Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! MAY - JUNE CLOSED

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. We had an overnight shower to ring in the morning on the Front Porch! Welcome to May 2019. Going to be a busy day tomorrow if we do not have more rain. Remember that March - April is CLOSED now.

httpsi.pinimg.comoriginals2945d62945d60f334132db56d883665bcdd306.jpg

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on this Thursday morning on the Front Porch! NBC told is story today. Have a great day everyone. Check out links below. 

Link: https://hiddenheroes.org/grants/

Link: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218666980165458&id=1226831037

Recognized Social Butterfly

Good morning folks.  We are enjoying the low 90s for the next week or so with temps 69-70 at night.  Anything above 70 is sheer misery because the house & the outdoors dot not cool off to give that freshness in the early morning that I really like.  The homestead location is staying below 70 at night except for 1 day next week.  We often do get miserable weather by Memorial Day although sometimes we manage to get through June w/o hitting the 90s and that is lovely.  It is not going to be a nice summer the way it is starting out.  Ticks are abundant.  Have found 3 on myself but none on dogs.  Weird.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Have had 2 great days weatherwise but today is going to be crazy. We've already had a few showers and sun...temp is 68 right now, headed to 80's. Bad thing is the wild forecast for storms with wind, lightning, hail and possible tornadoes. I am off to see a play, Dial M for Murder, at the historic Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, PA. Of course the storms are supposed to begin while we are in the theater, so driving home alone will be iffy. At least it's a matinee and not at night. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can dodge the worst or that the storms take another path. HA! I'll let you know.

Have a weather-good day! N.

Honored Social Butterfly

66* and cloudy, the rains are preparing to hit hard. Thunderstorms appearing on radar now and not silly little banks but, big muthas.

Have been uptohere in troubleshooting errors for Win10, both here an on-calls.

One more day to answers - hopefully🤣 9 months in Hades gets really old really fast.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

We go hit with a hellatious storm this afternoon.  Power blinked -- enough to send my computer, TV (all FIOS) into catatonic stage followed by recovery/reboot mode.  After the recent tragedy across the street, I headed downstairs in my little house.  Thought about encamping under the wrought iron spiral stairs (strong, right?  like standing in a doorway?), but If one of these big trees around here fell, it might be harder extricating me from tangle of iron.  Amazing what goes through your mind after a tragic incident hits close to home.  *shivers*

@LaDolceVita, I started picking off ticks back in March, so yes, it promises to be a healthy season for them.  Funny how immune they are to any kind of climate change.  I used to use Repel 100, but deet can be invasive including melting certain plastics and rubbers (imagine what it does to skin?), but it worked and I put up with the inconveniences, secondary to little insects sucking my blood and causing incessant itching for weeks.   But I've since discovered picaridin.  Safe to spray on clothes and yes! skin, too and works just as well, if not better, and no ucky, icky sticky feeling.

Everyone, stay safe.  Such tragedies unfolding in OK and MO.

@MsStretch   Thanks big time for the information of picaridin.  Looking it up now.  I am not well versed in insect repellants, I usually just dont pay attention unless its on the dogs.  Well I pay attention as I am scratching the bites from deer fly & mosquitoes.  More scared of the chemicals I guess, although I am plenty scared of tick borne diseases.  Is there a brand that is recommended more than another?  Amazon has a plethora of sprays & lotions.  Should check the Walmart site too I guess.  These things are expensive!!

On the subject of trees.  Having moved from Tx we used to try to keep all trees growing around us.  Seeing what a tree did to my neighbor's house I would like to keep them a bit farther now.  Too late, we have a giant oak very close. 

@catwoman500  Was your drive home from the theater hair raising?

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

@MsStretch   Thanks big time for the information of picaridin.  Looking it up now.  I am not well versed in insect repellants, I usually just dont pay attention unless its on the dogs.  Well I pay attention as I am scratching the bites from deer fly & mosquitoes.  More scared of the chemicals I guess, although I am plenty scared of tick borne diseases.  Is there a brand that is recommended more than another?  Amazon has a plethora of sprays & lotions.  Should check the Walmart site too I guess.  These things are expensive!!

On the subject of trees.  Having moved from Tx we used to try to keep all trees growing around us.  Seeing what a tree did to my neighbor's house I would like to keep them a bit farther now.  Too late, we have a giant oak very close. 

I use Repel Tick Defense.  It comes in a red can.  Also excellent for mosquitoes and a plethora of other annoying little BUGgers.  This old hiker swears by it.

I got it at Walmart in the camping section.  But one day, I went in to restock and NO more Repel red cans!  What?!  Went to their website where still available and ordered for pick-up.  This year, I checked my local Walmart again just for grins, and they had it again, on a very top shelf (usually used for extra restocks) and I grabbed all I could reach without a ladder.  (But, admittedly, I like being able to just order online and pick it up ready to go without the hunt and check-out hassle.)

Trees are nice.  They provide nice shade and cover during those dog days of summer, but during a storm?  Un-uh.  I have a big oak in the middle of my deck!  I often have thought if it came down and didn't smash the house, the roots would take out the building!

Deck treeDeck tree

Surrounded by trees.  (The gray shed to the left is the temporary winter kitty encampment which housed their heated huts and cabins.  I plan on taking it down for the summer, but does make a nice rain shelter.  And look!  It's survived the storms and high winds!Surrounded by trees. (The gray shed to the left is the temporary winter kitty encampment which housed their heated huts and cabins. I plan on taking it down for the summer, but does make a nice rain shelter. And look! It's survived the storms and high winds!

@MsStretch   That tree surrounded by the deck makes one very nervous.  When I was a SE newbie straight from Tx I would have thought that was the cat's meow.   Trees come down w/o waiting for storms, in my experience.  Sorry, I hope I am not making you nervous about it.Smiley Embarassed 

OK after reading more of your posts  @Frozenoem  & @MsStretch my healthy respect for trees and the damage they can do is even higher ;-).    I have visited Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest twice and the largest trees there were the tulip poplars, the most notorious for falling over after pines.

Honored Social Butterfly

69* and sunny and with luck the kennel gets mowed. 

@LaDolceVita 

Relax, breath deep and enjoy the trees, more stay up than fall over.

I enjoy all and am a bit of a treehugger😇

In other news, more tests begin along with salty language.No answer until 8th round of testing.

@DaveMcK 

I actually copied “land of the free” last night to correct some people.

Thanx for the picture.

I leave all with Chell vs the squirrel.

7F5F17FD-2F98-4218-A921-9DE28C3BBC0B.jpeg

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

Friday was such a nice day...a great way to start Memorial Day weekend.

Our little borough of Hatboro has an annual carnival come to town for the week and they set up in Miller Meadow, a short walk into town from my house (if I was still able to walk that far).

On the Friday night of the carnival, weather permitting, they have a fireworks display and I can enjoy it from my FRONT PORCH. So even though I haven’t gotten around to opening up the porch and taking the covers off the furniture, I took one cover off and sat to watch the fireworks. So enjoyable. I think all the people from my neighborhood were gathered at my corner since it is a great place to see them. I of course was not visible in my PJ’s. Cat LOL

It’s going to be a hot one today and then a bit cooler tomorrow. Right now we are sunny and 74, heading to a humid 90 with storms later.

Enjoy your day. N.

Greetings All,

Just placed the last 2 veterans on my list. Still can't believe how long each placement is taking me, Sending out supplies to the others, just boxing up their want s and needs. Just having a BBQ later for some veterans. First have to pick up donations for the weekly share. Next week I will be  having my surgery. Just trying to keep busy.  Stay safe Nancy ❣️

@n566192l  Surgery?   I do not recall you posting about it.  Yikes, I hate medical anything other than maybe teeth cleaning.  I tend to feel sorry for myself because I  am tired all the time but I must buck up since you & Froze are facing stuff that is not fun.

Hot & miserable here, 94 for a high & will continue till Friday.  Then 80s for a few days but back to the 90s after that.  Humidity is not terrible yet.

@Frozenoem  Very nice pic of tree, squirrel & Chell.  Nice ears on the dog!

Honored Social Butterfly

72* partly cloudies and partly raining.

@LaDolceVita 

Try to take a picture with a dog attached to leash and phone in one hand, cane in the other, it’s unique experience.

Show motion while attempting to remain upright, after many floppy eared dogs love the twitching of Dutchie uprights. 

You can tell when she’s about to fly, when both tips go down, watch out. She has tells subtle but, tells.

Tell would be little twist in right ear, when left ear matches, I’m gonna get me a squirrel, gopher, Chuck, deer or moose.

Aw heck someone likes curiously strong peppermints.🤣

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch 

Need to agree with you on Picaridin, tried last week.

If swarmed by little ravenous buggers without a can of Deet handy it worked without the rash of 100%.

Even my Otterbox (on phone) was happy plastic cover over touch screen stayed clear, vs smudged plastic.

For clothes presently treated, I’ll stick with Permethrine for this season. Still have a couple of cans kicking around from my Ranger Froze and Camp days, still haven’t expired🤣.

I’ll do anything possible to keep Chelli and me safe from ticks. One to many Moose have been spied down by roads covered by ticks, and awaiting death up here.

Best suggestion during high wind storms , try to avoid trees close to house, second floor/roof usually hit first for tall trees.

Then just for joy you get the wayward tree that smacks the sidewall of house and moves it 1 feet. Happened at Camp, and wasn’t joyous moving Camp back in place again or piers.

Think along with expletives, ended up clearing most dangerous trees away from piers.

Only left old growth pines standing, removed trashier or dying trees. If something stands for 100+ years through everything from blizzards to hurricanes and high winds, it’ll probably remain standing.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

It’s morning - y’all

49* and sunshine we may hope, temps in the 60’s later, and NO rain until tonight.

Need to feed the pup, and give her a walk/stagger, pure expresso day upcoming.

Buckle up looks like severe weather is coming for most all this year, climate change anyone.

Planting fields are still mud up here. So much for early corn.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

Good afternoon to everyone on the Front Porch this Monday afternoon! Our morning started out around 50, cloudy and some wind. We had a good turn out for league golf considering the weather. My final score turned out to be better than I thought it would be. You never know! Looking at rain for the next few days. 

Hoping everyone has a great week. 

As shown below our mother Cardinal has been feeding her newborn babies which has been very hard to get a picture of. 

porch-rails-102.jpg12188027_1654176298192331_2738131929033426772_o.jpgFB_IMG_1556898316488.jpgFB_IMG_1554515041902.jpgdaisy-flower-spring-marguerite-67857.jpeg

Honored Social Butterfly

Image result for good sunday morning

Good Morning Indeed, Good Peeps,

It is a beautiful and sunny morning here!  The weatherman has said we will get up to 80 degrees, but........with terrible impending storms later in the afternoon.  I don't know what is with this guy.  First, he promises great weather and right behind it, he's foretelling doom and gloom.  Well, at least it's not snow and temps of minus below zero.  So I guess I'm gonna be happy with the first part of the day and just accept whatever comes later.  Can't do anything about it anyway.  So I'm just happy to be!

Hey @n566192l Nancy!  Glad to hear about your good weather. Hope your Spring cleaning is going well and not too exhausting for you.  Me?  I started out with such great ambition.  But my get up and go, got up and went before I could get everything that needed doing done.  But  I'm determined and there's always tomorrow, next week, and so on.  Also, Image result for congrats

on your daughter Ashley's graduation and moving on into her life.  Wonderful for both you and her!!!  

@catwoman500 , @Frozenoem , and @MsStretch ,  I missed the Northern Lights and don't even know if they were visible in my area as I was working all night and unable to leave the building even to take a look up.  But wherever they were, I'm sure they were a sight to see.  At least last night, I was able to see and enjoy the brightest and fullest full moon ever.  Even could see the Man in the Moon for sure.Image result for image of the man in moon

@LaDolceVita , I noticed how you said you are not fond of carpet.  Well, I'm just the opposite.  Although, I like the look of wood floors (in other people's homes), I absolutely love the warmth and cushiony comfort of carpeting under foot especially on cold winter mornings.  But isn't it wonderful that we have a choice!?!

Carpeting: A favorite of puppies and babies too!

Morning, @DaveMcK!  As always, I love your colorful postings filled with equally interesting writings about your thoughts and experiences.  Just nice!

Anyway, Our Front Porchers!!!!  Be blessed and.....

Image result for be blessed and have a good weekend

@n566192l  Bulk day?  You & Froze tend to come up w/ new phrases, haha.  I went on my day trip and my foot did very well.  I think its almost healed.  I must remember to do the heel lifts this AM.  I am hoping for a burst of energy pretty soon, not from coffee though.  I drank that much earlier in the day.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita 

Geez, even in population 700, I know what bulk day is, the day to put big stuff on the curb.

But, no curb’s or pickup in the country. Took long enough to get bears from feasting at the transfer station, don’t want them dining on the streets.

@LydiaN586309 

People tend to get a Might testy towards weathermen with bad news up here🤣.

That’s all I’ll say about that.

Need to go play in the rain @50* but, tomorrow the mtns May hit 80*, or people will be upset at weatherpeople again.😎.

ps-why people may get upset @ meteorolgists, up the road.

Sugarloaf, MESugarloaf, ME

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Good Afternoon, Peeps!

@Frozenoem , @LaDolceVita ...Our little borough has bulk article pick up on the first and third Wednesday of each month. However, we have to go to Borough Hall to PURCHASE a permit in order to put large articles at the street!

And of course no empty paint cans, propane cylinders, TV's, computers, or other stuff of that ilk are allowed.

Getting warmer here...right now it's 80! It will probably go a bit higher. I can feel the humidity creeping in, too.

Finished my Ebay listings so now it's time to package my 2 sales for the post office tomorrow.

Have a pleasant day! N.

No one in my neck of the woods has heard of bulk day.  Really.  People w/ large items living on acreage will either let the item sit or take it to a landfill eventually.  People not living on acreage, well they cannot let stuff sit on their property so they they dump it illegally.  Most of this dumping has stopped since our county has become populated or rather overpopulated.   We may not have dumping of trash (or unwanted pets) anymore but it has been replaced by constant traffic noise, lots of it.  It is a challenge to get my mail, only safe during low traffic hours. 

OK, no more compalaining, not even about high humidity & temps.

Honored Social Butterfly

I’m late at 76* a first for the season, inhaled my first black fly of the 2-week season.

Might actually stop burning wood in another week. Waiting impatiently for Friday while off-loading some toys.

@LaDolceVita 

Understand bulk pickup do to a 2-year stint in Charlestown and a big-ish town of 10,000 pop. Down the road.

Up here it’s about the same bit for bulk, enlist strong bodies and haul to dump or transfer station.

Problem with one mans trash is another’s treasure, have scored some real treasures up here.

Time to charge batteries and re-treat my clothes (Permethrine) with flies come ticks, and the start of Heartgard, etc for Chell.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

FB_IMG_1557927149651.jpg

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this overcast Friday morning! We are looking at more rain this afternoon here. Things are changing in our neighborhood as our neighbors  to the West have put their home up for sale. 

Hoping everyone has a great and restful weekend!

FB_IMG_1485452564824.jpgFB_IMG_1557926888483.jpgcurb-appealing-porch-railin.jpgFB_IMG_1552661984049.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

@DaveMcK @LaDolceVita  @n566192l  @catwoman500 

@LydiaN586309 @MsStretch 

Alright now Northern Lights alert including for VA, NY, NJ and pretty much everywhere else, if weather cooperates?

For tonight and tomorrow, get out and look up. Look toward the darkness, what a good night to have lent my camera for the week.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

https://cdn.softservenews.com/en/aurora-borealis-breaking-news/aurora-storm-watch-300173.html?catw=8...

That last will have tp be a copy& paste into browser, never apply frontline and attempt to copy/paste on a touchscreen.

Froze

ps - even Milwaukee May be in viewing area.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem wrote:

@DaveMcK @LaDolceVita  @n566192l  @catwoman500 

@LydiaN586309 @MsStretch 

Alright now Northern Lights alert including for VA, NY, NJ and pretty much everywhere else, if weather cooperates?

For tonight and tomorrow, get out and look up. Look toward the darkness, what a good night to have lent my camera for the week.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/aurora-30-minute-forecast

https://cdn.softservenews.com/en/aurora-borealis-breaking-news/aurora-storm-watch-300173.html?catw=8...

That last will have tp be a copy& paste into browser, never apply frontline and attempt to copy/paste on a touchscreen.

Froze

ps - even Milwaukee May be in viewing area.

Unfortunately, no mas.  There was a high Kp # for my area, but the cloud cover just would not  cooperate.  Bummer.

Honored Social Butterfly

Dang it, no joy in Maine either, clouds and scattered wet stuff in the way.

Actually stayed up most of the night and morning with stripes.

Froze

47* and dark

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, All,

No northern lights visible here...at least when I checked there was nothing.I think I'm too close to highway lights, etc. I did see stars that one night,  but the sky seemed too bright to show anything exciting.

Another sunny day. It has been wonderful. It's 70 already and we may go up a few more degrees. Tomorrow it may reach 80.

Went out for breakfast with friends and it was nice to have the car windows down a bit and "blast" my Pink CD. Cat LOL

Tonight is dinner out and Game Night, so I need to get something done around here.

Enjoy the weekend!

Kudos
Views

Greatings,

Just a beautiful day here in New Jersey. Also, bulk weekend in my town. So, I am cleaning out the house and shed. Hope everyone is doing well and is safe. Nancy

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to Everybody out there in Front Porchland!

I'm awake right now because I am nearing the end of a sixteen hour shift (having worked two shifts back to back).   I will soon be tooling home after first stopping by Mickey Dees for a breakfast sandwich and juice. Ohhhh, how I am looking forward to my warm bed (electric blanket will be turned on and up high as soon as I get there).  Not only is the body tired, but it's got pains and sore spots on toppa (sic) aches.  If I had the energy, I'd soak in a hot tub before turning in.  But naw, naw, naw!  While everybody else in getting up, I'm lookin' forward to "gettin' down" as it were!  Smile.

Anyway Front Porchers,  enjoy your Friday!  TGIF indeed!!!!  

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone on the Front Porch on this wet and soggy day! We are having a thunderstorm as I am posting and drinking coffee now. So there will be no league golt today as you would expect. 

FB_IMG_1526771545164.jpg0483dc3c3f922be69729bb9251430a59.jpg4_5.jpg

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP