Get the facts you need about your eye health, including updates on the latest treatments, at the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What Are Your Plans for Thanksgiving?

Message 1 of 18

@margaret23509 wrote:

i thought I had posted here on this topic but maybe not. I just didn't want to repeat myself. This will be the first year that we have not had Thanksgiving at the ole homestead, just down the street from where I live now. My older son is living with me and my brother, who is 5 years older then myself. It's very hard to talk about  but I will just have to learn to adapt to the new situation. My younger son's wife wants to have Thanksgiving dinner at her sister's, so that's what they are going to do. My older son is helping me with the dinner and we are going to have it here, at my house. So it will be just my son and I eating Thanksgiving together, my brother is a loner and he prefers to eat alone.  The ole homestead was sold by my younger son and his wife a few months ago. Contractors are down there now, renovating the old house. My Grandfather had that house built in 1924, they moved in when my mother was just 10 years old. No one but our family has ever lived in that house. I know, times change, the younger generation think differently then we do so you just have to adjust to things. I try to remind myself each day of my many, many blessings. And I do have many. Oh, I've been through many a storm let me tell you but I'm still here, and even though Thanksgiving and Christmas will be different this year, I still have so much to be thankful for. 

Sounds like you have some major changes you are grappling with this Thanksgiving, Margaret - a lot to absorb as Thanksgiving occurs tomorrow, & then the Christmas season follows close behind.  Thanks for filling us in, as to what's on your mind.  Helps us all get some perspective on our own concerns, I imagine,  & hopefully it has helped you to share.  Perhaps you will get through Thanksgiving & the Christmas season much better than you are anticipating - I sincerely hope you will find some bright spots & some reasons for laughter during this time.  And there are still those roses for you to stop & smell -  be patient & aware, & you will notice them, maybe when you least expect it!  Pam

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

i thought I had posted here on this topic but maybe not. I just didn't want to repeat myself. This will be the first year that we have not had Thanksgiving at the ole homestead, just down the street from where I live now. My older son is living with me and my brother, who is 5 years older then myself. It's very hard to talk about  but I will just have to learn to adapt to the new situation. My younger son's wife wants to have Thanksgiving dinner at her sister's, so that's what they are going to do. My older son is helping me with the dinner and we are going to have it here, at my house. So it will be just my son and I eating Thanksgiving together, my brother is a loner and he prefers to eat alone.  The ole homestead was sold by my younger son and his wife a few months ago. Contractors are down there now, renovating the old house. My Grandfather had that house built in 1924, they moved in when my mother was just 10 years old. No one but our family has ever lived in that house. I know, times change, the younger generation think differently then we do so you just have to adjust to things. I try to remind myself each day of my many, many blessings. And I do have many. Oh, I've been through many a storm let me tell you but I'm still here, and even though Thanksgiving and Christmas will be different this year, I still have so much to be thankful for. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

@pl49586880 wrote:

My children are busy,  one going to new wife's families and other going to new girlfriend's family.  I am alone tis year and truly I do not mind, my mom passed memorial day and my neighbor's mom passed in March and my neighbor came up with cancer unexpectedly for 3 months and passed of liver cancer and then I just got news my mom's aunt of 98 of age just passed on Sunday and they forgeot to tell my brother and I that her dtr. passed of a long standing cancer in Aug..   Sooooo needless to say it has been a rough year and spending Thankgiving alone is ok with me to reflect!  Sat. after I am cooking whole meal and taking to son's apt. to meat with both boys and wife and girlfriend to celebrate then anyway so we will be fine.  :womanhappy  even if not on the day.  I guess i will survive!  Neighbor's dtr. invited me over on the day but I do not wish to go, I would rather reflect cause they been thru way too many more deaths in their life than I.  I do not want to hear it!  Woman Sad

Sorry that it's been such a bad year, but I totally understand your preference to being alone to reflect.  There have been several years when I've been invited to join others for the holidays when it wasn't possible for me to celebrate with my own.  It has tended to make me feel worse instead of better and I've felt that I need to put on that happy face so I don't bring down the others.  It's been several years now since I've lost members of my family, some because they've moved across the country and others have died, which happens as we get older.  I make certain to have my favorite foods, so I don't feel deprived of those treats and I alternate between missing the old times, and being grateful that I can have the freedom to spend the day any way I want to.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

@pl49586880 wrote:

Sorry to be such a downer folks, just a sad year for me with all these deaths, I will get thru it I am sure!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL, ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!  PLEASE DO NOT let me bring you down!  I pray every day God will bring me up and he does every once in awhile, it does help, YAY! 

@pl49586880   -   Glad you felt you could post here & share what is truly on your mind. From your two posts at this topic sounds like you are working your way through your sorrow, pl.  That's what we each have to do, & sometimes it's a struggle.  You've got some definite plans in place for the next few days - good for you!  Hope your reflective time is meaningful & helpful to you on Thanksgiving, & hope you & your family will enjoy that big meal you are preparing on Saturday.  Smiley Happy   Pam

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

Sorry to be such a downer folks, just a sad year for me with all these deaths, I will get thru it I am sure!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL, ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!  PLEASE DO NOT let me bring you down!  I pray every day God will bring me up and he does every once in awhile, it does help, YAY! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

My children are busy,  one going to new wife's families and other going to new girlfriend's family.  I am alone tis year and truly I do not mind, my mom passed memorial day and my neighbor's mom passed in March and my neighbor came up with cancer unexpectedly for 3 months and passed of liver cancer and then I just got news my mom's aunt of 98 of age just passed on Sunday and they forgeot to tell my brother and I that her dtr. passed of a long standing cancer in Aug..   Sooooo needless to say it has been a rough year and spending Thankgiving alone is ok with me to reflect!  Sat. after I am cooking whole meal and taking to son's apt. to meat with both boys and wife and girlfriend to celebrate then anyway so we will be fine.  :womanhappy  even if not on the day.  I guess i will survive!  Neighbor's dtr. invited me over on the day but I do not wish to go, I would rather reflect cause they been thru way too many more deaths in their life than I.  I do not want to hear it!  Woman Sad

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18

From our house to yours!

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18

"...But in our lifetime we have seen that Friday shopping experience blown all out of proportion - it is ridiculous - so I can only commend you on your stance to "demote" the notion of Black Friday by not participating!....".

Yup. After I retired, I did a short stint working at a couple of big box stores doing morning stocking.  But it was all-hands-on-deck for Black Friday. Yeah, it was like piranha's and fresh food. I even witnessed some shouting matches. Other stores reported fist fights (in Chicago area, and those made the news). I didn't see that.

Since Thanksgiving is our holiday, with a bunch of people over, we start the house cleaning process all over again and usually go for a nice long walk in a conservation area or state park on that Friday, far away from the madding crowd (yes, it's 'madding'). 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

@gatorgorilla wrote:

Next Saturday is "Small Business Saturday".  I plan to shop at a nearby used bookstore, where I'll be sure to find at least one item that I'll be willing to buy.  

Yes, I fully agree with supporting-locally owned businesses year around!

Note: Some businesses like Ace and True Value hardware stores are locally owned. They are members of a warehousing group but the stores are locally owned and pay local taxes. They also support community events and youth programs.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

@DaveMcK  -  Thanks for sharing your plans, Dave.  Sounds like plenty of good company & food!  Hope you & Mary thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

DH is in retail, as I previously posted, so he will be at mall, in selling capacity, on Friday.  Otherwise he wouldn't go near a store all week, except maybe the grocery store.  Too much madness!

Guess for some folks shopping on Friday has always made sense, because they have the day off as part of a holiday weekend.  And some folks want to get some holiday shopping squared away on that day off.  But in our lifetime we have seen that Friday shopping experience blown all out of proportion - it is ridiculous - so I can only commend you on your stance to "demote" the notion of Black Friday by not participating!

Next Saturday is "Small Business Saturday".  I plan to shop at a nearby used bookstore, where I'll be sure to find at least one item that I'll be willing to buy.  

Kudos
Views