Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! SEPTEMBER- OCTOBER CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to September 2019 Goodbye August. 

Hoping everyone has a great Labor Day Weekend. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Nice before first cup of coffee @

54*, got a call purportedly? from Microsoft about my subscription I hung up, scammers are at it again.

Personally with coffee in my system I’d be yanking there chain but, no coffee it won’t happen.

Will check Robotic call number later, if number registered on caller ID. 

** Yep, on edit appears on nomorobo.com as scam out of Louisiana.

http://nomorobo.com/lookup/985-221-7045

Don’t think I’ll call them back. I know what my service from M$ costs the $350 would be cheap.

Now that that’s out of the way, time to play in garage - after next cup of coffee.

Enjoy all

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening, Front Porch Peepers!

I know it's late, but this is the first time in a long time that I have actually been able to login into the AARP site and message board.  But I'm still out here...kickin' and screamin' and spittin' and slobberin'. 

Me?  I've been working on my "fall" cleaning; working in the garage and trying to sort out and organize stuff in the basement.  In fact, I've been driving around town with a huge garbage bag full of clothes for the Salvation Army donation box.  Just haven't been by one lately.  By the time I do get to the box, I just might have another bag to add to the one I already have packed.    Anyway, my intentions were good and I know this week will be the week....

Today has been a day of mixed weather.  This morning it was so hot, I could hardly breath when I first opened the door to do yardwork.  It was so hot in fact, I decided not to mow and spent a few hours cleaaning out some boxes of storage in the garage.  I got a lot done and without too much sweat.

After the great heat of the morning came thunder and a heavy downpour in the late afternoon.  I slept through much of it.  As a matter of fact, as I remember, the thunder was the last sound I heard as I drifted off to sleep for my afternoon nap.

Anyway, I hope everyone on Our Front Porch is well and doing well.  Until next time.

Caio.

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good morning, Porch Peeps,

It's sunny for now but we are expecting thunderstorms later this afternoon.

A friend is up from Texas and I'm meeting her for lunch. I will take my umbrella just in case.

We had a thunderstorm around 3:30 this AM. It woke me up long enough to close the windows partially. As of now, windows are still open...hoping it's not as hot and humid as yesterday. Tomorrow it's only supposed to be in the 70's. What a roller coaster! Of course the grass guys arrived at 8:00 to cut the wet grass. I'll never understand that.

All the tech stuff you guys talk about just has me at the end of the runway watching the planes fly overhead. I don't even know how to switch browsers! Actually I'm afraid to do anything to the computer for fear it will screw something up. Still having the long running scripts thing on this website page/topic only. I have to fiddle around until I can finally arrive and post.

Seems odd that I have the games back and the ability to post photos back and now this happens. It has to be AARP since I have no trouble elsewhere.

Have an enjoyable day! N.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309 

Welcome back.

@catwoman500 

Kinda fearless with computers first job / class was ‘68 - yeesh! 

Think I’ve been around them too long🤣.

The good news is everyone starts out nervous with the darned things.I was with first build - In 1970 maybe.

Be Happy Windows 10 is forgiving, earlier operating systems not so much. Haven’t had blue or black screen in years.

And most times when ‘puters get confused now, just a reboot and prayer fixes them.🤣

To change browsers, download a new one. And just use it, I have 6-8 on my computer/laptops and phone.

If you really like the new browser, just keep using it.

I use one for most work, others for different sites.

58* and sunny hope to mow, soon. After coffee and food.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks @Frozenoem for the "welcome back!"

And @catwoman500 just know you're not the only one with fears of messing too much with the computer.  I tinker here and there with it when it gives me trouble (and it does that quite a bit).  But I do so with great intrepidation--thinking my next move may shut me down for good.  My hope is when I get my brand new computer, I will no longer have to tackle with connectivity and the like.  One can only hope!

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309, I do the same thing, ride around with a bag of clothes to donate.  It seems when you need a donation box, you can't find one.  Do the same with a bag of plastic bags for dumping off at grocery store bins.  Use my own bags, but it is amazing what comes wrapped in plastic.  My paper bags I buy for scooping the litter box comes wrapped in plastic!  Our single stream recycling does not accept plastic bags; those must be separate.

Yep, @Frozenoem is right.  Windows is very forgiving these days.  I haven't caused any major meltdowns yet and I've been, shall we say, 'adventurous' at times.  Now sometimes those 'adventurous forays' may have caused something unexpected, but no ⚠ FATAL ERROR ⚠ yet (*knocking on wood*). Woman Wink

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

@LydiaN586309 

Luckily we get pick ups in Maine for donations👍 Haven’t seen a box in decades.

Have beads, oak desk, holy water and bibles just in case of possessions of unruly computers. Yeah, ashamed to admit but some clergy have assumed their computers were possessed and speaking in tongues - no names or sects shall be mentioned.😇

*First exorcism performed in 1990 on Win3.0, it was a virus and the operating system, read in code.

And if your “New Windows 10” didn’t come with a re-installation of repair disk , make one to CYA.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/install-windows-from-a-usb-fla...

And if you now are blessed with uefi, read or view this.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support%3Famp

Nope, haven’t required one yet but, have a USB standing by just in case.🤣 

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

My new desktop computer arrived today, so my work is cut out for me -- setting up, transferring files (have everything on externals, but want to double-check), familiarizing myself with new OS.

I know @Frozenoem will be happy to know I am finally kicking 7 to the curb.  Woman LOL

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

About time, the good news it’s easy you’ll wrap your brain around it in no time.

Closer to Win 7 than 8 or 8.1, at least in terms of doing what’s expected of it.

@catwoman500 

My scripts are turned off in my browsers, Chrome works even with AARP as does Edge and Firefox , Brave and Safari.

Only use scripts to watch internet TV, for Xinqular/ Comcast.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Folks,

80 right now and humid. Temps will be rising this afternoon. Hoping I don’t have to put on the AC, but probably will. Also on the rise …the “harvest moon” will be rising the night of Friday the 13th! Beware!  Cat LOL

Oooooooh!Oooooooh!

Had breakfast out with a friend this AM. Will be doing all sorts of exciting things like laundry, etc. the rest of the day.

Have a good rest of the day. N.

Honored Social Butterfly

77* waiting for rain 15 minutes out.

@catwoman500 

With your script message, just tell it to stop, it won’t hurt anything.

@MsStretch 

If you require a cheat sheet for the care and feeding of your Windows 10, just ask. Have many floating about on my hard drive(s).

Have similar for all flavors of Windows, Mac’s, etc.

The joy of IT, I’m not the only one confusing flavors of computers.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem, think I stuck a couple of cheat sheets in the cloud myself.  Know I got a folder of stuff on OneNote.  I'll end up diving in and just start pushing buttons to see what they do, and when I get frustrated, then, it's to the cheat sheets (or Bing). Take me a few days probably to get everything like I want it.  But thanks for the offer and stand by.  Woman LOL

I'm bad, but don't even have it out of the box yet.  Had a couple of things I was working on and wanted to wrap up (without having to download compatible drivers, transfer and find applicable files, download necessary programs, re-sign in, etc.). 

Tomorrow is a DMV day.  My driver's license expires next month and although I usually take care of renewals, tags, registration online, I'm going for the RealID now that VA finally has it in place.  I was able to pre-register online, but now I have to take all applicable documents confirming who I am, where I am. what I am (that was a PITA finding all that stuff!) to the office in person.  Under no illusion I'll be able to get in and out in no time.  Hurry up and wait.  Got the Kindle charged up.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem , Thanks for the info, but it is only this AARP website/page that the script thing occurs. The link advises not to do anything if it doesn't happen on any other page. So? Guess I'll just let it be for now.

Congrats @MsStretch! I set up my first computer, but had an expert set this one up. No way could I do it. Good for you! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

GO PACK GO!

69861668_10157841020966929_3753987981493403648_n.jpgFB_IMG_1544984042897.jpgFB_IMG_1539726123321.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

Miserably hot here folks.   We hit 96 yesterday after a morning low of 64.  Looking at 90s for about 10 days but the nights are getting cooler.   Life is hard enough without excessive heat.  Mom's companion is in the hospital again and life is tough here. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Friday of September!

Hoping everyone has a great weekend and hoping you are safe as Dorian moves North up the Atlantic coast. 

70460029_423830924915167_1721933847316135936_n.jpggiphy.gif615YlFRk+6L._SY879_.jpg69681418_2844221005608062_4492348045710589952_n.jpgFB_IMG_1549040217119.jpg

Dave,

Great pictures ❣️❤️ and post..

I saw on the news today, that someone stole a Rollercoaster. Yes, just part of a traveling fairs Roller Coaster . 

Well, keep an eye on everything. You never know what you will lose. Please be safe .  Nancy

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Peeps, Remember when we always used to say, "TGIF?"

Don't need to say it when you are retired because every day is a Friday! Cat Wink

It's cloudy, dreary, and looks like it will rain any minute now thanks to the edges of Dorian, but we're safe. At least it's cool!  We'll be lucky if we hit 70 today, but that's fine with me. I did have to break down and put the AC on one day this past week when we hit 90. I'm hoping we don't get any real rain since tonight is one of our plays and I don't want to get soaked on the way in or out.

So 2 of our friends came back from a vacation in the Ukraine on Wednesday and were not able to get home to Myrtle Beach from Newark airport. They spent a couple of days with another friend and hope to get out this afternoon...they do have their boarding passes, so I'll find out later if they took off and what they got home to. Hopefully no damage!

I stopped at Starbucks today and tried the nitro cold brew. I had it with the sweet cream and it's really good. You don't need to add anything to it. Very smooth. A little expensive though!

Hoping none of you had to evacuate. Stay safe and enjoy this first full weekend of the month. N.

Take the chill off.Take the chill off.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Eagles logo.png

Hi, Everyone!

I finally am able to get this page to work!

Anyone else having trouble getting on our page today? It kept saying there was a long running script, but it wouldn't recover.

Anyway…Today is another nice day here. It was 57 when I woke up and is now 77. We may hit 80 later.

Today is the mushroom festival in Kennett Square, PA, the mushroom capital of the world.

So, people out and about have to decide what to do…browse the mushrooms or head to the Eagles opener against the Redskins. I doubt there are any seats left at the game. People were on the news at 6:30 this AM roasting their pigs and smoking their “whatever” meats at the tailgating event. They say the "aroma" (stink, IMO) wafts for blocks and blocks on game days. Never saw the appeal of wearing meat smoke as a perfume.

Anyway...at halftime we are not doing well. Redskins 20; Eagles 7.

Happy mushroom eating and

GO EAGLES!

So many kinds of mushrooms!So many kinds of mushrooms!

Honored Social Butterfly

Hail to the Redskins!Hail to the Redskins!

OK, it's on, @catwoman500 !

Although Eagles have come back with a vengence in 2nd half.  Just scored their 2nd TD in 3rd quarter.  20-21.  Woman Sad

*Knocking on wood*  Have experienced no problems with getting to the front porch today.  Those 'script' warnings are a bee-yach.

GO REDSKINS!

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...sorry about that win, but YAY! Cat Very Happy

Not sure what the problem was, but it seems to be working OK now.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500, yeah, that was painful to watch... to me anyway.  I have found over the past seasons, not to pay attention to the 1st half because whatever happened doesn't mean crap after halftime.  32-27 -- not as bad as I thought it was going to end up being, but a loss is a loss and a division loss is even worse.  *sighs*

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MsStretch ...I'm kind of a jinx, so I didn't even watch the first half, but then got swept up in the game as we started to make strides. I also meant to mention that my Acme (grocery store) gives a 5% discount on your total if you wear Eagles apparel on game day, so that kind of works out for me since I do my shopping on Sunday mornings and most games are on Sunday. It was fun to see everybody walking in with an Eagles shirt today. There was one couple who comes every Sunday who are Cowboys fans. I made the mistake of saying, "Even for a 5% discount you wouldn't wear Eagles?" And they almost jumped down my throat and barked back, "We just live in the wrong state!" Cat LOL

Greetings,

Just wanted to remind everyone to use your AARP rewards for goods points before September 24. They are changing the program. I understand that we will lose all of the points.

I have to send a Big Thank you 😘 to  Epster. About 2 years back , she helped me navigate the program. I would have been so lost without the time and energy she spent helping me. Epster Rocks.,. Hope you are doing and Biking and 🐦 watching. Thanks Again Epster.

I  was able to help 10 veterans with clothes and other items they needed or wanted.  Again, my sincerest thanks, EPSTER. I have to redeem my points.

Just over cast here , but nice and cool 😎

Honored Social Butterfly

@n566192l wrote:

Greetings,

Just wanted to remind everyone to use your AARP rewards for goods points before September 24. They are changing the program. I understand that we will lose all of the points.

I have been logging in daily entering sweepstakes and donating the max points allowed each day for over a month  (You think I would have won something by now. Woman LOL)  Still have close to 90K points to unload, BUT not to worry.  This was recently posted in the Rewards For Good forum:

@AARPTeri wrote:

We can't thank you enough for your participation over the years, but our Thank You Sweepstakes can!  Any unused points you have when the program becomes AARP Rewards will automatically be entered for a chance to win one of the following:

Two Grand Prizes: $500 Visa® Prepaid Card

Two First Prizes:  $250 Visa® Prepaid Card

Five Second Prizes:  $100 Visa® Prepaid Card

Fifty Third Prizes:  $50 Visa® Prepaid Card

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.  Open only to consumers who have opted into the AARP Rewards For Good Loyalty program who are legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.) and are least 18 years of age.  See Official Rules for odds, how to enter by mail, how to opt-out of the automatic entries, and prize details, at https://bit.ly/31KiXec.  Mail in or Opt-out requests must be post marked by 9/23/19. Void where prohibited. 

MsStretch,

Thank you! For posting about the rewards forum, I totally forget to look there. See, Epster sent me the links to everything. However, I let someone use my phone, anyway , my phone went back to the original settings and all was lost. I am not great with my phone to begin with just funny 😂. But, I'm trying to catch up with the world. This is the reason when I find boxes in the unit it's such a surprise. I get so excited for the discovery. Just like a little kid 😂.  Thank you! For posting the details of the rewards for Goods program.

Nancy

Catwoman500,

Funny you mentioned mushrooms, I just picked up all kinds at the Red Bank Farmers Market. I had no idea how many different varieties there are these days.  

I went to an Air Show at The Flying W yesterday. I just love to ❤️❤️😍 to see all the all planes.

Then I went over to the storage unit at Fort Monmouth, to see if I had stuff for the Share. I found some surprise boxes.  Glad my friends helped me straighten up here. Boxes of supplies can be mailed out. Which is better than just sitting here.

Weather is just great here. I'm off to the Share in Asbury Park.

Frozen,

Your box will be mailed this week. I'm adding stuff your winter is coming. Lol.  I going to try to help you keep the weight on. Call me anytime Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

I think I’m back for now, weird week.

Last night it went down to 37*, great sleeping weather. Tomorrow 80’s return for a while, I know Winters coming but can’t think of it.

On mushrooms, unearthed my last bag of dried, vintage 1988.

Reconstituted in water and still good feel “Bigos” or Hunters Stew in my future.

If I find the recipe to go with last pkg of Moose in fridge. Not a hunter but, partial payment on computer recovery in meat.

Time to call my snowblower guy again, and get started on firewood hauling back to garage.

Enjoy

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Weird things are going on for me with this page. I can get to @Frozenoem 's latest post, but can't go back a page to give kudos to anything else. That darn "long running script" thing keeps popping up.

Anyway, it's cloudy here and getting warmer. Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be in the 90's again. I hear you @LaDolceVita! UGH!

Hope everyone is having a good week. N.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP