Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! November - December CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! November - December CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to November 2019 Goodbye October. 

Hoping everyone has a great First Day November. 

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

29* and cloudy on this Sunday.

Re: The pricey banana it was eaten by a performance artist, no charges pressed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/banana-art-eat-maurizio-cattelan-sale-price-auc...

@LaDolceVita 

You do what you need to do, goes with being the caregiver.

Yeah, I think we've all pretty much been there, or may find ourselves in your situation.

Alternatives are a bugger, and my ex- is dealing with them this am. Her new mother-in-law passed in hospice, stage4 cancer.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Re: The pricey banana it was eaten by a performance artist, no charges pressed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/banana-art-eat-maurizio-cattelan-sale-price-auc...

Froze

Makes you wonder, huh?  All a part of the 'artistic' concept?   After all, the hungry perp was a performance artist.  Shades of Banksy. 

Seriously, who takes a banana off a wall and eats it because they are hungry?  (That had to be one tasty banana. 😝 🍌)

Why do I hear "Gotcha" in the back of my head?

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Peeps!

It started out very chilly at 19 here this AM, but it has now warmed up to 39. Thank you, Sun!

Still expecting rain for Monday and Tuesday, but warming up quite a bit I hear.

Grocery store this morning, listed my Ebay stuff after that, finished all decorations, wrapped up the gifts for this week's activities, had lunch and several mugs of Joe, and now I need to work on my Christmas cards.

@LaDolceVita ...those darn stair lifts turn into life savers. I never had the one here removed after my mom passed, and now I am super glad I didn't. No way could I go up and down those stairs without it. I should have it either overhauled or replaced, and if I do, I may get one for the basement stairs. Doing laundry is such a chore with the stairs.

Hope everyone has a good week!

I run on coffee and christmas cheer.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Think everyone will have a little rain upon their parades today. 36* and slushy presently rain falling upon my snow.

Expecting 50's tomorrow but, realistically in Maine means 20's the next day and skating rinks everywhere, especially the street.

@n566192l 

If you want copy/paste in structions, or post photo to AARP, let me know and give me a time, I'll call you.

Will be actually in office today👎, more coffee there.

Anyone else pm with phone number and will actually turn on my laptop.

For once no appointments today.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, Porch Peeps,

Yes, it's a dreary day here, but all the way up to 46. Still feels ugly because of the dampness.

Went to the post office today to mail a sale and get Christmas stamps....then the dentist for the temporary crown. Didn't have any coffee this AM and regret it now because my lip and cheek are still numb and I CAN"T TASTE THE COFFEE!!! Cat Mad

Besides the dribble out the right side of my lip, I can't believe it affects the taste. I don't ever remember that effect from other dental procedures with Novocaine. Sheesh! it smells so good and tastes like nothing.

Need to finish up writing my Christmas cards today so I'm off the get that done.

Hope you all have a lovely week.

Maybe I'll try more coffee later.Maybe I'll try more coffee later.

Honored Social Butterfly

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Good afternoon, Porchers!

It's 38 degrees here. Feels like 28.  I'm sixty-something and I feel like it too! Smile. It's partly cloudy with breaks of sun and blue skies here and there. Still in my jammies and I don't feel bad about it.

My To Do list is nagging me, but I am doing my best to ignore it.  I think I'm winning--at least for now.  No real plans for today or tomorrow; nothing other than rest and relaxation. And binge watching Ray Donovan. Nice!

Hope everything is everything for everyone out there on Our Front Porch.  Best weekend wishes ever to you all.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Saturday, Everyone.

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Ever been to Pearl Harbor? Very sad place.

Dad was stationed in Hawaii for a while, also North Africa.That was before I was born.

I think I have most of my Christmas shopping done. This past week I finally got the tree finished and most of the house decorations are up. Last night was the first night I turned on all the candles and the floodlight on the front door wreath. Glad my window candles are on at dusk/off at dawn type. Before that I was going upstairs every night to unplug the darn things. LOL!

On Thursday some of the girls went to this estate for Christmas tea. It was beautifully done. Took a picture of the fireplace in the room where we were seated. Hope it loads.

Next week is full. Temporary crown gets put in Monday, doctor's Tuesday, and then finally the nice things...Christmas lunch with the girls and a Chrsitmas breakfast with another group.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing lead-in to the holidays.

@Frozenoem ...The shot of those traps is great! Also...I have no idea how to do any of those tech things you mentioned. I am so not comfortable with anything that involves doing something /anything to the computer. I'm a visual learner and would have to have somone right here next to me showing me what to do and then watching as I do it. Cat LOL

Music room fireplace at Cairnwood EstateMusic room fireplace at Cairnwood Estate

My tree this yearMy tree this year

Honored Social Butterfly

Think it's 20 on this Saturday afternoon, still waiting for more than mere inches of snow. Rain/sleet it's just easier to leave snow on driveway/walkways.

@catwoman500 

When in doubt YouTube search can be your friend - for how to run your product update or scans.

Covers windows 10 updates to antivirus, antimalware, java, etc.

I tend to require a computer in front of me vs iPhone, that won't be happening until tomorrow, had to go upcountry slowly, at least all the potholes are covered in snow🤣.

Your pictures posted, and hopefully mine shall as well.

Had some friends out on the roads today, eating road salt for 

a little zing.Salt lick from road saltsSalt lick from road salts

Enjoy

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Bear Good Morning GIF - Bear GoodMorning ConyAndBrown GIFs

Everybody!!!!

Despite the perkiness of my animation above, I'm barely awake this morning. But I thought I'd check in on this second day of December.  Today we have an expected high of 38 degrees.  Low about 27 degrees.  Cloudy.  Damp.  But no snow. 

Right now, I'm feelin' just about as whimpy as this day is.  So after having breakfast and doing a few household chores, I think it'll be back to bed for me. Nothing like a mid-morning nap after a skimpy night's sleep and a sluggish wake up to a dreary day.

Hope everyone on Our Front Porch is well and doing okay.  I know we all have our various issues and maybe even trials and tribulations, but it is yet good to be on this side of God's green earth.  And so in spsite of my sometimes lingering malaise, I am joyously jumping up inside (my head) with the prospect and promise of new days ahead. Things will get better Porchers and remember, "This too shall pass."

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello, Everyone,

Well it looks like I'm back. It's almost like AARP gets constipated on my computer for a few days and then feels better. During the whole time I couldn't get on here via the computer I was still able to play AARP games. Go figure.

So this I what I was going to say on Black Friday...

Of course this was the year my friend put pumpkin pie back in the mix, so I had some for breakfast and then again at dinner. She also had this great chocolate cake. She sent me home with some turkey and stuffing! And I went to bed with some Tums… I’m so not used to eating so many different foods in one day!

Friday was my bimonthly trip to the bank and Fresh Market, etc., but I was afraid there was going to be so much traffic because of it being Black Friday…boy was I surprised! No one in the bank, hardly anyone in Fresh Market, not one car in Starbuck’s drive through, and no lines at the Giant (grocery store). Hardly any traffic either. It was so weird! I was smiling all the way!

Have (Hope you had) a good weekend…it’s time to jingle!

Very cold here with a little light snow yesterday and overnight last night.

Hoping the meme will post for me...

This is how I felt Thanksgiving night!This is how I felt Thanksgiving night!

Here's the cake that was served along with the pumpkin pie!Here's the cake that was served along with the pumpkin pie!

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this first Sunday and day of December 2019! Hoping everyone has a great week ahead and an enjoyable month. Not the brightest of days here!

1483047_651186404932119_1364071250_n.jpga9cryzgccaak3l0.jpg75569706_10158182463267971_7360921913473892352_n.jpgphoto-1538220856186-0be0e085984d.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning everyone on the Front Porch on this last Friday of November! We had a dusting of snow earlier with a forecast of more snow showers over the weekend. Had a quiet Thanksgiving with breakfast out and then went to see the movie Ford v Ferrari. Mary and I enjoyed it an would recommend seeing it.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend.

75332774_512172232847949_4540578230637166592_n.jpg20106495_1630217926997309_2048287907041013452_n.jpgFB_IMG_1557627882377.jpgFB_IMG_1549040217119.jpg

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Was ready to post yesterday and once again I'm blocked from posting,  so am on the phone right now.  Had a great photo to post,  but it will have to wait since I have no idea how to do that on phone or tablet. 

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! See you soon, I hope. 

🦃 N.

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Posting pictures on phones and pads are much the same as on computers.

Scroll up, press the camera icon,

tap away merrily, find your picture from phone/pad, highlight with check mark and click done.

It's 20* and sunny here, looking forward to a coastal storm - Sunday night to Tuesday.

Not that much for me👍 , caught my first "Hillbilly Weatherman" of the season - so I'll survive.

Enjoy the snow. People in less than 5 months, Frost heave season shall begin🤣.

Froze

227F4FD3-1795-45F7-8191-707A64C2FD8F.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, All !

We have temps in the high thirties today with predictions of much the same for the entire week to come. No sun and cold.  Cloudy, but dry.  No rain.  No snow. Yay!

I've been hibernating for the past two or three days.  I only went out to drag my garbage and recycling cans to the street curb and back.  And then yesterday, I ventured out to the garage to haul in some additional wood for the fireplace.  I've been keeping the fires burning every day and night and have enjoyed the warmth and the sleepiness it brings to me all day.  Truly there's something to be said for the lazy days of fall and long days off from work.

And as for the fat pants issue, I have found peace in my elastic banded Ohio State pajama bottoms. The question will be, will I fit into my dress lacks once I return to work.  But as for now, c'est la vie! 

@catwoman500, from time to time, I, too, have had similar problems with getting on the site.  What works for me is just shutting down the whole computer, waiting 10 or 15 minutes, and then booting back up.  And wheeee, I'm back in!

Hope everybody enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday and are yet enjoying the weekend.  I'm gonna get back to it.

Have fun!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

Greetings and Salutations, Front Porchers!

On this wonderful day of reminisince and thanksgiving, I wish everyone here and all over our land a day of peace, rest, and love.  To all of our Peepers, whether celebrating with family and friends or restfully alone, I wish you all a double portion of goodwill and...good humor!  

But some turkeys are smart...

And yet others are a little more...proactive when it comes to self-preservation!

But once the debate is settled...

and dinner's been served....

All bets are off and it's time to....

Enjoy the Day!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Thanksgiving morning to everyone on the Front Porch November 2019. Cloudy and cool here in Madison today. Hoping everyone has a great weekend and stays safe in your home on Black Friday!

74426610_1099135627097689_3791212647731429376_o.png.jpghappy-thanksgiving-wishes.jpgBelk.jpegil_1588xN.2048393928_7nla.jpg1959558_10152593263063458_3179898487643218561_n.jpg2013-TSop3.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Here's wishing a great Thanksgiving to all.  I'm enjoying a day when I can do exactly what I want to do.  Right now I'm enjoying the parade on TV.  I baked a half-turkey yesterday so all I have to do is eat it today.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I trust everyone is hunkered down and watching parades and/or football games and smelling the waft of a Thanksgiving feast.

@DaveMcK, I hear you about staying home and safe on Black Friday.  However, I plan to #optoutside tomorrow and go hiking.  My new tradition, ever since REI started that campaign a few years ago.  

Many stores are opened or opening today in my neck of the woods.  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  Not on my to-do list.

@catwoman500, I read that some AC Moores will be converting to a Michael's, so you may still be in luck.

Stay safe.  Stay warm.  Be grateful.  And forget the fat pants; a nice pair of big comfy sweats will do just fine.  😉

Honored Social Butterfly

As folks everywhere reach for their "fat pants" in anticipation of our annual holiday feasting season,  Pooh asks a question and has a revelation.....

Image result for cartoon image of pooh and his fat pants

So you see, if your "fat pants" aren't "fat" enough, you can always take a page from Pooh's book on fashion sensibility.  Boy oh boy, I'm sure that would make your Thanksgiving festivities far more interesting "this" year than last...and far more revealing as well!  lol

In advance....

Lyds

Recognized Social Butterfly

Very warm in the southland  or at least in my part  of it.  Will go to 70 today and mid 60s for about 5 days or so.  Feels pretty good after a wintry early November. 

I will cook a small Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow for the 3 of us.  Oh yeah the dogs will get some too.   Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Mild day here, but the wind is picking up. Kind of gloomy, too.

@n566192l ...I'm devastated about AC Moore closing. I like Michaels and JoAnn's, but AC Moore is closer and has more of my supplies/trims for my crocheted doll clothes. Cat Sad

I'm running around the house like a nut today trying to get a bunch of chores done and making the Waldorf salad for tomorrow. Now I have to make a pot of vegetables for my own meals.

I feel like this...

Yep, that's right!Yep, that's right!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in case I don't get back here tomorrow! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this Friday morning 2019.

Here are a few more photos from the performance of Hamilton here in Madison showing the spectacular costumes.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend. 

5dd67adc2a5d0.image.jpg5dd67add02f4a.image.jpg74614091_3154144214602084_6285135212594593792_n.jpgFB_IMG_1530291086061 (1).jpgc6143bc37bd2fd68af068097b243084a.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning, Porch Peeps!

I am glad to report that it is sunny here today.  And although the temps are still low--35 degrees, it is dry and no rain or snow is on the immediate horizon.  So I'm happy about that.

I had planned on a relatively uneventful weekend this weekend as I knew I had to work a double shift today.  But a slight change in plans occurred when a friend of mine (a friend of forty-plus years), came out for a visit.  She had been feeling a bit depressed and lonely of late.  So I offered her my guest room for a brief one day respite.  Well, the brief stay turned into a twenty five mile drive and a four-plus hour overnight wait in a hospital emergency room from 11pm last night to 3am this morning.  

Since she thought she might be admitted, she insisted I go home as I had to be on shift by 8:30am this morning.  So feeling she was in good hands and in the best place possible, I raced home and threw myself into bed and believe or not, I was asleep in a matter of moments.  And it seemed like only a few moments had passed when my eyes popped open at 6:40am and my feet immediately hit the floor.  From then on I was in a rush.  

I showered, dressed, did my hair, took my meds, fixed a bowl of oatmeal with fresh crushed walnuts, juice, and milk.  Then I microwaved two TV dinners and along with them, I packed an apple, two oranges, a small block of sharp cheddar cheese, some walnuts, and three frozen bottles of water and then at the last minute, for good measure, I threw in one piece of fried chicken--just in case! 

I made my bed.  I straightened up the guest room and the family room which my restless guest had used as her lounge area and required a good deal of pick-up. I clicked the auto-start on the car so as to be warmed and ready for me.  Then I took out the trash and the recylcing. After that, I packed my meds, my journal, and some other sundry items needed at work and after setting the alarm and locking up the house, I was off!  

Whew!!! By 7:51, I was in my nicely warmed vehicle and was backing out of my driveway and on my way to work--back down that same 25 mile stretch I had driven just a few hours ago when the race was to get my friend (who does has have heart problems) to the hospital.  Now, I was in a race to get to work on time and that without a getting ticket.  

I'm happy to report, both were a success!  Oh, and BTW, unbeknownst to me, while I was dashing around the house trying to get myself together, my friend happily texted me at 6:30am--saying that she was on her way home. 

Wishing all my Front Porch Peepers a Wonderful and Happy last day of the weekend!

Image result for enjoy your sunday

Image result for enjoy your sunday

Honored Social Butterfly

@LydiaN586309, I am in awe.  You did all that in an hour?!  Even having taken a shower and laid out and packed everything I need the night before, it still takes me longer than that to get out the door.  Although I have overslept and had to go into full throttle, but it throws me into total disarray and something gets forgotten or bypassed.

@n566192l, gotta love your sense of humor in the face of adversity.  First a rubber ducky, then a pink flamingo.  🐤🦩  Too funny.  You go, girl! 😄

Recognized Social Butterfly

@n566192l   You are really catching your share of what seems to be going around.  Sorry and I hope you are feeling OK.

@FrozenoemI just read your post about you riding for over an hour w/o coffee and appointment being cancelled by doctor.  I think that they are trying to avoid you Woman Mad.  You are very tough to put up with what you are putting up with.

Beautiful fall weather here.  Hope everyone is getting their share of it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Hate to say it, I'm almost getting used to breaking parts and pieces. But, the Doctor had a believable issue, she was busy giving birth to a new set of twins.

Yes, that has been rescheduled to new Doctor, December to February are booked with 4 more doctors.

If I dwell on it, will surely go bonkers. Just trying to stay mobile and eventually go somewhere other than a sub shop to eat.

My back has said no, that's not happening for awhile. Exercises are working but, slowly. Sitting for more than 10 minutes ain't happening, really getting tired of immobility.

@n566192l 

If I had situation would have probably gone with decoys or flamingoes in the yard as well.

As for my snow it came, was plowed before I arose but, really would have enjoyed a chance at removing.

Maybe on Sunday, when the next storm rolls around👍, should be able to move by then, knocking on wood.

Froze

Time to stagger

Honored Social Butterfly

Good Morning, Peeps!

Just in case y'all don't know...it's National Cake Day

So give in to temptation, indulge your sweet tooth, and take a thirty minute walk later.  Ummm.  Yum!

Warmer today. 48 degree high. Clear and sunny.  No rain or snow.  I'm good.

@Frozenoem@n566192l -- Hope you both feel better.

Everyone else, please take care of you!

Lyds

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening 40* and dark, spent the day bringing wood into house, a treat kinda a long one but, a treat.

Can't bend or move quickly but, taking exercise where I can get it.👍

Expecting snows to be an every 2 days event starting on Wednesday/ Thurs, Mon/Tues,...

I'd make a cake but, not enough ingredients in house. Guilty of being scratch baker, I like to eat and too many years with Julia Child growing up.

Afraid my fat pants would be 2 sizes smaller. But, at least I now can find the correct length🤣.

@MsStretch 

Gotta ask have you found similar to Faded Glory at WallyWorld for Comfort and price in Carpenter's. Important question really?🤣

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

Afraid my fat pants would be 2 sizes smaller. But, at least I now can find the correct length🤣.

@MsStretch 

Gotta ask have you found similar to Faded Glory at WallyWorld for Comfort and price in Carpenter's. Important question really?🤣

Froze

Next time I am in WallyWorld (although it will NOT be in the next four days), I will check.  I did go to their website and found some CAT pants (gotta love all the pockets) with 36" inseam, but too big around. 

I saw a pair of 27 x 38 jeans for the bargain price of $98, since the same jeans in a 28 X 36 go for $109!  Really?!  27 x 38? 😮 Must be some long tall toothpick.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP