Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Morning Roll Call! SEPTEMBER -OCTOBER

Message 151 of 193

Edge of seat, watching
for news updates, distractions
now relief, concern.

We’ve no TV,
so most hype is lost on us.
Still, gut wrenching storm.

We’re in for clouds and
mild sun. Lovely weather here.
Nature is unfair.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 152 of 193

This Irma situation is not good. I just hope everyone did enough to prepare, shelter, or evacuate.

Ya'll in the South, stay safe now, hear?

You are all in my prayers!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 153 of 193

I'll admit to a bit of apprehension regarding Irma heading in our direction.  Since it changed course from the east coast of Florida to the West coast, it's heading directly to Macon, GA.  We are being assured that by the time it reaches us it will be down to "Tropical Depression" classification and we will just have lots of rain and wind.  We've had that before.  We also had had our city flooded 24 years ago during another "Tropical Depression" when we were without water for 6 weeks and power for almost a week.  We are assured this one is fast moving, unlike the earlier one, but that does little for my PTSD.

My heart goes out to all of those so affected by Irma and Harvey just a week ago.  I'm hoping as of Tuesday morning I'll feel very stupid for having worried so much.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 154 of 193

Prayers for FL,
for all souls in Irma’s path.
Pray and pray again.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 155 of 193

@JoyaDe Cool design on those medals, huh? I heart Mt Rushmore.

We smelled a backyard BBQ Thursday evening (and had to restrain the thought of crashing the backyard party .... oooophf that smelled good!) But Sioux Falls had been just above the patch of uggy air for days, and then the air cleared up along our route and stayed clear, so we were just plain lucky. Locals spoke of how Monday morning the sky was a dull yellow color, but the early events started on Wednesday and were held inside, so that was lucky, too. Yay!

And hey, thanks for sharing my joy! Smiley Happy 9 medals so far this year, with 2 races left.

We took part in a study about if and how senior games participation improves health outlook. It should be interesting to read the results. I imagine the quantifications will be astonishing, for the 80 year olds are kicking butt out there! Smiley Happy Such inspiration. Man alive. 

Hoping your air is okey-dokey, and that your innards have settled down.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 156 of 193

@Epster  Wow oh Wow!  Good goin' Good showin'   Nice batch of bling there.   You two are going to have to have a trophy wall, unless, of course, you already have one going.  Did the smoke from any of the nearby fires cause any problems?

So glad to hear those good results.....how many more games now on the agenda?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 157 of 193

Looking at a great day for yard work but we are watching UW Madison on TV. We live close enough to hear the crowd 10 blocks awy. They are getting more of a game from Florida Atlantic than they were expecting. Half time score UW 24 - FAU 14.

Below is a video of a big UW tradition : Wisconsin's Jump Around vs. Ohio State 2016

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/video-wisconsin-s-jump-around-vs-ohio-state/yout...

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 158 of 193

Well it was certainly lovely to drive up to South Dakota to compete in the Senior Games Friday. A lovely drive through Nebraska's rolling plains and woowee so that's what clean air feels like! Ahhhhhhhh!

We both won 3 gold medals (one in each of our events) but even better than that was the fact that we got to speak at length with a fellow and his wife who are Colorado natives living in SD (DH and the gent swapped family history: both from Colorado pioneer stock); a fellow who travels all over the US to race in Senior Games cycling events who gave us the low down on all the races (golden!); a great group of pickleball players who didn't place but had the best time and tried over lunch to draft DH and me into their team; and a couple who entered tons of events (swimming, track and field, cycling) and as of yesterday afternoon had over 25 medals. They have gone to Nationals a number of times and were a deep well of both inspiration and information. (BTW, I beat her time in two of the cycling events. We raced in different divisions, though, so we both got gold.)

As I like to say about the Senior Games: the medals are fun, but the people are the absolute best!

Came home to cleaner air and a forecast of 88F today and tomorrow. We got in at 6AM, so I reckon we will take a siesta and miss the day's high point.

Back to add this: AARP South Dakota gave out water bottles. (Thanks!) And there was a free physical from a group of physical therapists who performed 8 tests aimed at telling you where you stand relative to Nationals qualified senior athletes. (I'm skinnier, a far faster walker, have better vitals, but a slightly weaker hand grip and am not quite up to snuff when it comes to standing on one foot with my eyes closed ... huh? ... than most Nationals qualified senior athletes.)

And a photo of the bling:

SD 6 goldsJPG resized.jpg

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 159 of 193

@Frozenoem  That is so funny that you mention Univac. I was working there from 1966 to 1968 and building the control panels for mainframes. Later during my work there, I built test equipment and did test floor repairs on the mainframes. It was kinda fun. I quit to have my youngest son. He will be 49 in a few days.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 160 of 193

It's a lovely 67* in Maine mountains, and the velociraptor allowed me to sleep until 8:30 am.

With on poop surprises, no pee surprises but, a definite surprise in slightly chewed goretex hiking boot.

Kinda happy last night before sleep I put my telephoto's in the other room, she had been sniffing the camera bag.

Lfe is an adventure with this pup. Two more weeks before I'm allowed to put foot on ground - frak.

Froze

Kudos
Views