What's a 'skimmer scam?' Find out on AARP Live. Watch at 10 p.m. ET.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: The Vintage Diner

Message 1 of 4

Red Robin Gourmet Burgers and Brews, or simply Red Robin, is an American chain of casual dining restaurants founded in September 1969 in SeattleWashington. In 1979, the first franchised Red Robin restaurant was opened in Yakima, Washington. Red Robin is now headquartered in Greenwood Village, Colorado, and, as of 2015, has 538 locations, including 499 that are company-owned and 99 that are franchise.

FB_IMG_1517345619328.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

We have one of those vintage diners right here in little old Hatboro, PA... Daddypop's It's small and very popular. A line forms out the door on weekend mornings. Good food and lots of it.

My late husband and I used to go there frequently. I haven't been there in ages though since it has steep steps and the parking in our little borough is limited. N.

Here's a link to Daddypops:

https://thebreakfastgrubguy.com/2016/08/16/daddypops-hatboro-pa/

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

I had two encounters with diners in my 20's. The first was in Stevens Point, WI were Mary and I met in college. I had an ill-fated plan for dinner before a Home Coming dance. So we ended up going to a diner in Point an other couple. We went in side to find that it had red checkered table clothes and diner decor. Once we were seated and saw the menu I felt better as it had great dinners on it. Also the waitress noticed we were dress for a dance and I explained my mistake. Also she saw how upset my friend's girl friend was with me. In the end the food was great and the staff treated us like honored guests. We have known Becky and Jerry for 55+ years. Becky has forgive me and the four of us are very close. 

My second encounter with a diner was much simpler. It was across the main road from Fort Monmouth, New Jersey and I ate there several times. I was at Monmouth for a year doing my advanced training in the Army Signal Corp. Mary joined me for my last 6 months there and we ate at the diner some. What is your experiences with diners or the corner local eateries.

Photo below was like the diner in Monmouth. 

blogdiner chinita909.jpg

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

The Vintage Diner

Message 4 of 4

Diner history and culture

What is a diner?

A true "diner" is a prefabricated structure built at an assembly site and transported to a permanent location for installation to serve prepared food. Webster's Dictionary defines a diner as "a restaurant in the shape of a railroad car." The word "diner" is a derivative of "dining car" and diner designs reflected the styling that manufacturers borrowed from railroad dining cars. A diner is usually outfitted with a counter, stools and a food preparation or service area along the back wall. Decommissioned railroad passenger cars and trolleys were often converted into diners by those who could not afford to purchase a new diner.

How Diners began?

The origins of the diner can be traced to Walter Scott, a part-time pressman and type compositor in Providence, Rhode Island. Around 1858 when Scott was 17 years old he supplemented his income by selling sandwiches and coffee from a basket to newspaper night workers and patrons of men's club rooms. By 1872 business became so lucrative that Scott quit his printing work and began to sell food at night from a horse-drawn covered express wagon parked outside the Providence Journal newspaper office. In doing so, Walter Scott unknowingly inspired the birth of what would become one of America's most recognized icons -- the diner.

240px-Summit_diner_1024x658.jpg

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies