Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: So where are you from?

Message 1 of 35

very interesting to read everyone's story.  I have never taken the DNA kit as I don't want to find out all these years I have been wrong about my bloodlines.  I do know Mom's paternal grandparents came from Ireland, cousin on her mother's side went back 16 generations and roots in England and France, census records confirm Dad's maternal grandparents were from Poland and cousin on his dads side found records of ancestors coming from Prussia and Alsace with a little Irish mixed in, happy to keep this as it is, comfy with it and no desire to know any different.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 35
THANK YOU; WILL TRY
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 35
HOW WONDERFUL FOR YOU& YOUR DAD BOTH !
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 35
MY EX-HUSBAND MADE IT A POINT TO TELL ME HIS FAMILY NAME IS "AUSTRIAN-GERMAN." IT IS SUCH A DISTINCT NAME, IF YOU BEAR IT, WE'RE RELATED( BY MARRIAGE AT LEAST). BUT THAT IS ALL I LEARNED ABOUT THAT SIDE OF FAMILY. MY MAIDEN NAME IS THE UBIQUITOUS "LEE"- VERY COMMON SURNAME IN THE SOUTH & IN TEXAS. ON MOTHER'S SIDE WE ARE "THOMASES" OR "ROMINES". LAST TIME I DID A GENEOLOGY SEARCH, I FOUND ROMINES ACROSS THE COUNTRY. IT'S BEEN FAR MORE DIFFICULT TO LOCATE "GRIFFINS" OF NATIVE AMERICAN BLOOD IN NORTH & EAST TEXAS FROM THE LATE 1800'S.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 35
There are Facebook groups for all around the country. I found some help there on one of my lines. Gave me a really good story about one of my ancestors. Check it out. Just go to Groups and search for Genealogy and they should come up.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 35
Sounds like a very interesting ancestral search. I am related to a couple who went to the penal colony in Australia!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 35

I have done my DNA through Ancestry (came up with many questions) then MyHeritage and finally 23andMe. So based on all that I have found with my DNA: 

44.8% Irish/Scottish/Welsh

24.8% Scandinavian

23.3% English

5.9% N/W European

1.2% West Asian

An interesting thing that came out of the 23andMe DNA was that I have 312 Neanderthal variants!!! Original cave dweller - that's me!

So, what I really know about my family is that many in my genealogical searching came from Ireland, Scotland and England. My father's maternal line is German. I have traced his maternal line back to my 3X Great Grandparents (both male and female lines). My father's paternal line is English/Scottish. My maternal lines are English and Irish. Those lines I have traces back to the 15th century with a lord and lady mixed in there a couple of times.

I am still on the search, however, and enjoy seeing where my ancestors come from. Along with my searching, I am also interested in the kinds of food they ate. I know that we ate a lot of German food while I was growing up as my paternal grandmother was a key to that - she lived very close and that is the type of food that my father preferred.  So, I am not only searching for ancestors but also what they ate, what they wore and how they lived. I wish I could speak with some of them to find out why they emigrated to the USA and Canada.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 35

My relatives came from Deetroit.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 35

My history is different than most posting on here.  I was born in Albuquerque, NM, and most of my family was born in ABQ or NM.  My father's family we have traced to the 1640s, from a town called Cantillana, Spain, near Sevilla.  My ancestor Bartolomeo de Montoya went back and forth between Spain and Nuevo Mexico.  His son was the first one to stay in NM, in Santa Fe, and my family spread out from there.  I have found in my grandmother's line that I am Sephardic Jewish.  And because of that, I am able to obtain my Spanish citizenship, so I am working on that.  I am also part Native American, most likely Navajo because my father always said his grandmother was full-blooded Navajo.  In my DNA test, I found I am 39% Southern European (Spain, Italy and Greece),  26% Western and Central European, 16% Native American, 6% Eastern Asia, 4% Northern Africa, 2% Jewish, 2% Central Asia, and 2% Neanderthal (much to the surprise of my husband, who was sure I would be at least 20% Neanderthal!).  The Asian parts were a surprise, but obviously came from the Native American part.  The Northern Africa part is no surprise as the Moors ruled Spain for a long time.  

My mom's side is more of a mystery.  Her last name seems to have just appeared in the mid 1800s, so can't trace farther back than that.  But I will keep exploring both my grandfather's and my grandmother's sides.  I am fascinated by these records.  We were here long before the U.S. was founded, and we did Not come to the U.S., the U.S. came to us!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 35

AM ENJOYING THESE FASCINATING STORIES OF "OUR AMERICAN  ROOTS"- I TRACED PATERNAL -PATERNAL SIDE OF FAMILY BACK TO TWIN FUR TRADERS FROM OXFORD MISSISSIPPI THIS SIDE CLAIMED RELATIONS TO ROBERT E. LEE) - & PATERNAL-MATERNAL SIDE TO NATIVE AMERICAN CENSUS/EAST & NORTH TEXAS.  ON MATERNAL-MATERNAL SIDE-  GREAT-GRANDMOTHER LIVED HER ENTIRE LIFESPAN( 97-98 YEARS) IN SAME HOUSE IN HOPKINS COUNTY, TEXAS. GRANDFATHER'S SIDE TRACED BACK TO 16TH CENTURY  JAMESTOWN PENAL COLONY.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.