AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Remember the boxes of washing detergent with glassware inside? RE-POSTED

Message 1 of 18

What I remember more than dishes or glasses in soap boxes was when they were giving them away with a fill-up at the gas station.  In those days the gas was selling for less than 30 cents a gallon.  I didn't get many of them because rarely had enough cash for a fill-up.  I drove a Corvair and lived 9 miles from where I worked.  It cost over $5 for me to fill up my tank and I usually only had enough cash for $2 or $3 of gas.  The service station was right around the corner from where I lived.

What I remember as a child was being in the grocery store with my mother and looking at all the patterns on the fabric bags of flour.  Mother said some people used the fabric for dresses.  She rarely bought flour in those bags because it held more flour than she normally used.  I think it was probably 10 pounds or more.  I remember she bought a bag one Christmas when we were planning on doing a lot of baking.  She let me pick out the bag because she was going to give it to me to use for making doll clothes.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 18

Oh thanks for this, I remember them too, and also my mom got towels sometimes in the box of soap, I think they were dish towels, and when I got older she said it really wasnt a good deal because they took up so much room there was hardly and detergent in the box....Haha. RIP my dear mother always strugggling to make ends meat for us kids, thanks for the funn memory, I do remember it was exciting for me to see wow we got a new towel, or glassSmiley Happy blessings to you all!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 18

I remember those glasses like it was yesterday. The dinner glasses were very popular when I was a child

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 18

Thank all of you who posted here,  you have solved a family mystery.  I have boxes of the items posted.  I was born in 1963, so I never considered that the items came in soap boxes.  I thought they where purchased with Green Stamps... .Nancy 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 18

15287261551997339129597714101274.jpg

These came out of Duz laundry detergent in the 60s.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 18

9-27-17

I remember as a child my Mom  getting the glasses or silverware in soap powder.

These memories take me back to my youth when Furniture or Jewerly Stores

gave sets of dishes or sets of glasses when purchasing Large items especially

Furniture. I also recall my Mom and her Friends collecting Green stamps. Mom and her friends exchanged stamps almost like a Club. They received many nice items for the house and even toys.

Gone are those days , but the memories are Fresh as yesterday. I wonder what our children and grandchildren will have for their memory. It is a new day and

I am happy for my cherish memories !!!Technology will help with their lasting 

Memories.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 18
i surely do remember them, thanks a lot for posting. i might have some questios for you, would you mind if i'm going to ask?and btw, those look gorgeous!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 18
you can go to Replacements, LTD
they have all kinds of dishes and will have prices if they have that piece available! Love this site. Enjoy!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 18

Does anyone know how much the Golden wheat dishes are worth today?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 18

I also remember that when I was a child flour came in fabric bags.  I guess it was 10 or 25-lb bags because there was enough fabric to make a child's simple dress.  We lived with my grandmother until I was 7 and the house was across the street from a grocery store.  Many times my mother and grandmother would make certain to buy the same kind of bag so there would be enough fabric to make a dress for both me and my little sister.  Later when we were learning to sew we were given the bags to practice on and make our doll clothes.

Kudos
Views