Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Return to Sunday dinner - revisited

Message 1 of 20

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch! This was one of the first topics posts on the Front Porch back in 3/5/2009. This was one of the first groups I started to follow in 2009 when I joined AARP.

As to the topic we try to have some Sunday/Holiday dinners with one rule being no cell phones during dinner. These would include holiday family picnics. We had an Easter brunch this year at our house. How about others here on the Front Porch? Do you have some formal dinners during the year.

Check out the other replies from 2009.

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

re: Return to Sunday dinner

Message 2 of 20
In Response to post:

Pat,

Humm! Sounds interesting...hoppin' John. Never heard of such a thing. Tell me about that, would ya? I love this group too...it's fun!

Carolyn, hoppin john is a kind of dish that you can add what you like, but the basic ingredient is black eyed peas.  You can add onion, bits of crispy bacon, minced tomato, what ever you enjoy.  Johnny cake is like a corn bread that is made in a lead skillet.  You put all this food on the table like a smorgesbord of goodies.  Everybody brings a favorite dish when we have get to gethers, makes it interesting!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20
In Response to Return to Sunday dinner:

Return to Sunday dinner...or maybe you never left out this tradition in your family. What's your family favorite, fried chicken or chicken fried (ha! ha!)www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />

My mother alternated between fried chicken and a pot roast.  The fried chicken was always my favorite.  Every Saturday she baked pies for the Sunday dinner.  Sometimes  she would invite friends from church too.

PJ
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20
In Response to post:

Only my MOTHER-IN-LAW's Fried Chicken and we do not live in the same state so when I do get to have it, it is heaven - she makes killer sweet rolls too...www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif" />

I don't know...are cooks like your mother-in-law rare these days? I'm a good cook, when I cook. I have to be in the mood. And, too, I never go so far as to fry chicken or make gravy. That takes too long! Well, I guess I answered my own question. Some cooks just don't take the time!www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/sad_smile.gif" />

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

Return to Sunday dinner...or maybe you never left out this tradition in your family. What's your family favorite, fried chicken or chicken fried (ha! ha!)www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif" />

Only my MOTHER-IN-LAW's Fried Chicken and we do not live in the same state so when I do get to have it, it is heaven - she makes killer sweet rolls too...www.aarp.org/community/editor/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/thumbs_up.gif" />

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20
In Response to post:

My mother could have most of Sunday dinner prepared before we left for church.  Now I can hardly get up early enough to get to Sunday school  on time.  I don't know how she did it!

Our meal wasn't one thing in particular - whatever was in season.  When the baby chicks that we received in the mail every spring got old enough(all males were eaten unless we needed a new rooster), we had lots of fried chicken.  I can still picture all the steps necessary to butcher a chicken.

We did live on a farm so we had a large garden.  There was always lots of vegetables, fresh, frozen or canned.  Oh, and let's not forget the cornbread. 

Your description of farm life is divine. I'd loved to hear more!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

My mother could have most of Sunday dinner prepared before we left for church.  Now I can hardly get up early enough to get to Sunday school  on time.  I don't know how she did it!

Our meal wasn't one thing in particular - whatever was in season.  When the baby chicks that we received in the mail every spring got old enough(all males were eaten unless we needed a new rooster), we had lots of fried chicken.  I can still picture all the steps necessary to butcher a chicken.

We did live on a farm so we had a large garden.  There was always lots of vegetables, fresh, frozen or canned.  Oh, and let's not forget the cornbread. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20
In Response to post:

Yes, I know what you mean!  It is a big deal getting a group dinner together I can't imagine doing that every Sunday, must have been fun to see all the folks though in that way and catch up on the week's events.  We did have neighbors that grew up on farms and they would return to the family farm for Sunday dinners, as a kid I was invited along once or twice and saw the fun of playing on the farm with all the kids and then going in to sit with the family.  The table would be piled high with farm fresh produce and desserts.  I remember they had Johnny Cake and hoppin John those kinds of things, tomato relish with yellow and red tomatoes.

A B&B now that would be interesting!  So has that been a life long dream of yours to do that?

Pat,

Humm! Sounds interesting...hoppin' John. Never heard of such a thing. Tell me about that, would ya? I love this group too...it's fun!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Ours was always fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn or corn on the cob, hot rolls, and desert would be cake or pie. This was like a tradition in the family for years. Now that I am alone it's what ever I want to have...~ Media

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

When my granddaughter entered high school I realized that she would soon grow up and we would hardly know her because everyone was so busy.  My daughter and I got together and decided to make every fourth Sunday a family day.  We chose a Sunday when both our husbands were off (they worked shift work) and made it mandatory to be there.  We included my mother and took turns cooking (except Ma, who hated to cook).  It really worked.  It kept us informed about what was going on in each other's lives and has kept us close.  My husband and mother are both gone now.  Our dinners helped my granddaughter share in the deaths of both of them in a very active way.

The dinners were also the occasion for my daughter to experiment.  we ate some very strange things!  I think she was working her way through her cookbooks.

By the way... this a a great new group.  I'm happy to be with you all on the front porch.  Thanks.

Ellie

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.