Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 41 of 74

@DaveMcK wrote:

What Are Some Common Items From The Past That Kids Today Won't Know?

il_570xN.989887941_cm7u (1).jpg

Oh, wow!  I know what everyone of those items are and what they are for.  I went through a large storage box in the basement just the other day and there I found three bars of Fels-Naptha.  Haven't seen that stuff in y-e-a-r-s! 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 74

Bread box. While playing a guessing game with family, I asked my 12 year old granddaughter if the item she was thinking of was bigger than a bread box. She had a blank look and asked " what's a bread box?".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 74

I've really enjoyed reading all of the posts. It's like a trip down memory lane. My mom had a wall-mounted rotary phone in use until she moved out of her house around 05. I also have her old fashioned cheese grater and it works just fine.

How about our old fashioned stereo systems with the big floor speakers? We still have ours, and it sounds better than anything you can buy these days, short of those expensive theater systems. I refurbished the speakers and mounted them into a cabinet. If played at full throttle, it would blow us out of the house, and probably also the neighbors! 😸 At least turntables and vinyl are making a comeback. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 74

Card catalogs in the library. Remember the long file drawer needed to hold the cards. Then they were transfered to micro fiche with a reader.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 74

Rubber-band guns; advertising icons (e.g., Speedy Alka-Seltzer, Charlie the Tuna, and Tony the Tiger); board games like Risk, Go to the Head of the Class, Uncle Wiggly, and Stratego; primitive electronic games (e.g., Pong or PacMan); TV antennaes, glass and mercury thermometers, Bactine, BrylCream, cut-offs.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 74

How about fountain pens, ink wells oh! Cursive writing? And mention a slide rule(i wish i still had one)and they are horrified and bewildered! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 74

@cp|920  Yes, Gregg shorthand.  I just started volunteering at the bookstore in our library and when the trainer was showing me how to work the cash register I took notes in Gregg shorthand.  She was amazed and said she takes Gregg shorthand, too, and I'm the first person she's ever met that still uses it.  Why not?  I didn't need to log into a computer or smart phone to use it - just grabbed a pencil and piece of scrap paper.  And I think using shorthand and other "outmoded" things keeps our brain sharper than if we were just using a smartphone.

A while back I was buying some items at a container store and they were each 10% off.  When the  young girl at the register rung up my purchases, she grabbed her smart phone to deduct 10%.  Easily calculating it in my head I told her the amount of the discount.  She and another young person behind the counter looked at me in amazement and asked how I figured 10% in my head.  Ugh!  I broke it down into the most basic terms I knew and showed them how to move the decimal point to get the answer.  They still looked puzzled.  Yes, people aren't being taught to use their precious asset - their brain.   They need to rely on their machines.  Unfortunately, brains are another item that might go by the wayside if we don't insist on younger people using them!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 74

And using them wasn't all that long ago, either! I went to a commercial high school (curriculum: learning how to work in an office with all its machines, including an operator switchboard!) and this was in the mid-60s! So I think of all the items that people younger than 30 will not know:

1) Shorthand (Gregg or Pittman);

2) adding machines;

3) operator switchboards;

4) manual typewriters;

5) carbon paper;

6) carbon paper sets;

7) onionskin paper;

8) typewriter ribbon.

I'm sure there are others but I have to think of them. Maybe in a later post.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 74

Thank you, thank you for your comments and for pointing out many of the wonderful reasons to continue to use the clothesline for free, solar drying!  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 74

Rolling pins and egg beaters.  I can use both to make mashed potatoes, as well as their intended use.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.