Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to September 2019 Goodbye August. 

Hoping everyone has a great Labor Day Weekend. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500  , the AARP site has caused me all sorts of grief.  I finally started using the Firefox browser just for AARP, since AARP would not play nice with my default, Opera.  (Also would not work well with Opera Touch on iPhone.)  But I still constantly get  'A script on the page is slowing you down. Stop script or wait?' pop-up.  Very frustrating. 

Of course, still using older computer with 7, so things were starting to bog down anyway.  Now that new computer has arrived, we shall see what happens. 

Perhaps switching to different browser?

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Script errors are usually a plea to update your version of JavaScript , depending upon your flavor of Windows 7,8,10,?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/308260/how-to-troubleshoot-script-errors-in-internet-explor...

Aarp in all it’s infinite wisdom still uses it for game and on most of site.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Friday of September!

We had a great Labor day weekend with our family at our Timeshare at Grand Geneva resort in the Lake Geneva area Wisconsin. We had our three daughters and two of there husbands.

Our youngest daughter Emma will be getting married to her fiance Andrew on September 15th. 

My son-in-law Dean and I took out Andrew golfing for a bachelor party Sunday morning. When we finished golf we had a cookout with additional family members.

We had nice weather so Mary and our oldet daughter were able to get out walking. Dean and Janice went for a couple of long bike rides while others went to the gym or the pool.

This has been a great place to go for a long weekend before the daughters go back to their teaching jobs on Tuesday. Mary and I stayed an extra day to go out for our 53rd anniversary dinner. 

Dean and JaniceDean and JaniceAndrew Dean DaveAndrew Dean Dave68348380_10158312815993273_4447793949062463488_o.jpgView from our deckView from our deckOur buildingOur building59837824_10158059739683273_666722457851265024_o.jpgMain Lodge and golf courseMain Lodge and golf courseSunset over golf courseSunset over golf courseMain gateMain gateJanice Mary Emma MichelleJanice Mary Emma MichelleOur familyOur family

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Wednesday of September 2019. I'm hoping everyone is safe and well! 

When major hurricanes, tornadoes and other devastating storms strike the U.S., volunteers become a key component of Operation Blessing’s and other groups like the Red  Cross bring disaster relief efforts. From serving hot meals and handing out bags of relief to helping residents salvage precious belongings and aiding in debris removal and cleanup, OBI volunteers are critical to bringing relief in real time! 

Operation Blessing’s U.S. Disaster Relief Team has been monitoring Hurricane Dorian very closely. This monster storm has been upgraded to a Category 5 hurricane threatening the southern East Coast of the U.S. Coastal residents are bracing for powerful winds, heavy rain, flash flooding, and storm surge. Several of our southern states have declared a state of emergency.

Our advanced team has already deployed with truckloads of food, supplies, equipment, and a shower trailer. They will continue communicating with various local and state emergency officials, church partners, and threatened communities as we prepare for the potential impacts of the storm. 

There are many other groups that offer help to victims of natural disasters like Dorian.

EDdatxfWwAA0wvm.jpegdownload.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for fireworks animated

Good morning, Porch Peepers!

Image result for labor day images

Front Porchers, whatever you do today to acknowledge or celebrate this special day, the main thing is to enjoy it!  As a refresher, below find some information to remember about this very important day.

History of Labor Day

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Labor Day 2019

On September 2, 2019, the U.S. Department of Labor celebrates and honors the greatest worker in the world – the American worker. Labor Day 2019 is the 125th anniversary of Labor Day beingcelebrated as a national holiday.

Labor Day: What it Means 

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

Image result for labor day marches

Labor Day Legislation

The first governmental recognition came through municipal ordinances passed in 1885 and 1886. From these, a movement developed to secure state legislation. The first state bill was introduced into the New York legislature, but the first to become law was passed by Oregon on February 21, 1887. During 1887, four more states – Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York – created the Labor Day holiday by legislative enactment. By the end of the decade Connecticut, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania had followed suit. By 1894, 23 more states had adopted the holiday, and on June 28, 1894, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.

Founder of Labor Day

More than a century after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.

Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a co-founder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."

But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picnic.

The First Labor Day

The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The Central Labor Union held its second Labor Day holiday just a year later, on September 5, 1883.

By 1894, 23 more states had adopted the holiday, and on June 28, 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed a law making the first Monday in September of each year a national holiday.

A Nationwide Holiday

Women's Auxiliary Typographical UnionThe form that the observance and celebration of Labor Day should take was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday — a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations" of the community, followed by a festival for the recreation and amusement of the workers and their families. This became the pattern for the celebrations of Labor Day. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civic significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.

The character of the Labor Day celebration has changed in recent years, especially in large industrial centers where mass displays and huge parades have proved a problem. This change, however, is more a shift in emphasis and medium of expression. Labor Day addresses by leading union officials, industrialists, educators, clerics, and government officials are given wide coverage in newspapers, radio, and television.

The vital force of labor added materially to the highest standard of living and the greatest production the world has ever known and has brought us closer to the realization of our traditional ideals of economic and political democracy. It is appropriate, therefore, that the nation pays tribute on Labor Day to the creator of so much of the nation's strength, freedom, and leadership – the American worker.

Remember to look for the union label and that classic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7VUklDlQw

Image result for the union label

Related image

Image result for the union label

Image result for uaw label

Image result for labor day images

Recognized Social Butterfly

Its September!  Yes!   Getting ready for cool mornings, no more bugs, turtle necks.   Its the most wonderful time of the year in the southeast. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good morning, everyone!

Happy Labor Day!

It's pouring right now. Thunderstorms are going through and they intend on visiting all day. Forecast said this afternoon through the night, but ater I had my coffee and breakfast on the porch, I pulled all the chairs right up to the table, away from the screens and am glad I did since the storms arrived way early. Cat Sad

Hoping it takes a break so I can get to the restaurant relatively dry this afternoon. The game night girls are meeting for burgers just so  if anyone asks, we can all say we did something Labor Day weekend. Cat LOL

Woke up to the news which is so depressing...another shooting, devasting hurricane, etc. Geeze!

Hope you all stay safe! N.

That can never happen!That can never happen!

Sounds like a plan!Sounds like a plan!

Monday coffee.jpg

Trusted Social Butterfly

PS...I keep forgetting to mention the Slinky!

I LOVED my Slinky. Walking it down the steps was such fun. How dopey that we seemed to be able to do that endlessly. Guess we didn't have the attention span of a flea and expect to be gratified at every blink of something digital. I'm glad I was a child of the 50's.

My Slinky was metal. The last time I even saw one it was plastic. Yikes! Guessing the metal was deemed too "dangerous." Or maybe it got too expensive to make.  N.

Yep, this was just like mine down to the box!Yep, this was just like mine down to the box!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Porch Peeps,

The neighborhood seems quiet this morning as the schools around here start today. Seems like it was just yesterday when I had to head back to the classroom, but I have been retired since 2005! I miss teaching, but it's so nice to sleep in and not have to think about all that anymore.

I watched a mom walk her daughter down the street toward the elementary school and I was curious about what the girl was wearing. She had on what appeared to be shorts in the front with this long flowing train attached at the waist that touched the ground in the back. Thinking it was not very practical for school and hoping that the long flowing part could be detached for recess or she might end up getting it wrapped around her somehow. Yikes! Cat LOL

Oh well...guess I'm not into what's trendy with the younger set.

At least I can have more coffee! N.

Get those brains in gear!Get those brains in gear!

Go get 'em, kids!Go get 'em, kids!

Greetings,

Beautiful day here. I know the feeling Catwoman, I was a Special Ed Teacher for years. Then, I ran group homes before my accident back in 2002. 

The Food not Bombs crew made it to Florida. Just glad their trip went well and no problems. We sent 2 tractor trailers full of supplies. I just hope everyone is safe and  Hurricane Dorian. just goes out to sea. Our group is loading up more trailers to be sent. Plus, we sent bottled water and supplies to Newark. Glad I got involved with this group after my daughter went to Rutgers University. 

I see that the Farmers almanac, is saying that this year will be colder than last year.

Frozen, please let me know what you need or want. If I have will send. 

Take care of yourself and your family 🙏 . Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m late, I know. 71* and sunny working up the nerve to remove Air conditioner from window.

Think it will be cool for a long time, no color change yet though at least up here.

@n566192l 

I’ll get back to you tomorrow, less than pleasant night/day/?

Made it to bed @ 5am, not made for late nights any longer.

The little darlings started school up here last week, just in case of snow days this winter.

Ex went back on 22nd , the joy of teachers.

Time to play with snowblower, needs tuneup and being picked up later this week. Would prefer NOT to pickup 650 lb’s again.

Gotta go, 

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Just ran across this hurricane hero story.  Chella Phillips, who lives in Nassau, took 97 dogs into her home to save them from Dorian.  Here is the CNN story and here is her FB post.  Brings tears to my eyes.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, schools around here started 2 weeks ago.  It was strange seeing the school buses out in force in mid-August.  I believe one of the reasons is to compensate for the average number of snow days to keep the school year from extending well into summer.

@n566192l, I have vague recollections of costumes with grand feathered headdresses parading down the boardwalk.  It was fascinating and such an awesome sight to us kids.  I tried to do a quick cursory search for info, but couldn't find anything other than recent Mummers parades in Philadelphia.  I will have to go deeper.  I am sure my father had pictures (he was always taking pictures and movies), but unfortunately, those photo archives are in the possession of my brother in NC.

MsStretch,

Wow, thanks for sharing your post about the dogs. I will never complain again about having extra 🐕 over here. What a great person. 

Dave, you are so right about volunteering. People helping people, is a good thing.

Just sending out boxes. Trying to coordinate the donations for areas affected by Dorian.

Just be safe 🙏

Honored Social Butterfly

Hello, Front Porchers!

I wanted to post this greeting much earlier, but I knew Dave would be setting up this new thread.  So I waited til now. 

Anyway, 

to one and all here!  I know a coupla weeks ago, I felt the first evidences of fall coming.  And now it begins in earnest.  Cooler temperatures and later dawns.  The vibrant green leaves in some of the trees are slowing giving way to yellow and orange and soon brown.  But as much as I anticipated the arrival of Spring and reveled in the throes of Summer, I am just as pleased to see the advent of Fall--mainly because I'm still here and I am happy that creation is still making itself evident as we slowly move into another season; what I like to call "the season of rest."

Early morning coffee will sometimes yield to hot, hot chocolate with marshmellows or whipped cream...Whipped Cream GIF - Trollhunters Cocoa WhippedCream GIFs

Hot Chocolate GIF

Ummmmmm. Yum!!!  (Oh, please ignore the snow in the pic above.  I don't mean to imply anything at all by it.)  I just like hot chocolate in the colder months.

Anyway, everybody please, please stay snug, and warm, and above all stay safe!  Enjoy this season as much as you have the others gone by....

Image result for happy september

Find some leaves.....

Image result for happy september

and jump right in!  And above all, have a .......

Be well!

Lydia

Lydia,

Just wanted to let you know how much I love ❤️💕😍 your pictures, your quotes, and stories. Just Great 👍

Just overcast and 73 in my area.

MsStretch, I don't know about the Mummers in Asbury Park. However, there's a King Neptune parade. I haven't been able to go yet, but I have to Google to put date in my calendar for next year. 

Some of the volunteers from Food not Bombs went to Florida to bring supplies. . I am staying in Eatontown this trip.  But, I did have some items for the trip. Plus, my friends helped me straighten out the unit at Fort Monmouth.. I really appreciate their help. I may have to ask for help on a weekly basis and I will.

Please enjoy your day and be safe 🙏.       Nancy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP