Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Conversationalist

Volunteering

I just signed up for someone to contact me with AARP experience corps. I would be tutoring young children. I am just going to wait and get more information. Is anyone else doing this? Have any advice? Thanks.

Kudos
Views
Replies
Trusted Social Butterfly

Community service has been part of my life since childhood.  My adult experiences have ranged from working with 'At Risk' teens to adult GED tutoring.  I'm not sure how you feel about animals @CarolynS674392 , but these days I volunteer at a local Animal Shelter.  Most of the residents are in need, and deserving of some TLC.  Sometimes take 'em for a walk, sometimes just sit with 'em in one of the Get Acquainted rooms.

...since I lost my sense of smell as a teenager I also help with some of the 'mucking' chores, but I'm sure your local shelter would be happy with any help you offer.

Honored Social Butterfly

My wife volunteers at our youngest daughter's school in her kindergarten class room. Mary does a lot of little things which allows Emma to have more time teaching her students.

If you want to volunteer I would suggest doing it locally

The first place I would suggest is at VA location or a local retirement center.

Reading to young kids at a local library or daycare center.

Check with an area Chamber of Commerce.or local AARP office

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) 12/25/22 Hi @CarolynS674392 , we miss you! Nicole ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I missed you too!  

Conversationalist

Hi Nicole and all.  I decided not to do the virtual volunteer tutoring as it was too demanding.  I need to have something, though, so it was so great when my 31 year-old piano student came for a lesson last evening.  He is so pleasant and enjoyable to teach.  I can tell he has been practicing quite a bit even though we haven't met for some weeks.  I had covid, he lost his father, and then the holidays.  I have have only the one student, but in the past I had about 30 students a week at a local music store and I worked there for 8 years.  I don't want that many now, of course, but one or two more could be nice.  Thanks for always thinking of me Nicole.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 comment ๐Ÿ‘‰(11/30/22) Hi @CarolynS674392, will it be "online" or in person? Thanks, Nicole 

Conversationalist

That was online and I decided against it.  But I am in the process of applying for some office work in a hospice program.  There is a background check, fingerprinting, TB test, references and just for 2-3 hours a week!  Oh well, I don't mind.  I used to do medical transcription before that became an obsolete job.  They will use my typing and proofreading skills.  And they sound really nice!

Conversationalist

I don't know. I told them I don't want to drive too far. It may be online, though.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP