AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Some Life Lessons

Message 1 of 12

May all God's children say Amen

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

Keep and open mind.  I always thought I was right about many things because they were right for me.  It has actually taken social media to open my eyes a bit because there is so much interaction with people outside my circle.  I've learned my circle naturally included people like me and that turns out to be very restrictive.  A few people who are willing to have civil discussions have changed my mind about a few things I've believed for most of my life.  I wish I'd grasped this when I was younger.

amcoffiebean
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Thank you to everyone writing replies. Let's keep this thing going. Let's share the wisdom and knowledge accumulated over a lifetime. Hopefully, someone may gain from the advice that is offered. It is not intended that everyone must follow these guidelines. It is always easier to benefit from other's experiences, avoid mistakes and not have to reinvent the wheel. Work smarter not harder.

Here are some more life lessons:

• the 5 P's (Proper - Planning - Prevents - Poor - Performance)
  • don't wait until you retire to travel and enjoy life, enjoy it as much as you can, within reason, along the way
  • nothing worthwhile is easy
  • don't be afraid to fail - everyone successful has experienced failure
  • "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing." - Henry Ford
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

If you can manage to do it, my advice is to take early retirement. The best decision I've made (other than marrying my wife of now 46+ years) was to retire from full-time corporate employment at age 56; no more dealing with office politics, no more endless and mindless corporate meetings, no more listening to a boss telling me what to do or that something has to be done right now, etc.  Now at 71+, I am happily self-employed, doing part-time consulting, earning a very good living, writing a few novels, trying out for Jeopardy every year, golfing, spending time with family, etc. My wife and I are throughly enjoying life. 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

Its not what you say, its how you say it. I've always believed this but could have done a better job practicing it when I was younger. It especially applies to constructive criticism. Make sure the person you are talking to feels like he learned something, not like he just got chewed out. 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

Never take a wooden nickel!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Be curious !! Learn to adjust to the needs surrounding you. Be well aware of what is happening around you. Socialize whenever you can. Listen well and pay attention to what your boss wants.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

listen more than you talk.then you know what you know plus what the other person knows too.

Don't believe anything you hear and only half what you see. Though in today's world that has a caveat too. Don't believe that either

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12
This is quite a microcosm guideline for life! Just one thing- I add chocolate to my steel cut oats along with a ripe banana! Thank you for the guidelines!
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

Do not hesitate to ask a potential spouse how much financial debt he/she is carrying BEFORE getting married. 

Kudos
Views