Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Silver Conversationalist

re: What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 31 of 33
In Response to What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?:

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

What do you think contributes to a person's longevity?

My grandfather lived with me until he was 93.

The last year of his live was in a nursing home. I now regret that, but he needed physical care that I was not able to do.

I think having them at home around family is a blessing. Keeping them connected and participating with their loved ones is what they need.

When we went camping, to the amusement park, to outings at relatives and all other events we took

PaPa with us. The grand and great and great-grandchildren loved him. He was so good to children.

If at all possible get them to talk to you about everyting. They remember things about YOU that even you can't remember.

Bless them all.

Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 32 of 33

...This is a picture of my grandmother (Mom) with my sister, my son and me. She was 96 or 97 when she died. We all thought she might have lived longer if she hadn't had to go into a nursing home. I guess it was just too difficult for my mom and dad, aunt and uncle to take care of her. So much for 20/20 hindsight.

Now with my mom soon to be 90 years old, I'm praying she doesn't have to go in a nursing home (or healthcare facility) toward the end of her life.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

What Might Contribute to a Person's Longevity?

Message 32 of 33

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors