AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What 5 things some people do not have anymore!

Message 31 of 52

I still have CD's . Thank goodness the library still has the books on CD. I have the metal file cabinet, where else do you keep all your receipts and pakpers. Of course I still use my wall calendar or I wouldn't know where I was to be that day. Some things just don't go out of date. lol

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 52

It is fine to carry, transfer and store things electronically, of course, but critical documents and even some pictures should be kept in "old fashioned" paper format, including in file cabinets, safety deposit boxes and other old style places.

A likely scenario at some point in the future is that someone will deploy an ElectroMagnetic Pulse attack, in a large or a local area.  In these cases, anything (yes anything) with a chip is dead and can't be brought back.  Some forms of optical storage, such as CDs and magnetic storage, like tapes, can also be impacted, including having no working devices to play them on.  If you have your bank information, your credit card information, your deed, etc. alsi kept in paper form, you stand a lot better chance of getting through it.  If you think about all the ramifications, it is staggering.  

For a very well-written novel about it, try One Second After by William Fortschen.  

We also love our annual personally made calendars with family pictures and reminders.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 52

We still have a landline and phones In every room including the garages. File cabinet, more CD's than I can count. Wall calendar's-kitchen, basement, office.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 52

We have all 5 items and use them all the time.

the land line is the best way to get intouch with us.

I have a VCR/DVD player hooked up to the TV and we use it. I convert some of my tapes to DVD.

I have an antique wooden file cabninet that is full.

Our wall calender is where we write down all of the events that we are going to.

We also keep a couple of take out menu's for occassional use.

I have components for a sterio system with dual cassette deck, CD player, "8 Track Player", record player (33 & 45). I also have another record player that is an AM/FM radio, cassette player, a CD player/recorder and an auxilary input. our cars have cassete players or CD players.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 52

All of the above, plus a few cassettes and several VHS movies. The last downsize got rid of turntable 45's, and vinyl due to space. About half of the VHS collection was disposed of, and the cassettes were boxed to go out also, but haven't made it out of the garage (LOL). 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 52

I have all 5

and I make no apologeeeeeee

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 52

Still have the landline. My wife would not want to play with a cell: easier to just pick up the cordless - and corded - landline. PLUS: deleting the landlne would make my internet/TV/landline combo bill increase - even w/o the landline.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 52

We have a lifetime collection of CDs, DVDs, along with records and cassettes, a few favorite video tapes as well.  Hard to part with things you love and most of the CDs are folk music (not mass produced) favorites.  We also have wall calendars: one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom closet just for fun and a littel inspiration.  Like William Least Heat Moon's dinner ratings by number of calendars, I don't see any harm in them if they are tauting the beauties of nature or antique automobiles.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 52

Please be aware of the following using the bundled internet plans. Most new bundled plans use the internet for phone services - Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). I was supprised to find out too.

From FCC.gov: 

"Portable interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services can be used from virtually any Internet connection anywhere, which raises challenges for the emergency services community in determining the location from which a 911 call has originated.

You should be aware that:

• VoIP 911 calls may not connect to the PSAP, or may improperly ring to the administrative line of the PSAP, which may not be staffed after hours, or by trained 911 operators.
  • VoIP 911 calls may correctly connect to the PSAP, but not automatically transmit the user's phone number and/or location information.
  • VoIP customers may need to provide location or other information to their VoIP providers, and update this information if they change locations, for their VoIP 911 service to function properly.
  • VoIP service may not work during a power outage, or when the Internet connection fails or becomes overloaded."
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 52

Landlines  -  can get calls away from home on my cell  including the service personnel saying be there in an hour.  not trapped at home waiting for a call

Kudos
Views