Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

Morning Roll Call - July and August 2019 CLOSED

CLOSED - PLEASE USE SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER 

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. We had a strong Sunday morning storm to ring out the month of June on the Front Porch! Welcome to July 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that May - June are CLOSED now.

Nevertheless+I+Live_+June+Wrap+Up+&+July+Plans+by+A+Love+Worth+Living+For+Blog+&+Shop.jpeg61243547_643182779486681_2673156665431293952_n.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

WISH WE COULD DELETE DUPLICATE POSTS!

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch on this Tuesday morning in July 2019.

We have been away for several days and the WIFI did not work well wth my tablet. We were at a conference for chin china collectors. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch on this Tuesday morning in July 2019.

We are looking at temps at around 90* and around 70% humidity for a while.

We have been away for several days and the WIFI did not work well with my tablet. We were at a conference for china collectors. Whether you are a collector, dealer, student, or historian ... if you have an interest in any of the now-collectible wares that were produced by the Homer Laughlin China Company, the Homer Laughlin China Collectors Association is for you! Formed in the summer of 1998 as an all-volunteer, member-operated organization, HLCCAis dedicated to providing a serious educational forum and communication tool for all those who are interested in the important contribution that HLC has made to American culture, from 1873 to the present. HLCCA is a non-profit organization, with IRS Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Our membership is drawn primarily from the United States and Canada, but we welcome international members as well. We conduct an annual Conference during which we offer seminars, workshops, multi-media presentations, auctions, exhibits, and other opportunities to share and exchange information about HLC products. The Dish, the official publication of HLCCA, is a quarterly magazine that contains a wealth of information on topics relevant to anyone interested in HLCCA.

We purchased several item, received some items as prizes and Homer Laughlin provided several gifts for the banquet dinner. 

61518091_2188978007889122_2012885746674827264_n.jpgBanquet room before openingBanquet room before openingOur table, Green Pitcher was a drawing item I wonOur table, Green Pitcher was a drawing item I wonMy place setting of gift itemMy place setting of gift item1943 commemorative pitcher of president first airplane1943 commemorative pitcher of president first airplaneOne of the two nightly auctions of items in the foregroundOne of the two nightly auctions of items in the foreground66645937_10214494448899643_6911861698034925568_o.jpgSome of the gift items on the left sideSome of the gift items on the left side

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, Everybody!

Summer's in full bloom and I am in my element indeed.  Free vitamin D, free Arizona room temps outside every day, and when I need a taste of winter, on goes the air conditioner.  Viola!  Hope everyone is doing okay today and even better tomorrow.  Today I'm tackling a huge garage cleanout--from the walls to the rafters.  Everything must GO!  Rented a dumpster and all. So I've got my day planned and am on my way to it!  Enjoy your day Porchers and Be Blessed!

Lydia

Recognized Social Butterfly

OK a bit more cheery today especially after reading the posts here.  Yesterday we had 100 degree heat index so my misery is easily justified!  I had a nice lunch with my travel buddy and we have a few fun times planned.  We do not go far but there is still interesting new things in northern Ga that I have not seen or even heard of. 

@LydiaN586309   I did not realize you were out west.  North or south AZ?

Honored Social Butterfly

Related image

Good morning to Everyone on Our Front Porch!

After working in the garage yesterday for about five and a half hours, the dumpster is now full and ready for pick up and the garage is (for all intents and purposes) empty.  Yippee!  There was over fifty years of accumulated stuff and junk of various family members who deposited and forever forgotten.  The only things of value (sentimental) I found was an old cookie jar I remember sticking my itty bitty kiddie hand in many, many moons ago, an original Kool Aide pitcher (don't know how it survived in all of the mess), and an old Twin Pines Milky the Clown milk bottle.  I don't know if anybody out there grew up  with Milky, but he was a morning TV favorite in our house and Twin Pines milk was the best--delivered to our house by the Twin Pines truck every few days in thick glass bottles and on occasion we'd order the Twin Pines ice crream too. Those were the days and fond memories.

A cousin who now lives in Tennessee had asked me to save any of his "action dolls" I happened upon.  Well, I found a box and a bag full of his "dolls", but they were in pieces.  Most of them had missing limbs--not just "a" limb, but all limbs torn off and left.  Looks like somebody went on a rampage one day and the dolls took the brunt of it.  Anyway, I moved the debris field that was his dolls and other like toys into one box.  May ship them to him, but after I describe to him via phone what I found, I doubt he'll want them.  But then again, you never know.

I took a total of three showers yesterday.  The first shower was to loosen up the bones and muscles before I went into the garage.  The second one was after I finished the job in the garage--to get the dirty and grime off before I laid down for my brief late afternoon nap.  And the third shower was to help my then and now aching body and invigorate myself before heading into work.  Yep, after doing 5.5 hours in the garage, I'm just now finishing up a twelve hour shift at work.  But believe me, when I get outta here, I'm making a beeline for home--snapping on the electric blanket and sliding these bruised and abused joints in the cocoon-like warmth of my bed.  Ohhhh!  I can hardly wait!

@LaDolceVita !  Good morning!

Oh, no, no, no!  Let me clarify. I do not live in Arizona.  Only referred to it as our temps have been touching on Arizonia-like temperatures as of late.  I'm a Michigander born, bred, and still remain!  

Anyway, I've babbled on enough, good Peeps. Image result for be blessed images Be blessed each and every one and have a great day!

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Be grateful for not living working in AZ, spent 4 months in summer there once.

120* days and 90-100* nights, felt like I had died and went to an inhospitable place. Went from 70* Boston to 120* Phoenix and Tempe. Not pleasant!

So offer hope for cleaning a 25x50โ€™ garage for a poor Mainer, a mere 5.5 hours including rafters. 

Presently a comfy 72* in Maine with rain coming in for afternoon thunderstorms.

Enjoy all 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon!

It's all clouded up right now...Storms supposedly "a'comin!"

Knock on wood that I've been able to push the AC up every night so it won't go on when I open my bedroom windows. I really enjoy the birds chirping in the AM and the sweet smells of trees and gardens. Hate being closed up like winter.

I've also been able to sneak out onto the porch in my nightshirt to have my coffee the last 2 mornings. Today the lawn guys pulled up and I had to make a fast retreat (at least as fast as my poor legs could go) into the house.

Lately I've been noticing the overabundance of fireflies around here this summer. It's like a convention!

Have a fun day!

Enjoy!Enjoy!

Honored Social Butterfly

75* and sunshine in Maine.

Trying to delay the inevitable stagger with Chell.

Spent the last half hour busting Fake Dell support for Neighbor.

I think I now can call day quits.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!

I really really hate this weather.  It does not sound bad 86 for a high but combined with 70% humidity it feels pretty awful.  No coolness as you step out the door even at 6AM.  49 more days to go before relief will be in sight.

@Frozenoem  Feel better soon.  @catwoman500 I can easily picture your retreat.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita , I'm sorry the hot weather is not to your liking or tolerance.  Hope the temps go down a bit for you.  As for me, it is HOT--yes!  But the warmth seems to help my aching bones and the sun just elevates my overall mood.  So like I may have said before, I am in my element as summer is my favorite time of year!

@Frozenoem , hope the staggers aren't too troublesome today.  Hope you feel better.  Glad my garage excavation is now done.   But I've got another big outdoor project looming this week.  Yippee!  Of course you know I'm being sarcastic. Smile.

@catwoman500 , please send me some of your fireflies.  Very rarely get to see any here.  But I have seem 'em in the past and they are so light and lovely.  Just like a night light with wings.

Image result for pic of fireflies

Be well all and be good to you!

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Guess weโ€™ll be heading back weather-wise into the HHHโ€™s this week. So far this summer Iโ€™ve been able to do the open bedroom windows at night thing, but have a feeling that wonโ€™t be possible this coming week.

After my trip to the grocery store this AM, I had my coffee and breakfast on the porch. It was a little steamy out there, but I know I wonโ€™t be able to frequent the porch much this week, so wanted to enjoy while I can. Wondering if I can have my wine out there this evening??? @LaDolceVita ...I hear you about the ugliness of the humidity. Cat Frustrated

Missing the pool, but oh, so grateful I donโ€™t have to do the work. Plus with the bad storms weโ€™ve had, it would have been such a mess to handle. Another good thing was my electric bill! HA! Havenโ€™t seen it that low for years!

One negative thing so far this summer is my Ebay sales slump. Guessing all the doll people are on vacation. Oh, wellโ€ฆthatโ€™s fickle Ebay for you.

Enjoy the coming week!

A little ice would be nice!A little ice would be nice!

Honored Social Butterfly

HHH in VA, too.  How about spending it at the bottom of a rock quarry?!  Whew!

Got to go on a cool (figuratively, definitely not literally) adventure yesterday to a rock quarry in Culpeper, VA to see dinosaur tracks!  Some people might think it's geeky, but I was absolutely fascinated!  It is a operational quarry, but once a year it is open to a limited number of visitors and a friend scored a car pass so off we went to ooh & aah.

Tracks of a dinosaur from the Triassic Age.  Probably a Theropod, a meat-eater.Tracks of a dinosaur from the Triassic Age. Probably a Theropod, a meat-eater.

Close-up of a track that has been sprayed with water to see clearer.Close-up of a track that has been sprayed with water to see clearer.

At the location in the quarryAt the location in the quarry

MsStretch,

What a great post. Glad you got to go. Nancy.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All. Happy Monday!

Could be our last day of low humidity. Today is nicer than yesterday All my windows are open right now. This is such a bonus, but we are going to pay dearly later this week.

@MsStretch ...what a unique experience you had in the quarry!

I thought I said, "sweet and low."I thought I said, "sweet and low."

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for beautiful coffee sayings

Yassssss, Porch Peeps!

That's me this morning.  Just trying to get it together after a long day of yardwork yesterday and a long shift at work last night (sixteen hours).  Feelin' kinda droopy and just a little bit poopy.  So I'm counting on coffee (being the elixir to solve all things) to help get ME back in order.  Slurp.

SLURP, SLURP, GULP!!!

I haven't been outside yet, but folks coming into work this morning tell me it is already hot and very humid outside.  Sticky.  These are the days I thank God for air conditioning!Image result for cartoon image  of someone being blown by fan

Anyway, I hope all is well with each and everyone one on Our Front Porch.  Stay cool as much as possible.  But don't forget to step outside to get some of that free Vitamin D!

Viva La Summer!!!

Lydia

Honored Social Butterfly

65* and comfy for the moment, here comes the humidity and 80โ€™s starting tonight.

Chelli seems aware that this may be my day, for answers sheโ€™s beneath my chair. She wonโ€™t be going to the asphalt jungle.๐Ÿ‘

A36BE0A8-E9CD-4B43-9538-AA59507E514A.jpeg

Need beverage cold pressed, long road trip today.

Froze

@Frozenoem  Your feet are certainly dressed for a long hard day.  Your day?  At the doctor perhaps?

Miserably hot here I must say.  Three days coming about 90 degrees for high then back to mid to high 80s.   Could be worse.  46 more days Woman Sad.

Honored Social Butterfly

75^ and the clouds are coming in thick, with rain.

@LaDolceVita 

Results from last batch of tests, nah not what thought. And still might be -wtf.

More tests scheduled, another 6-8 weeks of waiting on results.

Iโ€™ll be throwing a string of expletives over in the corner for awhile.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

Guess yesterday was the last "morning coffee on the porch" day for me for a while. I was all ready, but when I opened the door today and got hit with a blast of "sauna," I retreated back inside.

And this is only the begining of one of the longest heat waves in years for this area. UGH!

91 right now at 1:00, and the "feels like" temp is 100. They are predicting "fees like" temps up to 120 as the week goes into the weekend with Saturday being the worst day. YIKES!

Sooooo glad I don't have the pool to worry about. The sun and heat are killers on the chlorine and a pool can turn green in an hour! Patting myself on the back for making that decision this year.

So you all hang in there and take it easy. HYDRATE!!!!! N.We're havin' a heat wave!We're havin' a heat wave!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 ,

Here's a couple of other animals who know what to do to stay cool:

Image result for cooling off picture

Piglet says, "Ohhhh, this feels so good!"  I bet it does.

Boxer found the next best thing to snow and made it his bed.

Look at that smile on his face!  A truly happy big, big baby!

Be safe Porch Peepers. Stay cool, drink lotza water and other cold fluids, and stay out of the sun.

Honored Social Butterfly

Sitting on deck and decided to check my weather app.

0E0BF2A1-1B96-4189-ADF5-4005B2C4E9CA.jpeg

Yep, itโ€™s HOT. ๐Ÿฅต

Kudos
Views

@MsStretch  I did not know it was that hot in Va!   I guess I should stop complaining about Ga heat.  We have not seen 100 here for several years. Back in 2011 or 2012 we did hit 106 one day. Even the basement was hot with ceiling fans going. 

@catwoman500   I do feel for you.  @Frozenoem  6-8 weeks to wait for results is miserably long.   Seems like this has lasted close to a year!

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@MsStretch  I did not know it was that hot in Va!   I guess I should stop complaining about Ga heat.  We have not seen 100 here for several years. Back in 2011 or 2012 we did hit 106 one day. Even the basement was hot with ceiling fans going. 

VA is suffering from the current heat wave scorching the central and eastern U.S..

An โš  Excessive Heat Watch โš  has been issued for this area until 9 PM on Sunday. No plans for any invigorating outdoor adventures this weekend.  Indeed, I was just reading about some outdoor events and activities may be canceled due to the heat wave.

Honored Social Butterfly

Presently 76* actual in Maine, not to worry weโ€™ll be getting the 100โ€™s this weekend. 

When thatโ€™s promised for Rangeley area itโ€™s a Foxtrot moment. Figure if it gets to hot Iโ€™ll go to Mt. Washington For a cold down.

@LaDolceVita 

Itโ€™ll be a year in August, Iโ€™m thrilled. Admit it was easier to bundle up and work at -65* than breathing while hot.

@MsStretch 

I remember jungle breathing high temps, HHH in Cumberland Gap and camping off Skyline Drive? The only ones in our hikers moving fast were the dogs, frigging hot.

Think Iโ€™ll have to succumb to Summer and actually put the big A/C in the Window today. All the insulation in my old house is fine to a point, anything above 98* you just canโ€™t sleep comfortably..

It becomes as joyous as staying warm at -20* with oil heat alone.

Mint Juleps to all๐Ÿคฃ.

Froze

@LydiaN586309  Impressive clutter clean out.  Good for you.  52 more  days of summer left.  We usually get a bit cooler around September 1st.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this 9th day of July! Yesterday was a great day to be on the golf course. We did well and the weather was great for golfing. 

On Sunday we went to Milwaukee for a pontoon boat ride on the Milwaukee river with our family. Our 3 daughter's brought the fixings for a picnic on the boat. The weather again was great and sunny so we had to apply sunscreen a couple of times over the 4 hour trip. 

Have a great day everyone. 

b740b37967c1204b45a3c4782381c604.gifFB_IMG_1514430548104.jpgMilwaukeePierhead_Lhouse_large.jpg12186529_1653945211548773_4268326679935794678_o.jpgfind-yourself.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Porch Peeps!

@Frozenoem ...Melting hanger! Yikes! Reminds me of when the candles on my mantle used to bend over before we had AC.

@LaDolceVita ...We are headed for more HHH days after a wonderful afternoon yesterday after the rain left the area. No humidity and that delightfully refreshing air. No AC needed yesterday or last night. I still have all the windows open for now.

@DaveMcK ...Your boat ride sounds lovely. Pontoons are fun!

Lawn guys came yesterday in the rain to clear my jungle. Sure wish they would do it more often so it doesn't get so overgrown, but they seem to have their own way of doing things. At least now I can see the street when I sit on the porch! Cat LOL

Have a great day, all! N.

Porch Purr-chPorch Purr-ch

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this 5th day of July and second day of the 4th of July weekend! This would have been the perfect weekend to have when I was still working. 

Still hot and humid for a few more days. Mary was back from her daily walk by 9:00. Hoping everyone has a great rest o the weekend. 

65535277_2389732191064277_1423935414158229504_n.jpgb740b37967c1204b45a3c4782381c604.gifFB_IMG_1550937259964.jpgFB_IMG_1552661984049.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Everyone,

Ditto on the hot and humid. We did get away without any thunder boomers yesterday, but of course there were plently of other boomers! Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

I don't think we'll be as lucky today. It's overcast right now and when the sun comes out it will create the perfect conditions for thunderstorms.

Enjoy your weekend! N.

Can I come out now? Are the firworks over?Can I come out now? Are the firworks over?

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

91* in the mountains - HHH - Hazy Hot and Humid with a breeze.

One more attempt at A/C happiness, Windows tag at night even with 60* lows no longer make it.๐Ÿคฃ

Enjoy all

Froze

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP