Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Paying to be a minimalist

Message 1 of 5

Just like all of you, I have stuff--a whole lot of "stuff!"  I have been the depository for all of my extended family members' belongings upon their deaths.  So I have things in my home, in the basement, in the garage, and even in a storage locker that all need sorting out.  Now, I've been sorting, throwing out, donating, and soon to sell much of their and my things either in a yard sale or by way of ebay.  But it is so much stuff that I find after I work a few days on it,  I have to take a break to recuperate and then head back to it later.  At least, I can never say I don't have anything to do or have feelings of being bored.  If nothing else, I can bring a box up from the basement, park myself in front of the TV with a cup of coffee (heavy on the cream and sweetner) and reminisce on days gone by and life with family members now gone and sorely missed.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Oh gosh, @DaveMcK, I think it gets worse the more interests one has, too. I have all the stuff for making lip balm; all the stuff for making candles, all the necessary stuff for home canning (lots of stuff!); stuff for fermenting foods; stuff for herbalism; stuff for raising chickens, fish and goats; stuff for harvesting fruit; stuff for birding, stuff and more stuff!

I have gotten rid of about 25% of my books,100% of my beekeeping equipment, 100% of my weaving equipment, car loads of unneeded items and boxes of clothing. At some point I'll break down and rent a dumpster. Smiley Happy

Epster, still working on that pre-retirement downsizing thing

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

We sure do have stuff!  Much of it is from our folks and kids. I have a big collection of tools and fishing equipment. Mary has a lot of cookware from her mother and my mother. We do thin things out by making yearly donations to Goodwill. Most of the things we have to thin out are found at most garage sales so the market for is saturated. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Hi @fishdoggy1  A life-long minimalist, I have long frequented garage sales, estate sales, flea markets and the like. I don't spend for new stuff when the older stuff (kitchen apparatus and hand tools, for example) are generally better made and already here.

I think of minimalism this way: I acquire what I need --whether that be new or vintage-- and ignore the rest. Also everything I acquire must have a place and a bonafide use. Otherwise, I don't need it. Smiley Happy

Which is why to date I have never had a cell phone. I can see the day coming when I will have a use for one, but until then ... nada.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Paying to be a minimalist

Message 5 of 5

Is it just my cheapskate nature or is buying new to become minimalist just more consumerism in another format. I looked at some articles and a little on the net about the movement and just getting rid of stuff makes more sense, you don't need to buy a book to do that. You can probably find articles on your phone or check out the book at the library, and that is one less item in the home. I have been retired a year last week and have sold a lot of stuff on e-bay and craigslist in that time. I sold some items that have been here for 30 years, and yes I may need it some day, but reality has to come into play at some point. I had visions of using some things when I retired that do not interest me at all now.

Kudos
Views
Replies