Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: What Do You Look for in Buying a Car?

Message 1 of 22 (8,936 Views)

One chauffeur or two?

Just teasing.

I look for simplicity in systems and practicality and low cost. My last vehicle was perfect for the city I lived in, and useful for in-state trips. When I moved to the mountains, however, I discovered that high-centering on a snowflake was not a useful characteristic, so I thought about my needs (more winter driving, need to haul "stuff", especially horse feed) and bought a 2wd Ford Ranger for cash. Saved a lot by shopping 2 years for that puppy!

Also bought a set of rims and had winter tires mounted on them. It's free to have them switched out with my summer tires, so that's not a recurring cost and I don't have to change them myself.

Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 22 (9,177 Views)

0.  Can i afford to buy it for cash

1. How comfortable is it to drive for me and my spouse.

2. Can we use all the controls without taking eyes off the road.

3. Can we get in and out without stretching or straining.

4. Can we see all around?

5. Does the maker have a reputation for reliability and good resale value.

6. Are parts easily available?

7. How easy is it to diy routine service and maintenance

8. Is the engine and transmission an established, high volume design.

If's a given that the car have enough seats and cargo capacity for our expected needs.

Only after a vehicle scores well on these, do I consider looks and color. Unless the hood distracts me as I drive, I really don't care about either. Rust, however, is unacceptable.

I only consider other peoples opinions if they help pay for my cars.  ;-D

I've owned Peugeots, Renaults, Toyotas, Chevys, Ford, Buick, Olds and Hondas. Everything from subcompact coupes to a Vista Cruiser.

IMO, of these the best overall were the Hondas. We liked our 2004 Honda Element so much that when it was totalled last year, we could have afforded newer and "better, but bought a used 2008 Element with similar mileage.  

Info Seeker

Message 3 of 22 (9,405 Views)

Bears and I have an agreement. If I stay out of their way and leave them alone, well, I will stay out of their way and leave them alone... Smiley Happy 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 22 (9,412 Views)

@catwoman500 ~ Oops!  I forgot about bears!  If we're not careful we might cause @bm121477 to rethink the move!

Happy retirement @bm121477!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 22 (9,419 Views)

@bm121477...then bears for sure! Cat Happy

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 22 (9,423 Views)

One of the reasons I like a bigger car. I am moving about 1 hour north of Pittsburg PA.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 22 (9,428 Views)

@Prosecco6247...Oh, Mimi, deer and moose and bears, Oh, my!  Cat Surprised Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22 (9,433 Views)

@bm121477 ~  Just a word to the wise...depending how far northeast you're planning to move, moose can be a road hazard as well!  

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 22 (9,441 Views)

I have my eye on the future when I buy a car. What weather I might encounter, what activities I will actually be doing and who I might have going with me. I am an artist and a potter. I plan to retire to the north east in the near future, so I know I need room to haul supplies, art work and a tiny trailer so I can go to art shows with my stuff. AND an all weather car. I look for AWD or 4WD, a fold flat back seat (I have never understood the stupid seats that fold down but insist on being at a 45 degree angle) and good gas mileage. I research safety stats and repair costs as well. I also REALLY WANT COMFORT!! Heated seats (it gets cold) heated mirrors and REMOTE START so the darn thing can warm up BEFORE I get in it. With those things in mind I am thinking maybe the Subaru Outback, AWD wagon. OR the Lexus 450h. I am leaning toward the 450h because it is a big car (hitting a deer = I might survive, unlike small cars) its seats fold flat and it gets well over 25 miles a gallon, and it comes with a full array of comfort features. My hitch with it is possible repair costs, ouchy...My first car?? The car that was the love of my life was a VW square back or type 3, but those are had to come by these days and not dependable enough for really rough weather. And of course when I was young I really never thought much about being comfortable, too busy worrying about everyone else Smiley Happy 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 22 (9,496 Views)

A really good radio that can be turned up really loud when the car makes terrible noises. It makes it much easier to ignore the mechanical problems.