Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What are your Thanksgiving plans this Year?

Message 1 of 6

Thursday Mary and I will have a slow day!  Watch a little football

and go to a movie. We will be going to Milwaukee for Thanksgiving dinner at our daughter Janice's place in downtown Milwaukee with everyone bring some food to share. 

Janice condo is in a very interesting building which was the Blatz  brewery. 

Hoping everyone has a great week, nice weather and an enjoyable Thanksgiving. 

Below are a couple photo of the Val Blatz condo:

theblatz.jpgDSC01559-S.jpgFB_IMG_1478701812010.jpg

FB_IMG_1511189995029.jpgFB_IMG_1511190009170.jpg

FB_IMG_1511126426467.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Thursday Mary and I will have a slow day!  Watch a little football

and go to a movie. We will be going to Milwaukee for Thanksgiving dinner at our daughter Janice's place in downtown Milwaukee with everyone bring some food to share. 

Janice's condo is in a very interesting building which was the Blatz  brewery. 64

Hoping everyone has a great week, nice weather and an enjoyable Thanksgiving. 

Johann Braun opened City Brewery in 1846. Valentin Blatz established a brewery next door in 1850 and merged both breweries upon Braun's death in 1852. The brewery produced Milwaukee's first individually bottled beer in 1874. It incorporated as the Valentin Blatz Brewing Company in 1889, and by the 1900s was the city's third-largest brewer.

During Prohibition, Blatz produced non-alcoholic beverages, from 1920 to 1933. In 1933, Blatz was issued U-Permit No. WIS-U-712, granting permission to resume brewing beer.

In 1958, Pabst Brewing Company, then the nation's tenth largest brewer, acquired Blatz, the eighteenth largest, from Schenley Industries. In 1959, the federal government brought an action charging that the acquisition violated Section 7 of the Clayton Act as amended by the Celler-Kefauver Anti-Merger amendment. The sale was voided in 1959 and Blatz closed that same year. In 1960, the assets of Blatz, including its labels, were sold to Pabst.

In 1969, Blatz was acquired from Pabst by the G. Heileman Brewing Company. Heileman, in turn, was acquired by the Stroh Brewery Company in 1996. On 8 February 1999, prior to its dissolution in 2000, the Stroh Brewery Company sold its labels to the Pabst Brewing Company and to the Miller Brewing Company. By 2007, Blatz was once again part of Pabst.

Below are a couple photo of the Val Blatz condo:

• theblatz.jpgDSC01559-S.jpgFB_IMG_1478701812010.jpgFB_IMG_1497795956515.jpgJanice & DeanVal._Blatz's_Milwaukee_Lager_Beer_1879.jpgblatz1892pencil.jpgUntitled-1_copy.jpgVal-Blatz-Brewery.jpg
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (2)
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

My plans include cooking of course; the traditional Thanksgiving dinner with a new side dish. As it gets closer to the holiday, I'll start getting invites and plan my day accordingly. Whether eating at home with my son and daughter with their families, it doesn't matter that much. I always like to cook my dinner anyway and the grands love my cooking. I just like the leftovers too. I don't care for traveling holiday time either. Have a happy and glorious holiday.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

My Thanksgiving plan is to have no plan.  This is a welcome thing for me after so many years of having it planned down to the minute in an effort to get up to Atlanta in time to have dinner and a bit of visiting with family before heading home with hopes of reaching here before dark.  Now most of the family left lives across the country instead of only 100 miles away.

I will wait for the day to see what activity speaks to me.  I'll eat whatever sounds good.  It won't be turkey, unless it's the last of the turkey soup I made a couple of weeks ago.  Right now pot roast sounds good.  

Here's wishing everybody a happy one, whatever you end up doing.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Sue, I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the visit.

We're doing our traditional just the two of us Thanksgiving. The menu is not a constant, but me cooking it from scratch is. No travel involved until Black Friday when we traditionally go climb a mountain or go up to 10,000 feet (or higher) to snowshoe or, like last year, got in a 5 hour bike ride.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What are your Thanksgiving plans this Year?

Message 6 of 6

I'm curious,what are your Thanksgiving plans this Year?

I'm flying out Tues morning,going to be with my brother John&family for a couple of days returning on Sat.It will be nice to see them,a change of scenery will do me good. I didn't go last yr,emotionally&physically couldn't do it.

I'm always leery of traveling around this holiday because of the unpredicatable weather here in WNY.It won't be a problem this yr Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Replies