There’s always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Common Items From The Past Kids Won't Know?

Message 51 of 74

@clotheslines:  I still have a clothesline in my backyard and use it frequently.  Our house is solar powered, and I figure my clothes are being "naturally" dried by solar - the real thing.  There's an area in our town where clotheslines aren't allowed.  I guess they're considered an "eyesore".  I live on a farm and anything goes on my property.  My dogs have learned that pulling clothes off the line is a "no-no".  All my "hung" clothes smell so fresh and hanging clothes gives me more exercise and time in the fresh air than drying clothes in the dryer.  If you  haven't tried it, you don't know what you're missing.  I feel sorry for this generation that doesn't know how to do things manually, such as hanging clothes on the line.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 74

Several years ago I was unemployed and my friends were both working and needed someone to watch their little girl for a couple of weeks until she started pre-K.  I lived in an old house and the frig did not have an ice maker.  And I, being of thrifty mind, was not going to be extorted by paying 2-3$ for a bag of ice several times a week.  So I did what I remembered my grandparents and parents doing......I bought ice cube trays! (No....not the old metal ones with the pull lever...the white plastic ones from Walmart.)

So, one day, she is sitting in the kitchen with me eating her lunch.  She saw me filling up the trays and asked me...."Aunt Neegee (because she has a had time wtih my first name), what are you doing?"  I told her that I was making ice cubes.  Poor little thing was like a deer in the headlights.  She had this puzzled look, and obviously had no clue what I was talking about.  I had to explain the process of "freezing water into cubes".  It was rather entertaining to me.....but she was totally lost!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 74

Cursive writing they don't teach it in schools anymore

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 74

I was at Target recently and was looking for a dish drainer.  We don't have a dishwasher and it's a rack you put in one side of the double sink to put clean wet dishes in as you wash them.  I probably don't have to explain but, just in case!  Anyway I couldn't find them and asked a person (he was probably 18 or 19) where they were and he brought me to an aisle with plugs, and strainers for the drain.  So I asked again thinking he misunderstood me and he looked at me with a blank expression.  After I explained and practically drew him a picture it suddenly dawned on me!  I said to him, "your mom has a dishwasher doesn't she"?  And he said "of course, how else would the dishes get washed".  Then I told him I didn't have one and explained how dishes got clean if you didn't, and he still had to ask a co-worker for the aisle they were in.  After she showed him we all had a laugh but it brought home to me how we lose track of things as time goes by!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 74

Lets ride the real wayback ride, how about a phone with a crank and a party line? Yes I have used both which I guess means I must be anchantSmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 74

This is more sad than anything.  Last month my son and I were at Tampa airport going to California for a family cruise with my other children and grandchildren.  Wherever I go, I always have a book.  I am not so obsessed with staring at my phone, tablet, whatever!  Our flight was delayed for two hours due to weather conditions.  My son (20 years old) had wandered off to get coffee.  I sat there, reading my book, and noticed a little girl, maybe 2 or 3 years old.  She was being very good considering the situation.  But she was very focused on ME.  I finally heard her turn to her mother and say (while pointing in my direction) "Mommy!  What is that lady doing?"  I did not want to cause an awakward moment, so I contained my laughter and thought to myself....."....what a pitty that children today aren't taught what BOOKS are?!?!?!?"  Don't peopel read to their children anymore?  I read to all 4 of mine, starting in the womb!!!  Maybe this explains some things.....some very, very sad things!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 74

The good old-fashioned book called the dictionary!!!  I bought a Scrabble dictionary at a thrift store, and we started playing Scrabble with my 9-year-old granddaughter.  I soon realized that she had no idea how to use it (using the top portions of the pages as a guide, instead of flipping endlessly page by page).

Now she knows!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 74

Encylopedias

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 74

Sliderules

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 74

Green/Plaid stamps from grocery stores

One Hour photo development booths

Kudos
Views