With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

re: What are you up to with your grandchildren for Easter?!

Message 1 of 14
In Response to post:

This year I took four of them to Lowe's and let them purchase seeds of their choice, planting soil and even a swing seat replacement for their backyard set.  It was a new thing for us this year and we made new memories.  And I even bought myself a big stuffed yellow duckling.  I love making new traditions; new memories.

Happy Easter everyone!

Cyndy

Cyndy - I love the new tradition you've created!  I'll have to remember this one!  What a great way to usher in spring and experience the new beginnings of Easter too!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14
In Response to post:

I sat down with the grandy girls to color Easter eggs we always do that it's a tradition from when my kids were small.  Our church is having a walk with Jesus and Easter egg hunt this morning that we are going to, then tomorrow, off to church in the pretty Easter dresses that we bought the girls.  Their mom and dad give them an Easter basket on Easter morning and then grandpa hides candy filled plastic eggs for them in the back yard after church and before Easter dinner and all the family will be for that, except the daughter in Cape Cod, and she will call us on Skype.  Youngest daughter makes green bean cassolrole, the middle daughter is bringing cherry pie and ice cream.  I am baking the ham, yams, a coconut cake, baked corn and the trimmings.  We might eat our dinner outside, since it is supposed to be up in the eighties!  Happy Easter!

Oh irish it sounds like a WONDERFUL DAY!  Wish I could have a piece of that coconut cake!!! www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14
In Response to post:

How fun ladyfox! It's fun to hear of a different tradition in terms of the easter menu - frying fish instead of the traditional ham we always hear about! Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14
In Response to What are you up to with your grandchildren for Easter?!:

I can remember so many Easters with my grandparents. My grandmother Clara had a multi-colored dress she liked to wear and called it her "easter egg dress" because when we dyed eggs they often ended up looking like that! 

I still miss Easter egg hunts in her yard!

We will be going to www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS">Easter Church  and afterwards there will be a big  www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS">Easter popping basket  hunt at my house along with frying fish and cooking on the grill. www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS">Easter train   www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm824YYUS">Easter Lilies  

www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb098_ZNxdm824YYUS&utm_id=7926">

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

I can remember so many Easters with my grandparents. My grandmother Clara had a multi-colored dress she liked to wear and called it her "easter egg dress" because when we dyed eggs they often ended up looking like that! 

I sat down with the grandy girls to color Easter eggs we always do that it's a tradition from when my kids were small.  Our church is having a walk with Jesus and Easter egg hunt this morning that we are going to, then tomorrow, off to church in the pretty Easter dresses that we bought the girls.  Their mom and dad give them an Easter basket on Easter morning and then grandpa hides candy filled plastic eggs for them in the back yard after church and before Easter dinner and all the family will be for that, except the daughter in Cape Cod, and she will call us on Skype.  Youngest daughter makes green bean cassolrole, the middle daughter is bringing cherry pie and ice cream.  I am baking the ham, yams, a coconut cake, baked corn and the trimmings.  We might eat our dinner outside, since it is supposed to be up in the eighties!  Happy Easter!

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

I had my grandkids over night last weekend so they'll probably color eggs and such at home tonight.  Neither one of them knew of any plans for Easter with their mom so, who knows, I might see them sometime this weekend.  Tomorrow Bill and I will have dinner with his brother & wife.  Some other family members will be there.  I've called a flower shop and had flowers sent over.  I bought myself a hyacynth, love the fragrance so much.  That flower always reminds me of Easter and Spring time!

Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!

Linda

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14
In Response to post:

Oh I think my grand children are too old for the hunt, but they still expect Grammy to get them an Easter basket LOL.  They are teens now and they help at church with the egg hunts for the little ones.  We have many many memories of coloring the eggs and I would find a different way of doing it every year, or buy a different kit, so that no two Easters were alike!  Good memories we have made.

Mary

We will hunt for those Easter eggs. Even the big ones still love to do that. Then a nice Dinner to follow .

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

This year I took four of them to Lowe's and let them purchase seeds of their choice, planting soil and even a swing seat replacement for their backyard set.  It was a new thing for us this year and we made new memories.  And I even bought myself a big stuffed yellow duckling.  I love making new traditions; new memories.

Happy Easter everyone!

Cyndy

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

I miss all the fun hunting for Easter eggs and our baskets - I was an only child but lived nextdoor to my three cousins so the holidays were special in those days.

I also miss seeing my own son scurrying around the house trying to find his - hubby and I would sit back with smirks trying to give him clues - poor little guy -- but he found it without a lot of our help.

Now my son's on his own and moved to his own place in the City here (only 15 minutes away from us) but still doing his own thing with his girlfriend and friends.  But I still have a little boy back here -- someone just asked me if he was getting his hard boiled Easter eggs and basket.  Little hubby will be getting them on Easter morn and it should put a smile on his face.  Do they ever grow up?  Guess I really don't want them to.

At Christmas I gave everyone there own Christmas stockings full of little surprises and treats and even our grown son of 29 got a kick out of that.  He's not much into candy and such any more as he's "watching his figure!"

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

I do miss the egg dying days, but also have tons of great memories of doing it with my own children and my grands when they were young.  Things change.  This year I will eat lunch with my Mom at her facility, and then I will go to  my daughter's house for awhile where other family members will be, too.  I have two grandsons serving in the Army now and neither of them will be home for Easter, but we usually try to get them on the phone and let everyone talk to them when they're not with us on holidays.  Yes, times change, and we roll with it.  I hope everyone enjoys their day whatever you do!

Kudos
Views