Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 11 of 74

Going back to the picture of the old aluminum ice tray - - - boy did I ever hate those things. We live where the water has high mineral content, and those things were practically impossible to pry open. We'd end up melting a lot of the ice to get them open. The flexible plastic ones worked a little better so long as they weren't filled too full. I was oh so happy to have a fridge with ice maker, and haven't used an ice tray in about 25 years or so!

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 74

@LydiaN586309 - You mean the car peddles? clutch, brake, gas. Oh, let me tell you, the youngsters know well how to use them! They still drag race their sports cars on the streets. Cat Wink

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 74

Okay now!   Who remembers this.......

Image result for PICTURE OF THE CLUTCH ON THE FLOOR OF A CAR

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 74

Hello,n566192l!

You know Nancy, we are really showing our ages.  But those ice trays really worked well.  I often have to struggle to get the ice cubes out of the trays now.  Bang, bang, bang on the counter!  Out pops the cubes--on the counter, in the sink, and on the floor. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 74

The picture is of an old aluminum ice cub tray .You pull the lever up to release the ice cubes ice.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 74

@n566192l wrote:

LydiaN586309

I believe the picture you posted is a picture of a weep hole. I recently got a handout from my Association asking the homeowners if we had repos and to make sure that they were not covered

Yep.  You are correct.  

But do you think young people would know what this is or how to use it?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 74

LydiaN586309

I believe the picture you posted is a picture of a weep hole. I recently got a handout from my Association asking the homeowners if we had repos and to make sure that they were not covered

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 74

Dip or nib ink pens, fountain pens, ink cartridge pens. Doubt kids would know what to do with any of these unless they are into art or calligraphy.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 74

Image result for weep holes in windowsNow, can anybody tell what this is?  I know it's not much of a clue.  But if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.  Smile.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 74

Brava,  Ladies!

Nancy,  you identified those root cellars.  Surely most young people have never seen or heard of a root cellar.  But they really came in handy back in the day especially since for many people, that was the only way to keep food cool, dry, and from spoiling.

And MaVolta, you knew a lot about the old wash tub and washboard.  I remember helping my grandma and mom wash clothes and things with the washboard and having to ring them out by hand.  It was a lot of work for sure.  So glad we have the conveniences of indoor plumbing and washers and dryers today!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.