Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Walking

Message 1 of 6

I have the same idea! It’s the easiest way to get started - you just need to stay true to yourself!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Well Margaret at least your walking is not boring  haha.  I walk up and down stairs almost all day, live in a 2 story house with a basement.  I decided I have to walk so many stairs that I could give up the treadmill for a while.  My mom requires almost constant attention and she stays upstairs most of the day. Some of the dogs stay in the basement for part of the day so I am up and down to take them out etc.  I live on a hill so I have to climb to the top of the hill to the garden and the chickens several times a day.  To take the trash down and get the mail I have to go down another fairly steep hill. 

I enjoy the motion, walking feels good most of the time.  If I put on weight (which I have done recently)  I feel it right away and walking does not feel as good.  I can hardly wait to shed a couple of pounds.

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

We have a fairly large dog and she is walked multiple times a day.

Our cheap Sunday entertainment, for decades now, is doing a two hour walk someplace within a 1.5 hour drive. We drive in all directions, to various towns, often bike paths or forest preserves, and walk for a couple of hours, year 'round. 

But, we've been into hiking for 40 years, so walking is simply an easy version of that.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

Mary is the walk here. She takes one long walk a day. She goes about 2 miles. If one of our daughters is here they could go 4 - 5 miles. I walk with her from time to time. I hear that a short walk after dinner in the evening is good for the digestion.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Hi Margaret,I think you know I'm a life long walker since I never felt comfortable behind the wheel.

I use to walk 8 blocks to work 3 days/week when I was working. Since I retired,I've made it a habit to take 3 walks a day depending on the weather. I do it like clockwork every day I take an early morning walk before breakfast  between 6:30 or 6:45,it motivates me to limber up my knees I'll go 2-3 blocks.

If I 'm home on any given day,I'll take a  mid morning longer walk which lasts 20-30min. After lunch&nap,I take my last walk for the day,usually around the block. I do try to change my route every day,yes I do walk in a straight line. I walk everywhere,if its too far for me to walk where I want to go e.g movie theatre,I take the bus..

Walking is the best exercise for you. I advise you to take it slow in the beginning,you don't want to overdo it on the first day. Once you get into a routine you may want to go farther each day. I have a couple of t shirts I wear when its warm,one says"Walk and Be Healthy",other "Walkers Take  It All in Strides". I look forward to hear how your walks go. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Walking

Message 6 of 6

Hey Everyone. Let me ask you something. Do you all go walking everyday? I haven't been but I'm starting to. I'm trying to anyway. Everybody's getting after me, telling me how good it to go on a daily walk. I never have been a walker but we shall see. Now, I have another question for you, are you able to walk a straight line, keep on one side of the sidewalk  or do you do as I do and that is, I'm all over the sidewalk. If anyone watched me they would swear that I had too much to drink. 

Kudos
Views
Replies