Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 71 of 74

Epster,

I have an Apple peeler, for home made Apple pies. Plus a Butter Churner, and those old cast iron door holders. The real heavy ones. Nancy

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 74

What past? I still use a cheese grater that looks like the one you featured, @DaveMcK. Smiley Happy

It was my dad's, and I think he bought it at a junque shoppe in the Ozarks, so it is probably well over 75 years old. If it ain't broke, ya know.

I still have a circa 1940s rotary phone hooked up. We are about to disconnect the land line, but that phone will stay on the wall, just for fun. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 74

Great topic, Dave - 

I have at my home a collection of phones thru the ages.  I got them out the other day to show my grandson, who is 8, because when he answered my cordless digital phone the other day, he was holding it in front of him like a smart phone.

i have the old hard wired rotary phone which we used when I was a kid on a party-line, of course.  Try explaining party-line to a current day 8-year old, specifically the different rings to tell us if the call was ours or not.

Then the rotary with the plug-in phone wall connections, then the push button type - the one I have was for my mother who was pretty deaf, so hearing impaired type, then to the wireless digital phones.  Got cell phones too - those giant monstrosities, that looked like you had a radio stuck to your ear, to the bag phone, smaller cell phones, flip phone, cellphone with a small attached key pad, to the current day smart phone.

Needless to say, he was fascinated - wish I had had one of those old pay phones.  He was also fascinated by the fact that my Dad pulled the old hard-wired rotary out of the wall because I was talking on it too much as a teenager and the other party was complaining.  Then we had NO phone.

Yep, we really all do need a local museum just to show the kids today where we came from and how we got here.  I think many of them would be interested - a real life history lesson.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 74 of 74

What Are Some Common Items From The Past That Kids Today Won't Know?

il_570xN.989887941_cm7u (1).jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.