Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

CLOSED - PLEASE USE SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER 

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. We had a strong Sunday morning storm to ring out the month of June on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that May - June are CLOSED now.

Nevertheless+I+Live_+June+Wrap+Up+&+July+Plans+by+A+Love+Worth+Living+For+Blog+&+Shop.jpeg61243547_643182779486681_2673156665431293952_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porchers!

I'm deliriously happy that the storms are over and happy that I woke to a temp of 66! WOW! It is still raining lightly, but what a delight to open the windows and suck in fresh 70 degree air. Our heat wave is over for this week and after today we'll have temps in the 80's with low humidity. No rain in sight until next week. We will go back to the 90's, but still keep the low humidity down the road.

Everyone was in good spirits at breakfast this AM...some even had rain jackets on.

No storm damage around here, but lots of power outages in the surrounding counties. I do have to try to get the chairs back on the deck after they blew into the pachysandra bed yesterday. Not sure if I can since that part of the deck has rotted and my plans for replacing the deck have been put on hold.

@LydiaN586309 ...so glad you have power again.

Glad everyone is doing OK considering all the problems that have popped up.

Hang in there!   N.

Purr-ingles!Purr-ingles!

Honored Social Butterfly

It was same thing here, @catwoman500 .  Walked out on deck this morning and got chilled!  Temps in the 60s!  Need to re-acclimate.  Woman Very Happy

Wonderful news, @LydiaN586309 . I bet you were doing your happy dance!  dance2.gif

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for rooster pouring coffee

Good morning, Porch Peepers!

While y'all are getting up for the day, I will soon be winging my way home to get some much needed shut-eye.  But I thought the rooster here, with our magic elixir, could help bring in the day.

Hope everybody is doing okay and the weather will be on it's best behavior.  As for me, the temperatures have been so low that I don't even need the air conditioning now that I have power.  But I'm not complaining.  Not one bit.  I'll take these milder days 'cause as we all know, summer is not over yet!  So

I'm doing my....

Related image

happy dance indeed @MsStretch.  I'm just glad to be on this side of God's green earth!

Anyway, Peepers, be good and be good to YOU!  Enjoy this day cuz tomorrow ain't promised.

Lydia

Recognized Social Butterfly

Lyndia,

Love the pictures. New Jersey is relying on her sister States for help after the storm. I have trucks from Virginia, working in my small community. These other States are really getting the job done. These crews, are working all night. United we Stand. I hope New Jersey pays it back. Anyway, I am bringing fans to a shelter . They look their aircondinor. Every little bit helps . Nancy

Greetings,

Yesterday was something straight out of the Wizard of Oz in New Jersey.  I was just walking 3 dogs and all of a sudden the wind started, rain . Tress were falling down, power lines down then all over. In a matter of 15 minutes it was over. Glad the power is back on Lyndia and you are safe. Glad everyone is safe. What a strange experience. Frozenoem thanks for all the great tips. By the way, anyone ever see a black chicken? I think one is in my yard. Nancy

@n566192l   Good to hear you are OK.   The cool weather blew in with a bit of wind yesterday.  Opened the windows last night and looks like we may be able to leave them open for a couple of days.  Only 38 days left till hope of serious relief from the heat. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita ...Love your autumn countdown. Now if we could have just spring and fall I'd be happy. I don't like the extremes although I'd be better with it being too hot rather than too cold. Cold hurts. Cat Sad N.

Honored Social Butterfly

76* and no oppressive humidity and improvement back to normal temperatures - I hope.

Might actually mow part of the back yard, for a change.

Now, JUst need to remain upright and mobile.

At least ai found my 30 pages of tests required, forgot where I had stuck the lists.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, All!

@n566192l ...that was really weird. NJ had quite a few problems during this weird weather. Did you hear about the "cold funnels" that were spotted in NJ yesterday? At least I think that's what the weather folks called them. They looked like mini tornadoes in the sky.

Yes, I have seen black chickens. Do you normally have chickens roaming in your yard or was this the result of the Oz-like wind. Did the chicken blow in? Cat LOL

I'm off to another breakfast in a few minutes. Everyone have a good day. N.

Where the heck am I?Where the heck am I?

Greetings,

No chickens normally anywhere around me, came in with the storm.  Thankfully, it has been removed , I was afraid the dogs might hurt the little guy. 

My neighbors are saying, there was a Micro Burst down the other street. We only have 2 streets in my community. Still cleaning up after.

I see that a seal was returned to the see after it had recovered. What a great thing

Honored Social Butterfly

So it is now the third day without power. No lights, no air conditioning, no refrigeration,  God forbid--NO INTERNET! 😢  Yesterday, spent the day moving all of my frozen and refrigerated food items to a friend's house.  Stayed away most of the day while I helped install an air conditioner at that friend's house.  Once that task was completed, we decided to take in a movie and dinner. By the time we finished the day, it was mighty late. I had the bright idea that we could drive to my house to check to see if the power was back on -- some 25 Miles away. So we drove all that way only to discover the power was still out. But by now it was close to midnight. Both being too tired  and the drive being too far  to return to  her neck of the woods, we opted to stay.  Having left behind all of our food, the newly-installed air conditioner at her house, we dined on McDonald's chicken McNuggets by candlelight. Which bodes the question:

Is McDonald's food "really" food?

Anyway, I'm going to put my cell phone in the car to charge.  Almost no juice left on phone.  Ok, phone just signaled it's about to shut off. Stay safe all good Front Porchers.

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for positive thought for a friday

Image result for positive thought for a friday

Be good to YOU, Porch Peeps!

Honored Social Butterfly

And it’s hot, finally got the A/C in window just in time for my first 90* day. Saturday and Sunday promise 100’s.

Hope you all enjoy the day, I’ll be hiding in a dark corner with ice packs. Only released a minor strings of expletives, ribs aren’t totally healed.

Only good points, C and I have A/C and now maybe rib will go where it should.🤣

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

@Frozenoem   Feel better Froze.  Do most people have AC in Maine?

This odd shaped  heat advisory has pretty much left us alone but we have the usual  July crummy weather.  It is not bad if you dont move around.  Will be 83 today but 80% humidity it requires AC and I hate going outside.  Would be better at the homestead, a degree or 2 cooler and the air fresher because of all the trees.   Humidity even higher there though. 

Honored Social Butterfly

96* and sunny now, humidity 58%, dew point 80. Means hotter than I like.

@LaDolceVita 

Southern Maine is the land of A/C permanently attached to house. All of those asphalt streets, malls, etc.

Rural Maine has a few but, we have forests (shouldn’t get heat waves) and mountains.

Portable 200 lb A/C or window unit, stuck in yesterday-an owwie.

Keeps house around 72*🤣

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

So far so good here. I've been staying inside mostly. Last night was our Chinese restaurant night and it wasn't too bad. But, last night was the first night I had to leave the bedroom windows closed. Cat Sad No birdies to wake me up this AM.

Right now at a little past 3PM it's 93 and feels like 102. It's been worse, so no problem yet. I did step outside to pick up an Amazon package from "Prime Day," and it really felt smothering.

Hope you all stay safe and well. N.

Bring on the cool!Bring on the cool!

Honored Social Butterfly

We do know the idea of staying inside, Chelli is behaving like it -35* , in and out faster than a bullet.

Don’t think she enjoys temperate any more than me🤣.

The little blighters are driving up from MA with care pkg.

Froze

Frozenoem,

Chelli is very smart. Today, is the

Annual Haskell , at Monmouth Park. I just hope all the horses and people are ok. It's hot in New Jersey today. 

Several, races in Sarasota Springs where cancelled yesterday. Also, some 5k.

Stay safe and cool. Please remember your pets and neighbors . Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

We haven't hit the triple digits today (not like last time I posted).  Nah, we have been hovering at a balmier 99° with heat index at a cooler 107° than 3 days ago.  However the Excessive Heat Watch rolled over into an ⚠ Excessive Heat Warning ⚠.

Let's face it, it's all hot and miserable.  As expected, most outdoor events were 86'd.  Most activity I've done today is run around and make sure all the outdoor fur kids' watering holes are refreshed -- kitty water dishes, hubcap.

Everyone, please stay indoors, cool, and hydrated.  Wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothes and know the signs of heat illness.

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Heat signsHeat signs

Unless it’s my recipe for chocolate fudge cake, forgot my readers again. 😎

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Big storm here yesterday. High winds and hard rain. No power. Ugh!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

Hope power is restored soon, @LydiaN586309.  Might be a excellent day for going elsewhere for awhile... somewhere with AC.

No water here.  Leak in underground line.  Water was turned off to property to keep the (well) pump from burning up.  Good news is they found it right away close to main house although they are working under about 3' headspace of deck.  They're off to Lowe's for assorted replacement pipe, parts, etc.  That was a godsend, because today is no day to be digging -- already in high 90s.  Earlier we were able to turn the water on & off at wellhouse as needed to fill jugs, etc. and my first concern was making sure the furkids' watering holes were full, the hell with flushing the toilet.  Woman Very Happy

@MsStretch wrote:

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

Hope power is restored soon, @LydiaN586309.  Might be a excellent day for going elsewhere for awhile... somewhere with AC.

No water here.  Leak in underground line.  Water was turned off to property to keep the (well) pump from burning up.  Good news is they found it right away close to main house although they are working under about 3' headspace of deck.  They're off to Lowe's for assorted replacement pipe, parts, etc.  That was a godsend, because today is no day to be digging -- already in high 90s.  Earlier we were able to turn the water on & off at wellhouse as needed to fill jugs, etc. and my first concern was making sure the furkids' watering holes were full, the hell with flushing the toilet.  Woman Very Happy

@MsStretch    We vacationed in the US Virgin Islands a life time ago, when we were still able to take vacations.  One of the restaurants had a sign in their bathroom  "In this land of fun and sun we never flush for #1".  I thought that was hilarious. 

Yeah, well problems are no fun.  I have had them on the weekend and that is double no fun.  @LydiaN586309  Opted to sleep in a hot house and ate McDonald's?  Tough cookie.  I ate enough McDonald's in my life before I decided it is not really food, it was my favorite food binge when cramming for exams. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Walmart has handy dandy power packs for charging phones, 10,000 mah (charges 5-6 times) and rechargeable - cost $15.

Great for when house power disappears for days on end. I have several and a couple will charge laptops.

Thankfully back to normal temperatures today for me , awoke to 66* , now at 76* humidity is still up though but, not sweltering.🤣

Gourmet eating at McD’s Nah, I think I’m a Burger King fan. Might be because McD is 30 minutes, BK is 2 hours away.

Good coffee but, rest of menu, no comment.😇

@MsStretch 

Keep the furkids hydrated and you also.

I get to attempt the removal of high grass along fence line today, ought to be joyous.Or won’t happen purely debatable.

@n566192l 

Can’t pm, remember the tough decision comment from phone call it’s now happening.Ex will have house guest for 2-6 months.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Went outside this morning and it felt downright wonderful.  Weather app still said it was 90°, but with all the trees and a breeze too, life was a 'beach'.

@LydiaN586309, definitely sounds like life is a B word for you, too.  @Frozenoem has good suggestion about those handy-dandy power packs.  They are the bomb.  Portable, so good for recharging on the go.

@LaDolceVita, that V.I. sign is funny, until it becomes reality.

Furkids are staying hydrated and I've been dumping ice in their watering holes too.  Not that it lasts long.  (Gee, and just think I was running around chipping OUT the ice and thawing out their water not that many months ago.)

Water line was fixed pretty quickly yesterday.  Lucky they found it close to main house.  That would have been some hellatious digging between well house and main house and my little house.  Neighbor was telling me he had to open crawl space under their house and he was leaving it open to dry out ground, but he told me he would make sure I did a kitty head count before closing it up.  Later, sure enough, orphan boy Armani shows up with telltale mud paws and cob webs in his whiskers.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy(?) Monday, Porch Peeps,

With everyones' troubles lately, it doesn't seem like a happy Monday.

@LydiaN586309 ...your power problem seems horrendous. Sure hope it gets fixed ASAP.

I know I'd be a real complainer which would accomplish nothing.

@MsStretch ..I had that breeze this AM on my way to the post office. It's still 88, feeling like 95, but at least it's not the triple digits we've been feeling. Storms on their way through tomorrow it looks like.

@LydiaN586309 , @Frozenoem , @LaDolceVita ...Casting my vote for fast food not being real food, but it has to do in a pinch sometimes. Cat LOL Even salads at some of those places are "iffy." And now (this is such a joke) Burger King is offering a taco! Bad enough to get one at Taco Bell, but this has to be like the bargain basement of tacos. Cat Tongue

The only fast food I enjoy is Starbucks of course for my beverages and the pizza place in my little town; family owned, not a franchise.

So, stay safe and well this week. Don't eat too much fast food!  Cat WinkN.

Monday coffee.jpg

Enjoy a purrpsicle!Enjoy a purrpsicle!

We are waiting for a cool down to take place sometime on Tuesday.  Night temps will be in the low 60s, with humidity in the 50s.  Almost Camelot.   Looks like this may last 4 days before we return to normal.  Muggy and awarm right now but we did get a nice downpour  so I cannot really complain. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Afternoon all, was 89* at login 5 minutes ago, presently 72* had showers come in and cool off happened.

Might actully complete some chores before it heats up again, with luck.

Presently full sun again and time to change temp on A/C to around 76*, temps become bearable when few degrees colder than actual outside.

Weird now it’s 85* gotta get out of here, to many changes with 15 minutes.

Enjoy your day

Froze

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l 

Just had my first oh yeah moment, as 10 rallye cars just sped bye again.

No traffic up here until then.

http://www.newenglandforestrally.com/spectators-guide/

And pn that cheery note its back to A/C and Gravity the movie😎.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch on this mixed up weather day! We had rain, wind and thunder storms starting at 3:00 AM and ending around noon. Given this our golf league was rained out. Given this  I am putting together some golf trivia and memes.

• Lighting Strike: What should you do if your round of golf is interrupted by a lightning storm? Walk around holding your 1-iron above your head, because even Mother Nature can’t hit a 1-iron.
  • What else are doctors good at besides there occupation: Where can you find 100 doctors all at the same place on any given day?  A golf course!!"
  • Did you know this About Scottish People: Do you know why there are 18 holes on a golf course? Because that's how long it took the Scotts who invented the game to finish their bottle of whiskey!

Scottish golfers drink whiskey

• Marriage Made with a Long Putt : You spend too much time thinking about golf! Do you even remember the day we got married? Of course I do! It was the same day I sank that 45-foot putt.

• The fisherman: What is the difference between a golfer and a fisherman? When a golfer lies, he doesn’t have to bring anything home to prove it.
  • A classic: Why do golfers always carry a spare pair of trousers with them? In case they get a hole in one.  
  • The Rider: After they went into the locker room, another golfer who had heard the old guys talking about their game went to the pro and said, "I've been playing golf for a long time and thought I knew all the terminology of the game, but what's a rider? The pro said, "A rider is when you hit the ball far enough to actually get in the golf cart and ride to it."
  •  

Will and Guy's Top 10 Golf Caddy Jokes

1. Golfer: Think I'm going to drown myself in the lake.
    Caddy: Think you can keep your head down that long?
  2. Golfer: I'd move heaven and earth to break 100 on this course.
    Caddy: Try heaven, you've already moved most of the earth.Funny Golf Caddy Jokes
  3. Golfer: Do you think I can get there with a 5 iron?
    Caddy: Eventually.
  4. Golfer: You've got to be the worst caddy in the world.
    Caddy: I don't think so sir. That would be too much of a coincidence.
  5. Golfer: Please stop checking your watch all the time. It's too much of a distraction.
    Caddy: It's not a watch - it's a compass.
  6. Golfer: How do you like my game?
    Caddy: Very good sir, but personally, I prefer golf.
  7. Golfer: Do you think it's a sin to play on Sunday?
    Caddy: The way you play, sir, it's a sin on any day.
  8. Golfer: This is the worst course I've ever played on.
    Caddy: This isn't the golf course. We left that an hour ago.
  9. Golfer: That can't be my ball, it's too old.
    Caddy: It's been a long time since we teed off, sir.
  10. Golfer: Do you think my game is improving?
    Caddy: "Yes sir, you miss the ball much closer now.HBlogonew3.jpgI-Open-A-New-Box-Of-Balls-Funny-Golf-Meme.jpggolfing-rain.jpegGettyImages-484500416-1-1024x768.jpgGettyImages-481317804-1-1024x768.jpgHow-to-Play-Golf-in-the-Rain.jpgFunny-Golf-Warning-Picture.jpgFunny-Golf-Safety-Board.jpg
Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP