Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 61 of 74

Car windows that roll down

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 74

Telephone Booths - Real totally enclosed ones.

And maybe telphone directories also.

Dials on TV's for changing channels

Computers with floppy disks

Manual typewriters - with correction fluid.

8 Track audio tapes

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 74

How about the non electric adding machinne.  I worked for a power company, billing an average of 100 electric bills each day. I did the postcard bills that went to the customer while the other billing clerk did the ledger billing.  When we were both finished, she ran her billed amounts on a 12 bank adding machine which she had to manually pull the handle to record what she had just entered and then continue to the next customer's page and do the same.  I also  entered all the billing amounts from each customer card

on the same adding machine and hopefully had the same total amount  as she did. (Heaven forbid that someone had made a mistake in entering the amount and the totals did not agree .)  {I wish I had a picture of that machine to show the younger generation}

GRAMMY M

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 74

I saw the picture of Fels Naptha and it's surprising how many my age don't know about it!  It is still sold in the market and I use it to pre-treat stains.....It works great.  My mother used to make me use it in a bath after going in the woods in case of poison ivy. I will continue to use it and the bar will probably last me for the rest of my life.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 74

I'm a collector of anything and everything related to clotheslines!  I give presentations to folks of the age(s) that remember well the days when everyone hung their laundry out on the line to dry.  It's called "The Love, Lure, and Lore of the Laundry Line."  My talk along with the memorabilia I show, and the PowerPoint presentation, stir up memories long forgotten about those simpler times.  Today's youngsters, for the most part, know little if anything about clotheslines, so I also give talks to preschoolers and elementary schoolers to show them how we used to dry clothes, and all the good reasons why we did so.  I have an enormous collection of clotheslines depicted in many forms of art, photography, decor, in literature, advertising, people's personal stories, etc.  Of course many folks still use the clothesline, but for hundreds of thousands of those living in condo communities, no form of outdoor drying apparatus is allowed.  And today's young families just don't have the time to "hang out" any more.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 74

A typewriter!  No electricity, no spell check, and if I made a mistake I had to white it out or redo the whole page!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 74

What about the old wind up alarm clocks? I teach high school students who don't have any idea how to read the wall clock on my classroom wall. They have to pull out their smart phone to look at the digital time display. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 74

@DaveMcK  What? No disc brakes? Get out. Smiley Happy

Yeah, bikes were once so simple I was actually able to put together a half way decent bike from two junker bikes. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 74
@Epster I'm sure that the bikes you and your husband use are very up to date. I remember my first bike was a Schwinn Coaster Cruiser Bike with a coaster brake in the 1950's .
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 74

@n566192l  Oh yes: the butter churners! We'd sit out on the porch and churn butter while my stepmom mended clothing on the treadle sewing machine. Neither of these are likely to be well known by anyone under the age of 30.

I have a slew of Indiana Glass Harvest Grape Milk Glass dishes bought (by my mom-in-law) with S&H greenstamps. Bet the younger folks don't know about S&H greenstamps either.

Or about school dresses made with gingham fabric that was once a flour sack. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.