Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Passing Around the Virtual Hot Cocoa, How's Your Weather?

Message 1 of 20

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20

The Weather Channel is essentially a TV news channel about the weather.  As such it does contain elements of "entertainment" in it's broadcasts.  They apparently think naming winter storms eliminates confusion.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-storm-names-2015-2016

The National Weather Service and the National Hurricane Center are divisions of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) which is a US government agency.   They are not in favor of naming winter storms for what appears to be very sound reasons.

http://www.noaa.gov/wx.html

http://www.weather.gov/

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Wikipedia has a fairly thorough history/timeline of the Weather Channel.  There are lots of weather "geeks" out there who had an interest in keeping the concept alive.   I was aware of some of this through local interest.  TWC is in Atlanta...I am in the mid-Atlantic but weather affects air & sea traffic in military & civilian applications who have a major presence here.  NOAA has a significant presence here as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_The_Weather_Channel

I will say that the names have increased the number of spam-type emails I've received.  All sorts of businesses have attached the name "Jonas" in cute little references to hype whatever products or ideas they are pushing.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

They DON'T officially name snowstorms or blizzards; that's just something a local media outlet might do. Our own meteorologist specifically mentioned that yesterday; that some channel began referring to a storm by some name .. but it's not like the official names for hurricanes.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

@catwoman500 wrote:

Here in Hatboro, PA, n. w. suburbs of Philly, so far the power is hanging in there, but I’m literally “snowed in”…none of my doors can open against the snow and this is just getting started. We probably have at least 15” so far and apparently the worst is yet to come. I saw a municipal plow go by once. I may be in here until spring!

I had no idea they named blizzards. A friend emailed me yesterday to ask if I was ready for Jonas and French toast. I understood the French toast, but had no clue what she meant by Jonas! HA!

Keeping my fingers crossed we don’t lose power. The only reason I got out of bed on time was to get coffee before we lost power. Now I’m on my second cup. Cat Wink Nancy

Hi Nancy,the weather channel started naming snowstorms 2 yrs ago. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

It's still snowing here and the temperature's dropped a few more degrees.  The forecast calls for some flooding at high tide around 9 PM.  The wind is picking up again with sustained winds at 25-35 mph and gusting expected to be 50 mph...same as last night but without the rain.  It's blowing the powdery snow.  Icy conditions on the streets are expected to worsen overnight.  There's little traffic.  The snow is predicted to taper off by morning hours...probable accumulation only about 3 inches...nothing like some of you are experiencing.  It's the wind that's so torturous...icy little needles and the wind's enough to knock you down.  It really feels like a hurricane with snow.  Woman Surprised

Rocky went out to heed the call of nature and he couldn't get back inside fast enough.  He usually doesn't nap in his little bed...he prefers the furniture.  Woman Frustrated  A little while ago, he jumped into the bed and arranged himself and his blanket in a comfortable position and isn't moving!  Adrian follows me around but he knows the warmest spot in every room and makes a beeline for them...when I'm not up moving around, he prefers his warm little bed.

@catwoman500 ~ Nancy...I've had experience being "trapped inside" during and after a blizzard.  I'm glad you have provisions and are safe and warm!   @ASTRAEA ~ yes, tomorrow is soon enough to start clearing the snow.  Relax and enjoy your enforced break for now.  @loveabull ~ glad the Friskies were in the truck!  Sorry you had to brave the wind & snow!  Please everyone...don't take any chances!  Heart

Hot chocolate with  brandy sounds good right about now...good thing I'm not driving!  Woman LOL

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

Another Stone Harbor picture

Okay it's almost 7pm, time for the cocoa with double brandy!!! We were out of dry cat food. Well not out of it exactly, but it was snug inside hubby's truck. The cat's were perched and staring meaningfully. Got myself suited up and barely able to open the front door. YEHOOTS, even using a broom as a walking stick. Just down the steps, across the lawn, open the truck and lug the Friskies back in...I'm in good shape but it took everything I had to get back in the house.

Bless my son, he went out back and dug enough for the pups to get out. The girl just danced around. The boy stood there a good ten minutes. I'll be cleaning up after her tonight...stubborn beast.Cat Sad

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

Nothing going on in Colorado, supposed to get some snow tomorrow, but nothing like back east. That's really horrible,watching alot of it on CNN. Feel so sorry for everyone there, I know I would really be frightened to be in such a storm. Hope everyone stays safe.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

@catwoman500 - A friend posted a video of Stone Harbor on FB, so I saw how bad it was. Earlier, News12 was in Margate City, and the streets were flooded there too. When I lived in north Jersey & was researching locations along the shore where I'd like to move, I totally ruled out barrier islands, and anything too near the water. I can see the Manasquan River from my house, but my area is hilly & I'm 85' above sea level. It might be the last high ground near the shore, going south!

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

Downingtown...about 45 min. down the PA Turnpike (west) from me!

No one has been out on my street...the conditions are horrendous! A friend sent photos of her cousin's place in Stone Harbor...total flooding with ice chunks in it! Looked like roiling ice soup in the streets! N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

@catwoman500 - Small world; one of my cousin's kids lives in Downingtown, which is west of Philly, and he just posted a photo of himself with the snowblower .. and said it was 20". Also said he got another 3" after he cleared off.

Kudos
Views