From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: What Do You Eat for Breakfast?

Message 21 of 68

I don't eat traditional breakfast food. For my first meal of the day it might be leftovers from the previous night's meal which can be vegetarian or pizza to Meals on Wheels (just recently had them being brought in) to grilled cheese sandwiches. I will eat cereal or eggs for lunch or even dinner. I have no set type of food for a certain meal.l

Janet Meeks
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 68

@jw5013387... Oh, wow, I'll take your "scramble" any time! That sounds yummy! Cat Wink N.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 68

It varies, depending on the season and how tired i feel. Usually, I toss a whey protein shake in the blender with berries or other fruit and a container of plain Greek yogurt. Sometimes, it's cooked oatmeal with fruit. If energetic, I'll scramble some eggs with spinach, mushrooms, onions and cheese. I usually don't eat until I've been up for almost an hour. There have been times when breakfast has been a tuna sandwich!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 68

Go, Mimi!

Thanks for your great (as always) insight! Cat Wink N.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 68

@catwoman500 & @DaveMcK

Thanks for injecting a couple of notes of common sense into this discussion!  I gave kudos to the poster who makes his own yogurt and uses local honey as these are my own choices for reasons of health but I don't necessarily agree that the breakfasts described here explain the obesity epidemic in our country!  I think the culprit is lack of activity, high-fructose corn syrup, a penchant for super-sizing and washing it down with soda!  I am being serious here.

Dave, like you, I am a diabetic.  I think the whole milk & full-fat cheeses recommendation is okay because they are not sources of concentrated carbohydrates...a diabetic's number one enemy.  Taken in moderation, for a fellow like you, they should be all right.  If, however, you are accustomed to skim milk and low-fat cheese, it can be hard to switch to the richer kind.  I drink skim milk and use it in my cereal...now even 2% tastes like cream to me.  I never use margarine, only butter, but I use it in moderation.  I use less of it per serving because I buy European-style butter (such as President or Kerrygold) because it has an added culture which gives it a particularly enhanced "buttery" flavor...so "less is more" in this case.

I have a 5-year-old grandson who is diabetic and of course his dietary needs have to be calculated and balanced to add enough nutrition for growth and a high level of energetic activity.  His protein intake is not so tightly regulated as his carbo intake.  He's very good about his diet and taking his insulin but he's just a little boy and his "treats" have to be creative and spaced out.  I marvel at his discipline.

Listen to your body and listen to your doctor...you'll get a lot of valuable information from both.  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 68

Half of A sub roll with with butter one slice of ham one slice of cheese two slices of tomatoes one slice of roast beef small glass of orange and mug of tea with milk and one sugar

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 68

Usually a bowl of oatmeal, piece of fruit, (peeled apples, a banana or strawberries)  and a cup of decaf coffee. Occasionally two eggs over easy, bacon hash browns and wheat toast and decaf coffee or tea..

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 68

Leftovers: salads, beans, baked sweet potato, steak; fruit, boiled egg, walnuts/pecans/almonds, etc.,  and coffee made from fresh-ground coffee beans.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 68

If  I ate only yogurt I would be more under weight than I am. At 6'4" and 190lbs my doctor tells me that I need to add some weight. However, with diabetes it is hard to find foods the keep my A1C at it's currant level and a have a healthy weight. That's right, you can weigh to little to maintain your energy, an stength to deal with colds. An also with pneumonia when you get over 65. In other words one diet does not always fit all.

It is interesting that some studies say that whole milk and regular cheese in moderation can be helpful for those that are prediabetic or are over weight.Go figure!

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 68

Hi to all, especially the newer folks!

Some if these breakfast ideas are quite interesting. It’s been fun reading all the different responses. Cat Wink

As I said before, I don’t really like breakfast unless I’m out with friends, so at home I usually eat something just because I know I should. I certainly wouldn’t comment/“scold anyone” on the nutritional value of what has been mentioned or what anyone else desires to eat. None of my business! At this stage in our lives….YOLO! Eat what you want without the food police watching over your shoulder. You have lived a good life and have made it this far…enjoy!  Heart N.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season