix any longer (Hint, hint).I'm also searching for a method to digitize the entire collection. For now the scanners which do that are too slow to digitize a collection this big.

Finally, I collect and/or build plastic model kits, also of mostly-military airplanes. I have about 40 built models and 60 unbuilt.

There are two organizations I belong to which support these interests. American Aviation Historical Society and the International Plastic Modelers Society. Membership in both exceeds 50 years.

Many interesting collections in here.

Rick in Maine
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 50

I have been collecting for ages.  I have hundreds of Robert Harrop doggie people from the UK.  Have a collection of mushroom figures, Beatrix Potter & too many others to mention.  I did have at one time a room full of books-mostly history but finally donated to friends of library to sell but kept all the childrens books. Finally ran out of space & any extra pocket money so have controlled my urge to pick up any thing else. Forunately my daughter & grand daughter are attached to them too so at least I know they will have a good home.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 50

Over the years my husband started buying me Dept. 56 houses, churches, people and other accessories. 

I would like to sell them but even though there are new pieces still being made, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for retired items. At one time, prior to 2008, you could sell them easily. Not anymore. I hate to put them in a yard sale but that's where they may end up.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 50

Frozenoem wrote:

@Epster

Geez, I sold my well-weathered pine and hemlock boathouse exterior cladding Around 100 years old, off 10x20 building a lumber company drooled. Didn't keep weather out of boathouse.

2 roofs of galvanized metal sheets went for $5 each piece. 4 Truckloads worth (approx 200 5' x 30" pieces) kept some for backing behind the stove at camp, rest went for not scrap but, decoration in DC and NY apartments. Had I thought of that would have made $$$$.

Last week in Boston saw similar selling at $30 per sheet, at antique shop.

Frozen

@Frozenoem

Sometimes I think we need to start a "Shoot the Breeze" thread wherein we could finish up those slightly off-topic thoughts collecting in our noggins without frustrating other thread participants.

To that end, I invite you here: http://community.aarp.org/t5/Random-Thoughts-and/Shoot-the-Breeze/m-p/1842324#U1842324

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 50

@Epster

Geez, I sold my well-weathered pine and hemlock boathouse exterior cladding Around 100 years old, off 10x20 building a lumber company drooled. Didn't keep weather out of boathouse.

2 roofs of galvanized metal sheets went for $5 each piece. 4 Truckloads worth (approx 200 5' x 30" pieces) kept some for backing behind the stove at camp, rest went for not scrap but, decoration in DC and NY apartments. Had I thought of that would have made $$$$.

Last week in Boston saw similar selling at $30 per sheet, at antique shop.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 50

@Frozenoem  Indeed: many items I've yet to give away or sell via craigslist will probably end up on the auction block. Right now I'm in a prolonged state of saying goodbye. Smiley Happy

There's a woodworker out loading up some weathered circa 1970 barn wood that my  woodworking DH culled from his collection, and which I posted as a free item on craigslist yesterday. I'm especially pleased to see this retiree find a use for the wood; and hope he makes a bundle off of his craft. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 50

I have a love/hate relationship with auction companies- the books more money than I thought possible.

The 17' Rangeley boats (4) sold regardless of condition.

Anything can be sold, thank heavens. 300 pound oh my aching back -  anchor, Sold! I still have hope for the (4) his and hers Mc Culloch chainsaws. 1970 and 1980's.

Classics. Oh and where you collected the labels off crates, guess what came with the logging camp the crates.

Monday some are going away @ $40 each, for a wooden box - what??

Feel the need for an Uncle Henry's ad - stuff for sale. Put a price of twice what you want or more and accept half. Or be surprised when a 100 year old boat, with broken keel and holes where there used to be planks sells for almost the price of the new Polarcraft with trailer.

Frozen

Kudos
Views