Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Return to Sunday dinner

Message 11 of 20
In Response to post:

I agree with you!  The older the better, especially the old stone houses around here, I just love them! I have always loved that era of elegance the Gibson girl hair styles and those styles of dresses they wore, very graceful looking.  I enjoy looking at fabrics of tapestry and laces of all kinds.  The old movies too, they have so much charm in them that is lacking today. Ramble on!  Good to hear!

THANK YOU !

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20
In Response to post:

HI!  YES, A B&B SURE  HAS  BEEN A LIFETIME DREAM........ I HAVE BEEN TO  SO MANY THROUGH THE YEARS AND THE THOUGHT OF AN OLD HISTORIC HOUSE  BEING TURNED IN TO A B&B WOULD SIMPLY BE WONDERFUL... JUST THE HISTORY OF THE HOUSE.. EVEN SAVING AN OLD HOUSE FROM BEING TORN DOWN.  IMAGINE, EVERYTIME YOU SEE AN OLD ABANDONED HOUSE, AT ONE TIME, SOME WOMAN LOVED THAT HOUSE, CHERISHED IT AND RAISED HER FAMILY THERE AND IT WAS FILED WITH SO MUCH LOVE.... IF I COULD SAVE ALL THE OLD BUILDINGS HEE HEE~~~ I WOULD....I LOVE EVERYTHING VICTORIAN/ EVERYTHING OLD...  AN AFTERNOON TEA WITH WITH SOME SWEETS YUM!!! .......... I LOVE THE  OLD WAY OF LIFE.  I LOVE OLD BLACK AND WHITE 1940'S MOVIES.... I KNOW I'M RAMBLING~~ OH, ALL I CAN SAY IS THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

I agree with you!  The older the better, especially the old stone houses around here, I just love them! I have always loved that era of elegance the Gibson girl hair styles and those styles of dresses they wore, very graceful looking.  I enjoy looking at fabrics of tapestry and laces of all kinds.  The old movies too, they have so much charm in them that is lacking today. Ramble on!  Good to hear!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20
In Response to post:

When I was a kid, I always looked forward to Sunday dinner,  yep..It was fried Chicken, mashed Potatoes, chicken gravy, fresh veggies, hot rolls, with butter, and Iced tea...I loved the smell of the chicken cooking, and couldnt wait for dinner..Then of course, the dessert was usually some of my dads homemade ice cream.....However when you get older, it looks like sunday dinner is now a Chinese buffet, or a all you can eat steak buffet...Wow, how times has changed.

Carol

OH HOW FUNNY YOU ARE~~~~~~ SO TRUE TOO, I AM GUILTY OF STEAK BUFFET ON SUNDAY~~~ I HAVE GOTTEN SO BAD ON HOLIDAYS WHEN I HAVE TO COOK I ORDER THE ENTIRE MEAL PREPARED FOR ME!!!! I LOVE THIS GROUP!!!!!!!!! TAKE CARE DARLENE

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20
In Response to post:

Yes, I know what you mean!  It is a big deal getting a group dinner together I can't imagine doing that every Sunday, must have been fun to see all the folks though in that way and catch up on the week's events.  We did have neighbors that grew up on farms and they would return to the family farm for Sunday dinners, as a kid I was invited along once or twice and saw the fun of playing on the farm with all the kids and then going in to sit with the family.  The table would be piled high with farm fresh produce and desserts.  I remember they had Johnny Cake and hoppin John those kinds of things, tomato relish with yellow and red tomatoes.

A B&B now that would be interesting!  So has that been a life long dream of yours to do that?

HI!  YES, A B&B SURE  HAS  BEEN A LIFETIME DREAM........ I HAVE BEEN TO  SO MANY THROUGH THE YEARS AND THE THOUGHT OF AN OLD HISTORIC HOUSE  BEING TURNED IN TO A B&B WOULD SIMPLY BE WONDERFUL... JUST THE HISTORY OF THE HOUSE.. EVEN SAVING AN OLD HOUSE FROM BEING TORN DOWN.  IMAGINE, EVERYTIME YOU SEE AN OLD ABANDONED HOUSE, AT ONE TIME, SOME WOMAN LOVED THAT HOUSE, CHERISHED IT AND RAISED HER FAMILY THERE AND IT WAS FILED WITH SO MUCH LOVE.... IF I COULD SAVE ALL THE OLD BUILDINGS HEE HEE~~~ I WOULD....I LOVE EVERYTHING VICTORIAN/ EVERYTHING OLD...  AN AFTERNOON TEA WITH WITH SOME SWEETS YUM!!! .......... I LOVE THE  OLD WAY OF LIFE.  I LOVE OLD BLACK AND WHITE 1940'S MOVIES.... I KNOW I'M RAMBLING~~ OH, ALL I CAN SAY IS THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20
In Response to post:

HA HA! SUNDAY DINNER~~~ FRIED CHICKEN!  WHAT A GREAT TOPIC~~~~ NOW A DAYS I'D SAY :  WHAT'S THAT???

THINKING BACK THOUGH, I REMEMBER AFTER CHURCH ON SUNDAYS SOMEONE ALWAYS CAME OVER FOR A VISIT AND US KIDS WOULD BE OUT PLAYING UNTIL IT WAS TIME FOR US TO HELP SET THE TABLE  WHILE THE ADULTS  SAT AROUND TALKING AND HAVING A COCKTAIL.   DINNER WAS ALWAYS AT THE SAME TIME AND IT WAS A" BIG DEAL" .............LIFE NOW IS IN SUCH A RUSH..........EVEN DINNER IS NOT A TIME TO SIT AROUND AND RELAX TALK ABOUT YOUR WEEK AND EVENTS LIKE IT USED TO BE.............WELL, NOT FOR ME OR ANYONE I KNOW THATS FOR SURE..........................SHAME ON ME. AS MUCH AS I'D LOVE TO HAVE A B&B AND I LOVE TO SIT HAVE HAVE A POT OF TEA WITH SOME SWEETS. WHY DOES DINNER  AND SETTING THE TABLE AND THINKING ABOUT ALL THE WORK PUTTING TOGETHER A BIG MEAL LET ALONE THINKING ABOUT THE DISHES  SOUND LIKE SO MUCH WORK???

Yes, I know what you mean!  It is a big deal getting a group dinner together I can't imagine doing that every Sunday, must have been fun to see all the folks though in that way and catch up on the week's events.  We did have neighbors that grew up on farms and they would return to the family farm for Sunday dinners, as a kid I was invited along once or twice and saw the fun of playing on the farm with all the kids and then going in to sit with the family.  The table would be piled high with farm fresh produce and desserts.  I remember they had Johnny Cake and hoppin John those kinds of things, tomato relish with yellow and red tomatoes.

A B&B now that would be interesting!  So has that been a life long dream of yours to do that?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20
In Response to post:

When I was a kid, I always looked forward to Sunday dinner,  yep..It was fried Chicken, mashed Potatoes, chicken gravy, fresh veggies, hot rolls, with butter, and Iced tea...I loved the smell of the chicken cooking, and couldnt wait for dinner..Then of course, the dessert was usually some of my dads homemade ice cream.....However when you get older, it looks like sunday dinner is now a Chinese buffet, or a all you can eat steak buffet...Wow, how times has changed.

Carol

Oooh yeah! Ummmm! That sounds good!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20
In Response to Return to Sunday dinner:

Return to Sunday dinner...or maybe you never left out this tradition in your family. What's your family favorite, fried chicken or chicken fried (ha! ha!)www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />

Carol

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20
In Response to Return to Sunday dinner:

Return to Sunday dinner...or maybe you never left out this tradition in your family. What's your family favorite, fried chicken or chicken fried (ha! ha!)www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />

HA HA! SUNDAY DINNER~~~ FRIED CHICKEN!  WHAT A GREAT TOPIC~~~~ NOW A DAYS I'D SAY :  WHAT'S THAT???

THINKING BACK THOUGH, I REMEMBER AFTER CHURCH ON SUNDAYS SOMEONE ALWAYS CAME OVER FOR A VISIT AND US KIDS WOULD BE OUT PLAYING UNTIL IT WAS TIME FOR US TO HELP SET THE TABLE  WHILE THE ADULTS  SAT AROUND TALKING AND HAVING A COCKTAIL.   DINNER WAS ALWAYS AT THE SAME TIME AND IT WAS A" BIG DEAL" .............LIFE NOW IS IN SUCH A RUSH..........EVEN DINNER IS NOT A TIME TO SIT AROUND AND RELAX TALK ABOUT YOUR WEEK AND EVENTS LIKE IT USED TO BE.............WELL, NOT FOR ME OR ANYONE I KNOW THATS FOR SURE..........................SHAME ON ME. AS MUCH AS I'D LOVE TO HAVE A B&B AND I LOVE TO SIT HAVE HAVE A POT OF TEA WITH SOME SWEETS. WHY DOES DINNER  AND SETTING THE TABLE AND THINKING ABOUT ALL THE WORK PUTTING TOGETHER A BIG MEAL LET ALONE THINKING ABOUT THE DISHES  SOUND LIKE SO MUCH WORK???

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Return to Sunday dinner

Message 19 of 20

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Return to Sunday dinner

Message 19 of 20

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.