Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Morning Roll Call! SEPTEMBER -OCTOBER

Message 161 of 193

@Frozenoem  Lots of firewood in your picture.  I imagine DS would have lots of fun rearranging that stack!  My rock star dog, Tessie loves to move branches too.  

I cannot say enough good things about our weather.  Cool at nite, warm during the day, just perfect!!   The hurricane will be coming our direction after it gets through w/ Florida.  Main thing to worry about is the tornadoes.  

Today is my catch up  on the chores day.  We will see how much I can get done.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 162 of 193

69* to sun finally, maybe the new crop of black flies will expire mid week😎.

@JoyaDe

If you're used to Win 7 then 10 will be a snap.

Just remember Windows Key + X, for all happiness in settings.

Win+X, Settings, Updates and Security. You might be doing a few.

Computers since 1968, first Computer Univac and PDP-10 and teletype, laptop TI Silent 700 60lb's running UNIX on Compuserve or ARPANet, no hd's for them unless you count 128k bubble memory.

First disk?? Drive - cassette and 8 floppy disc. I think that makes me mature😄.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 163 of 193

@Frozenoem I don't do as much in the tech area as I used to. Way back in 1985 when I bought my first computer, it didn't even have a hard drive. It had 2 floppy's that I had to swap back and forth. The next ones had a hard drive but so little memory, I had to double it the first week. I was operating in DOS for a long time, and was so pleased when I discoved DOS Shell. So now, with the computer i have on order will be Windows 10. I'm not sure how that will be, but I do use it for a limited amount of things at the Senior Center. It's been a very long while since I've had to learn a new operating system. When I was doing support, it seemed like we were learning a new system or a new component that would be going in to a system every 3 months. As tech's we had to know how  to swap them out, reformat a clients hard drive, and remove the ghost drivers...

It used to be fun back then.... but hey, that was a very long time ago.  One of the fun things I did do back in 2012 was to take a Digital Forensics Workshop through the Western New Mexico Univ. Police Academy.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 164 of 193

Thought I was one of the few builders/tech's on board since 2002-3?

Try a tiny tweak in opposite direction, some have locktite, just to annoy🙄.

Still build and prefer my own laptops/desktops/Raids. But, for all else my heart kinda still belongs to Lenovo Thinkpads😎.

Although at last count I have everything from 3.11, OS/2 Warp-10 , running on 10 laptops IBM, Lenovo and mine.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 165 of 193

@Frozenoem  Thanks, my computer is an HP laptop, and the problem is the screws that hold the plastic panel in place that covers the fan. I worked as a techsupport person for HP back in 2000/2001. Before it was all sent to India. I have the teeny tiny screw drivers necessary, but the screws don't want to release, and I really am about ready for a new laptop. My other 3 are towers, with 4 other operating systems and this one, with Windows 7 has been really good. One of my towers has two hard drives in it. They don't get much use nowadays, since I don't do a lot "friends only" tech support any more.  I do appreciate your offer. It's nice to know that people are around and willing to offer help.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 166 of 193

Ah the joy of AARP, correct errors- none and you get double post anyways.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 167 of 193

60* and rainy, and where's the dog.

@JoyaDe

Helps to access the hard drive of old computer, to transfer pix, doc's, etc.

What make and model # is it, generally found on back or side of Tower.

Have pretty much every Hardware Maintenance Manual for everything made in pc and Apples.

Some towers are like opening an old Chevy on some HP/Compaq's where you need to release a catch on the bottom front to lift up a panel, and then remove screws for cover😎.

If you can crack the case, you might be able to blow it out. Or remove Hard drive of old pc and place in external hard drive case to transfer.

Or I usually just use a Apricomm Drivewire costs maybe $10-15 bucks for either.

Or if space allows, just put the other drive in new pc.

For Windows to Windows transfer it helps if both computers work so, the transfer cable can do its magic.

To keep everyone happy so, I don't hihack the thread, you could give me the make and model # in private message, and I'll see how to crack your case.

@Epster

Not so much an escape as a desire not to have her 🐺 Called coyote and shot for eating small fur balls.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 168 of 193

@DaveMcK@Frozenoem@Epster  I'm sneezing but not sure if it's fire related or not. My heart goes out to those getting the smoke filled air and clouded atmosphere. 

I'm trying not to be on here too long with the fan not working properly.  I have ordered a new computer. I'm not sure why the screws on the back of this one will not come out. I usually fix things myself also.  I would like to move the stuff from this one onto a new computer.

Anyhow, next issue. I put in a firestick yesterday on the TV in my office area., I'm not sure if any of you have used one of these, but there are lots of apps, that I was told I would have for free. It's the downloading them that is free. Whoppee.  If you want to watch anything, after your free 1 week trial, you will be charged for it. Oh, and you're supposed to put in all your credit card info ahead of time. To make it easy for them to continue your subscription when you forget to cancel it. Nope, not going to do that.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 169 of 193

@Frozenoem Escapes me why that's an issue, but oh well. (jk: good grief she's a strong lass, your DS. May come in handy come wood cutting time, eh?)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 170 of 193

@JoyaDe

15 seconds to shut down  usually means CPU cooler is toast/dying or thermal Paste is crispy. $5 parts, 1/2 hour labor.

Im frugal one of the reason I fix the fanged things.

@Epster

Keeps the feral cats out, and the overactive DS in. She dragged an 6 tree around 30 feet.IMG_1267.JPGFetch!

Froze

Kudos
Views